Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Children of Dune (1976)

by Frank Herbert

Series: Dune (3), Dune: complete chronology (12)

English (50)  Italian (1)  All languages (51)
This is where I lost interest in the series, though I don't exactly remember why. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 29, 2016 |
Read it decades ago, but didn't care as much for it at that time as I did for the first two. So, in preparation for reading books 4 and 5 of the series, I re-read this one. Man, I forgot a lot in the 30 years or so since I read it. I imagine my memory of not liking it as much as I liked the first two is true, but since I didn't just finish the first two, I'm not really comparing the book to them now.

I'd forgotten how absolutely in-love with these stories I was... I really liked this a lot this time around. Granted there were a few places where it drags, but overall I've got to rate this as one of my favorites, and up the ranking to 5 stars. I'm now looking forward to continuing with the next 2 in the series.

What amazed me in the book was how current the political ramblings were. I guess that stuff never changes, we just change the names of the players... Also interesting were the many similarities between the Fremen religion and Islam, or at least some of the surface similarities and naming conventions that were the same. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
”I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
If you have read at least [b:Dune|234225|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639] you must be familiar with the above “Litany Against Fear”. I don’t know about you but it gets old very fast for me. When it shows up in Children of Dune I read it like “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.” – SHUT UP! Fortunately it only appears once but Mr. Herbert still sneaks in the odd snippet here and there whenever I am feeling too complacent.

To my mind the Dune series really finishes with this third volume. It ties up all the loose ends nicely and ends on an optimistic and suitably poignant note. Come to think of it the very first Dune novel feels very complete within itself, and you could read it as one of the greatest standalone sci-fi novels of all time (or one of the most overrated if it doesn’t do it for you).

So the Atreides are at it again with their mystical shenanigan. These Atreides are so damn verbose 24/7, I swear none of them is capable of speaking like a normal person. I can not imagine how they say “pass the salt” at dinner without mentioning the cosmic ramifications should the salt passing project not be successfully concluded. That said Children of Dune is actually quite an entertaining read, much more so than [b:Dune Messiah|106|Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347771287s/106.jpg|3634570] which often had a soporific effect on me when I was reading it. Children of Dune focuses on the two Atreides kids, Leto and Ghanima (or non-kids because their heads are stuffed full of their ancestors’ memories and it makes them super weird). Their father, the legendary Paul Atreides A.K.A. Muad’Dib walked off into the sunset of the Arrakis desert nine years ago, very pissed off about what the world has come to thanks to his leadership. He is now presumed dead as the Dune desert is deadly and not conducive to a pleasant stroll after dinner.

The planet Arrakis has come a long way since we first encountered it in [b:Dune|234225|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639] the terraforming project is going well and water is more abundant with plants appearing in some areas, other areas of the global desert is becoming moist. Rains and clouds are often seen and early in the novel eight Fremen drown in a flashflood. When you have a culture based on the scarcity of water this development really turns the world upside down. The cultural and social ramifications of Arrakis becoming more watery are the most fascinating aspect of the book for me.

The book starts off slowly (as most books do) with the introduction of the Atreides twins and ambles along pleasantly enough. At almost exactly the half way point Mr. Herbert suddenly shifts gears and the novel becomes much more plot intensive and relatively fast paced. Exciting things are certainly afoot in the second half the the novel; featuring a murder plot involving tigers, a possession that makes you fat, the birth of a sort of Duneman superhero and many spoilerish things that I won’t mention (probably said too much already – sorry!).

All in all a fun read, there is plenty of subtexts and philosophy to think about if you want to (I had my brain switched off, it’s my standard mode). The theme of religion and fanaticism is ever present. I don’t know if I will go on to read [b:God Emperor of Dune|42432|God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327131560s/42432.jpg|3634588] and the subsequent volumes. I am afraid of coming across the Litany Against Fear again. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
After the Abomination that was Dune Messiah, Herbert manages to get himself back on track here. The novel's main fault is that the plot depends on facts that do not accord with those established in Dune itself. While it would have been nice for the series to remain true to it's own inner laws it has to be said that Herbert tells a cracking story and tells it much more in the style of and with the same approach as Dune than Messiah had.

Love Leto's solution. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 1, 2015 |
The least sexist of the three books; but so much pontificating. The weirdest part is that sometimes the characters briefly emerge as actual characters and one feels a bit for them. The sense that Herbert is just making it up as he goes along, introducing inconsistencies as conveniences, is very strong. Leto performs feats of strength which would also have to be feats of density. Or possibly he has very sticky feet. ( )
  themulhern | Jun 20, 2015 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, Brucesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.
AR 6.2, 24 Pts
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path
(amweb)

On the planet of Aurakis, men, nature, and time attend the messianic and evolutionary growth of Leto and his twin sister Ghanima, children and successors of the mighty Muad'Dib.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,124,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible