Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and…

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Kazuo Ishiguro

Member:lrosenof
Title:Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall
Authors:Kazuo Ishiguro
Info:Knopf (2009), Hardcover, 240 pages

Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro (2009)

English (69)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  English (75)
Just finished this on audio. I really enjoyed this collection, read by various narrators. Some reviewers here argue not much happens in these stories, but I disagree. Not every story is about action or events. Sometimes the insight into human behaviour, emotions and decisions can be fascinating in its own right. That is what these stories seem to be about to me. This is my first Ishiguro and as others point out he is a talented writer. I recommend it. ( )
  jldarden | Dec 1, 2016 |
I don't have much to say about this collection--it didn't put me off of Ishiguro forever, there are quite a few books by him I'm still interested in, I'm just sorry this was my first.

The first story was quite strong, almost a 4 star, but the 2nd story especially was just ugh. I wanted to bleach my brain. I found the characters horribly stupid and selfish and there was no resolution at the end so it left me with a dissatisfied feeling because you don't know what else happens.

The rest of the stories just fell flat and I kept thinking about the next book on my November list. ( )
  ShyPageSniffer | Sep 29, 2016 |
Nocturnes is my first foray into Ishiguro's writing, which I've been meaning to try out for some time, and I wasn't disappointed. I really enjoy his story-telling style, which is introspective but unpretentious.

I really enjoy how Nocturnes uses various relationships with music to define and identify these characters, and to the author's credit, it's not difficult to get pulled into each narrative.

Having said all of that, I was very close to giving Nocturnesfour stars instead of three, because while the book is interesting, it didn't ever captivate me. My consideration for four stars was on account of appreciating Ishiguro's smooth writing, and attention to emotion. The music is apparent throughout, but it's only in reading each story that you realize very little of this entails a literal, but a metaphorical nightfall.

But ultimately, the only reason it took me over a month for this quick read is because I had to make myself finish it before moving on to the next thing. ( )
  christina.h | Sep 22, 2016 |
Edited 24.07.14:

Way too slow-paced and subtle to keep me focused on the stories.

Proper review to follow. Maybe. Or not.

Suffice it to say that some authors can pull off short stories but are not great at novels, and some are great novelists but struggle to deal with the confines of the short story format. Very few can do both.

I love Ishiguro as a novelist. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
interesting slices" of life ..."
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Novellen ”Schlagersångaren” är suverän, men även de andra är speciella och mycket läsvärda. Samtliga har temat musik och uppbrott eller slut. En sorgesång över något som människan fabricerat åt helsicke. Musik ur ”Gudfadern” är kongenialt ledmotiv i boken.

Unfortunately for the reader, these stories do not share the exquisite narrative command, the carefully modulated irony or the elliptical subtlety of Mr. Ishiguro’s strongest works like “Remains of the Day” and “Never Let Me Go.” Instead they read like heavy-handed O. Henry-esque exercises; they are psychologically obtuse, clumsily plotted and implausibly contrived.

Ishiguro's battery of talents are applied in Nocturnes to one goal—the scrubbing away of false romance, of clichéd resolutions, in life and in his writing. The result is a pitch-perfect riff on the sheer quirkiness of reality.

Ishiguro, Kazuoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bützow, HeleneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoppe, LincolnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rabinovitch, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Deborah Rogers
The morning I spotted Tony Gardner sitting among the tourists, spring was just arriving here in Venice.

In Nocturnes, a sublime story cycle, Kazuo Ishiguro explores ideas of love, music and the passing of time. From the piazzas of Italy to the Malvern Hills, a London flat to the ‘hush-hush floor’ of an exclusive Hollywood hotel, the characters we encounter range from young dreamers to cafe musicians to faded stars, all of them at some moment of reckoning.

Gentle, intimate and witty, this quintet is marked by a haunting theme: the struggle to keep alive a sense of life’s romance, even as one gets older, relationships flounder and youthful hopes recede.

From the award-winning author of Remains of the Day comes an inspired sequence of stories, which is as affecting as it is beautiful.

With the clarity and precision that have become his trademarks, Kazuo Ishiguro interlocks five short pieces of fiction to create a world that resonates with emotion, heartbreak, and humor. Here is a fragile, once famous singer, turning his back on the one thing he loves; a music junky with little else to offer his friends but opinion; a songwriter who inadvertently breaks up a marriage; a jazz musician who thinks the answer to his career lies in changing his physical appearance; and a young cellist whose tutor has devised a remarkable way to foster his talent. For each, music is a central part of their lives and, in one way or another, delivers them to an epiphany.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:05 -0400)

One of the most celebrated writers of our time gives us his first cycle of short fiction: five brilliantly etched, interconnected stories in which music is a vivid and essential character.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,628,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible