Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Children of Dune (original 1976; edition 1991)

by Frank Herbert

Member:fuzzi
Title:Children of Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Books (1991), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, SciFi Fantasy
Rating:**1/2

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert (1976)

Recently added byBob_dylan140, brbadore, private library, paule.horsman, slaven41, macdherbe, jG-2323, SalarShushan

English (40)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
Quotable quotes:
- "It is said the only fear we cannot correct is the fear of our own mistakes."
- "Failure to make a decision was in itself a decision -- he knew this."
- "Mock you? By my name, Stilgar, never would I mock you. I have given you a gift without price. I command you to carry it always next to your heart as a reminder that all humans are prone to error and all leaders are human."

3 books into this series, and I feel like I am finally getting used to the whole sci-fi book reading thing. The book took the typical Dune story arc for me in which it started kind of slow, kept getting slower, picked up around page 100, started ramping up hard around for about 200 pages, and then I couldn't put it down toward the end. As usual, I feel compelled to get the next one because the ending I just soaked up. I keep telling myself that I likely won't finish this series, but near the end of each book, I always seem to pick up more motivation to read the rest.

Since I seemingly can't formulate a quality review of this in my mind, I'll keep it short; it was a good book altogether that felt decidedly darker than the last two novels. As I've read in other reviews, the second book was very much so just set up for this novel, which could have been the end of the series, or the beginning of a whole new chapter in the Dune 'saga.' The only thing I would say that this book needs to improve itself though, would be for it to trim down some of the proverbial fat. It's very good, but at times [a:Frank Herbert|58|Frank Herbert|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1168661521p2/58.jpg] tends to get a bit verbose with all of the Maud'Dib-centric existentialism.

Short, concise review: It was a good read; a bit wordy, but a good read. ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |
It's the children who are the backbone of Herbert's Dune stories. The children who are born knowing things they shouldn't and who become wizened beyond their chronological years. Frankly, it creeps me out a little.

In Dune, it was Paul Atreides' sister Alia who took center stage as religious head of the Empire. In Dune Messiah, Alia takes control of both government and religion. And, in Children of Dune, it is the twin children of Paul with his consort, Chani, who take center stage.

As always, there's political infighting between multiple factions. Each leader pulling a string or being pulled by Bene Gesserit plotting. Alia has grown in power, more dictatorial, and eventually succumbs to the presence of the evil Baron Harkonnen who lives on in her as one of the multitudes of personalities absorbed during an esoteric Fremen ritual while her mother, the Lady Jessica, is pregnant with her. It is Alia's inability to manage the personalities and her own grab for power which leads to her ultimate downfall.

Meanwhile, Leto II and Ghanima, plot their aunt's downfall as well as plans for the undoing of Alia's and Arrakis' obsessive ritualizing of Paul/Muad'dib's religion. A religion which has become rigid, and takes a blind man known as The Preacher to point out the many ways it is not what Muad'dib taught.

There's so much plotting and planning and carrying on, it's difficult to keep up with whom is doing what, or might be thinking about doing, to whom. And Herbert's obsession with creating Dune's religious structure with ancient Buddhist, Muslim and Egyptian religious thought is getting tedious. It's meant to be deep, but it isn't.

In the end, people are assassinated, mysterious identities are revealed, there's a power upheaval which results in a 9-year-old boy who is not a boy, nor human at this point in control of the Empire, assisted by his twin sister who is still human, but definitely no longer a child.

Children of Dune was better than Dune Messiah, but neither have lived up to the promise of the original Dune. That's pretty frustrating. ( )
  AuntieClio | Apr 1, 2014 |
We move to the second generation of the royal family of Dune, and I'm a little tired of the universe set up by Mr. Herbert. The Earlier books had much stronger characterisation, and the social system, a take-off on the system used by the Ottoman Empire on Earth, was interesting to explore. Unfortunately the ruts are now showing. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 10, 2014 |
I wonder whether the uprooted generations now arising in the United States will ever be able to see Leto and Ghanima as other than neurologically diseased. I wonder whether anyone younger than my generation will remember what it is actually like to have a plethora of ancestors in mind - none actively trying to take over one's brain, none complete with all memories - but to have a string of family stories that shape one's identity.

In other news, this book was also FRAUGHT WITH FRAUGHTNESS until finally, around page 300, it sprouted a plot. Okay, maybe people like pure character pieces. In which case, the book would have benefited strongly from some hint near the beginning that Jessica wasn't being just a jealous, ageing beauty, that Alia wasn't just an overstressed administrator, that Duncan had feelings, that Stilgar's murderous thoughts were only part of his essential conservatism and not a total character makeover like all of the characters seemed to be getting for the first 100 pages, and/or that Farad'n could and would grow up to be Preacher to Leto's Emperor, striking a necessary balance that Paul only realized he needed after he stopped being the latter and became the former. Also, Leto at the end of the book is far too low on the Arthur C. Clarke Scale of Alienness; he needed to be _way_ weirder than just an aphorism-spouting single-leap-building-bounder. ( )
  Nialle | Jun 19, 2013 |
One thing is for sure - as Dune saga progresses you get less and less actual action and more philosophical discussions.

This book follows the journey of Paul Atreid's son Leto. He has to decide whether to take drastic action his father feared so much and bring enlightenment to the humanity or falter and let entire human civilization crumble.

As always there are some interesting points on religion, state, inner fatalism of every individual, way masses think and act, civilization and how to steer people to the greater good for all.

I find it funny that author cannot make up his mind when it comes to religion - he mixes a lot of philosophies and is rather preachy when it comes to that, but is very specific when he talks about bad sides of religion - I can only guess who he took to portray the baddies (taking into account organizational structure he portrays). I guess it is popular approach to that subject. Maybe it would be better if he didn't make any relations to the existing religions at all and truly created something of its own.

Otherwise interesting and highly recommended book but be wary - although there is action in here and plots and sub-plots, great deal of book is dedicated to philosophical discussion (less than in sequels to this book but nevertheless) so make sure you are in a mood for a rather long read. ( )
  Zare | Dec 4, 2012 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, Brucesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.
AR 6.2, 24 Pts
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path
(amweb)

On the planet of Aurakis, men, nature, and time attend the messianic and evolutionary growth of Leto and his twin sister Ghanima, children and successors of the mighty Muad'Dib.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible