The Spellmans Strike Again: A Novel (Izzy…

The Spellmans Strike Again: A Novel (Izzy Spellman Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Lisa Lutz

Member:AprilBurk
Title:The Spellmans Strike Again: A Novel (Izzy Spellman Mysteries)
Authors:Lisa Lutz
Info:Simon & Schuster (2010), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 400 pages

The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz

English (54)  Piratical (1)  All languages (55)
Have I mentioned yet that I absolutely adore this series? I'm terribly skeptical about [a:Lisa Lutz|74189|Lisa Lutz|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1325011588p2/74189.jpg]'s proclamation that The Wire is better than Doctor Who and Get Smart but that may just be because I've not seen it yet. Still, what can be better than Doctor Who and Get Smart? Does The Wire have hilariously named robots that fight incredibly fake gorillas and/or threaten to exterminate you with plungers?

I thought not. Case closed.

When I first began reading [b:The Spellman Files|129117|The Spellman Files (The Spellmans, #1)|Lisa Lutz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1171981639s/129117.jpg|2896642] and the rest of the books in this series I was told this was the last one. Naturally, I forced myself to spend large amounts of time between the reading of the various 'documents' because I wanted the time with the characters to last. All things, however, must come to an end. In this case an end that wasn't truly an end since [b:Trail of the Spellmans|12166282|Trail of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #5)|Lisa Lutz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1329960906s/12166282.jpg|15400368] was released. Still, though, I can understand how one could choose this to be the true end of the series. Everything is wrapped up beautifully, if with a bit of resignation. No one likes to see some things end.

[a:Lisa Lutz|74189|Lisa Lutz|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1325011588p2/74189.jpg] herself, among others, have viewed the series not only in terms of the mysteries they portray but also as the evolution of the relationships within them. At the very beginning of the series, Isabel, the main character was remarkably immature and maladjusted. Well, the whole family was. You'd have to be mentally incapacitated to say that the Spellmans achieve normality at the end of this book, but they still have been making improvements. The transition to maturity is a long one, but one that [a:Lisa Lutz|74189|Lisa Lutz|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1325011588p2/74189.jpg] shows with good humor, cynicism, and a wide margin for error. I think just about everyone should love her for that.

Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
After agreeing to take over the family private investigation business, Isabel Spellman finds that she’s still surrounded by troubles, including a missing valet and an actor who enjoys his temporary role a little too much. Her mother’s not much help, what with having blackmailed Izzy into going on dates with “suitable professionals,” much to the chagrin of her boyfriend, Connor.

On top of all that, Izzy must contend with Rae’s machinations and her refusal to ride the bus, new family rules, and her now long-distance friendship with Morty. And there’s still smarmy Rick Harkey to deal with as Izzy continues her quest for some usable dirt on the Spellman’s main business rival.

Just what did happen on Prom Night 1994? Is Connor destined to become Ex-Boyfriend #12? And why, pray tell, are door knobs, towel racks, and light fixtures disappearing from the Spellman home?

The fourth of the six Spellman tales, this narrative focuses on Izzy’s struggles with her own concerns and her efforts to do whatever is necessary to keep the family business running. A subplot involving pro bono work and cases of incarcerated convicts who may actually be innocent keeps the story delightfully off-balance and results in a few unexpected surprises.

All the expected characters are in place and, with several mysteries to investigate, readers will find it difficult to set this book aside until they’ve reached the final page.

The Spellman family series continues in two more volumes of [presumably] hilarious family capers. Cue hijinks and laughter.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Dec 5, 2017 |
Not my favorite. Isabel is too self-aware that she's a character in a book and her personal growth is a subject. The book also seemed slow-going, and only started to feel like something worthwhile was happening when the Merriweather case was opened. I knew about Morty in advance, and now I wish I hadn't spoiled myself because when it happened it didn't have an impact.

With how she eventually dealt with the Mason case, Isabel seemed to have taken her cue from Holmes. "...but I liked how Holmes didn’t turn the perp in at the end. Maybe that’s the crux of my affection for the fictional detective: his sense of justice wasn’t absolute, his codes were flexible, and while that flexibility wouldn’t work within police forces in the real world, I tended to agree with Holmes’s moral judgments. He made sense to me, that’s all. Although even I think he took way too many drugs."

I'm happy Isabel and Henry got together but it felt like the tension between them dissipated.

I don't mind the teen-substitute-for-Henry Fred character created. Something needed to balance Rae out. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Izzy is once again on the trail...or rather trails. She has a current client who wants her to investigate his ex-screenwriting partner to see if she is going to shop around and take full credit for the script they wrote. Only thing is even tho his family seems to be paying his rent he can't afford much more than the Garbology Service. And that he needs to be minimal! So she picks up the weekly trashbags when they go out on the curb (that is legal) and delivers them to the client so he can search for evidence. But is he really serious about this?

Then there is her sister, Rae, who is working part-time for her brother David's new girlfriend Maggie, a defense attourney. While filing, Rae reads some of the files and finds one on a guy named Schmidt. Rae feels that Schmidt is truly and innocent man who has been put in jail and convinces Maggie to get his judgement overturned. Being the Spellman Rae is, she won't rest until Schmidt is free. Part of her plan is to get people on board by wearing shirts with "Free Schmidt!" to publicize the cause.

David, her brother, causes concern when he is suddenly absent from his home and job for a number of weeks without explanation. What is it he is hiding? Why?

These are just three of a number of things Izzy has her fingers in. Did I mention the missing door knobs, drawer pulls and light fixtures at the family house? Yup, there is that mystery too. And then there is her love life...

Continuing in the same screwball vein as the previous three books, this one takes you on another crazy ride in the investigative world of Isabel Spellman, P.I. You won't be disappointed, believe me! ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
Love this series!! ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Lutz . . . delivers another engaging blend of wisecracks and crime-solving.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Allison Block

Narrator Izzy's biting wit—mixed with a refreshing dose of humility and sadness—easily carries the story.
added by khuggard | editPublishers Weekly

To all my friends from Desvernine Associates:
Des, Pamela, Pierre, Yvonne, Debra,
and Gretchen. But not Mike.
MORTY: What's new, Izzele? (Prologue)
Why???? we all asked when my father broke the news.

At the ripe old age of thirty-two, former wild child Isabel "Izzy" Spellman has finally agreed to take over the family business. And the transition won't be a smooth one. First among her priorities as head of Spellman Investigations is to dig up some dirt on the competition, slippery ex-cop Rick Harkey--a task she may enjoy a little too much. Next, faced with a baffling missing-persons case at the home of an aging millionaire, Izzy hires an actor friend, Len, to infiltrate the mansion as an undercover butler--a role he may enjoy a little much. Meanwhile, Izzy is being blackmailed by her mother (photographic evidence of Prom Night 1994) to commit to regular blind dates with promising professionals--an arrangement that doesn't thrill Connor, an Irish bartender on the brink of becoming Ex-boyfriend #12.

At Spellman headquarters, it's business as unusual. Doorknobs and light fixtures are disappearing every day, Mom's been spotted crying in the pantry, and a series of increasingly demanding Spellman Rules (Rule #27: No Speaking Today) can't quite hold the family together. Izzy also has to decipher weekly "phone calls from the edge" from her octogenarian lawyer, Morty, as well as Detective Henry Stone's mysterious interest in rekindling their relationsh...well, whatever it was. Just when it looks like things can't go more haywire, little sister Rae's internship researching pro bono legal cases leads the youngest Spellman to launch a grassroots campaign that could spring an innocent man from jail--or land Rae in it. The Spellmans Strike Again is hands down the most hilarious, thrilling, and moving book in this bestselling, award-nominated series. And it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Isabel Spellman, no matter how much she matures, will never be able to follow Rule #1: Act Normal.

Former wild child Izzy Spellman has finally agreed to take over the family business, and the transition won't be a smooth one.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible