Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Children of Dune (original 1976; edition 1991)

by Frank Herbert

Title:Children of Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Books (1991), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, SciFi Fantasy

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert (1976)

Recently added byPPop, INorris, Lukerik, divinopenombra, private library, Vikinglitespear, CMucciarone, Michael.Heron
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (47)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
After the Abomination that was Dune Messiah, Herbert manages to get himself back on track here. The novel's main fault is that the plot depends on facts that do not accord with those established in Dune itself. While it would have been nice for the series to remain true to it's own inner laws it has to be said that Herbert tells a cracking story and tells it much more in the style of and with the same approach as Dune than Messiah had.

Love Leto's solution. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 1, 2015 |
The least sexist of the three books; but so much pontificating. The weirdest part is that sometimes the characters briefly emerge as actual characters and one feels a bit for them. The sense that Herbert is just making it up as he goes along, introducing inconsistencies as conveniences, is very strong. Leto performs feats of strength which would also have to be feats of density. Or possibly he has very sticky feet. ( )
  themulhern | Jun 20, 2015 |
These novels are so ridiculous with their Year 21000 A.D. sword fights, feudal systems, Abrahamic religion, never-ending betrayals, and attempts to create mind-blowing philosophy at every turn. What is Dune? Dune is basically a space soap opera. No one can be trusted. Every move is an expertly crafted grasp at power. And it goes on and on. Every revolution lasts only a decade and then there is a new overlord who brings their own revolution that looks like the last and still doesn't move these 220th Century people, who have journeyed through the universe, past misogynist lords and power by might. Stupid.

Yet, I'm still reading them. Something keeps pulling me in. Despite the logical side of my brain screaming at me that this is the most backward series I've ever read, I keep moving forward. In fact, some voice in my head is whispering “give it four stars.” What the? I don't even like these dumb novels. Maybe Herbert was actually a master of the Bene Gesserit Voice. Maybe one of my ancestors was a fan and is manipulating me. Four stars? These novels aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Children of Dune had potential. In fact, the first hundred or so pages of this one were the best I've read from the Dune universe. But it lost its steam and dissolved into another philosophical “feint within a feint within a feint within a feint” (an actual Children of Dune phrase).

Ludicrous. Will I read another? Yes. Will I give Children of Dune four stars? Not even the Voice could work on me. ( )
1 vote chrisblocker | Jun 12, 2015 |
  Carl.S | Apr 4, 2015 |
It took me a bit longer to get into this book than the two previous. Once I got to know the twins better however, I quickly found myself completely engrosed once more.

The original Dune is of course a really tough book to match. And while I'm not sure this story does hold up to the original, that is not to say this book is not good. It does feel a bit more pretentious though and some of the "smartness" of the series is getting old. The end really made it for me though, so four stars. I'm already looking forward to reading it again! ( )
  swampygirl | Feb 27, 2015 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, Brucesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.
AR 6.2, 24 Pts
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path

On the planet of Aurakis, men, nature, and time attend the messianic and evolutionary growth of Leto and his twin sister Ghanima, children and successors of the mighty Muad'Dib.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,725,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible