Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Children of Dune (original 1976; edition 1991)

by Frank Herbert

Member:fuzzi
Title:Children of Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Books (1991), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, SciFi Fantasy
Rating:**1/2

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert (1976)

Recently added byevilmoose, humamix, m0nhawk, momnrod, Vladimir_Petrov, Carl.S, private library, dschnell, nielsnej, dyfdd1

English (44)  Italian (1)  All languages (45)
It took me a bit longer to get into this book than the two previous. Once I got to know the twins better however, I quickly found myself completely engrosed once more.

The original Dune is of course a really tough book to match. And while I'm not sure this story does hold up to the original, that is not to say this book is not good. It does feel a bit more pretentious though and some of the "smartness" of the series is getting old. The end really made it for me though, so four stars. I'm already looking forward to reading it again! ( )
  swampygirl | Feb 27, 2015 |
Much better than the preceding and following books in the series. Almost as good as Dune itself. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
I'm still amazed that it took me this long to read this book (series).
I still feel that this book has a lot of what I fell for when I first read Dune...it's got that mysticism mixed with sci-fi mixed with human nature that I can not stop reading! The turns that this book took I can not say were completely unexpected but there were a few that I either did not understand at first or were just outside my scope. ( )
  gopfolk | Dec 1, 2014 |
They get better with each book. ( )
  Melissaberry | Sep 5, 2014 |
Quotable quotes:
- "It is said the only fear we cannot correct is the fear of our own mistakes."
- "Failure to make a decision was in itself a decision -- he knew this."
- "Mock you? By my name, Stilgar, never would I mock you. I have given you a gift without price. I command you to carry it always next to your heart as a reminder that all humans are prone to error and all leaders are human."

3 books into this series, and I feel like I am finally getting used to the whole sci-fi book reading thing. The book took the typical Dune story arc for me in which it started kind of slow, kept getting slower, picked up around page 100, started ramping up hard around for about 200 pages, and then I couldn't put it down toward the end. As usual, I feel compelled to get the next one because the ending I just soaked up. I keep telling myself that I likely won't finish this series, but near the end of each book, I always seem to pick up more motivation to read the rest.

Since I seemingly can't formulate a quality review of this in my mind, I'll keep it short; it was a good book altogether that felt decidedly darker than the last two novels. As I've read in other reviews, the second book was very much so just set up for this novel, which could have been the end of the series, or the beginning of a whole new chapter in the Dune 'saga.' The only thing I would say that this book needs to improve itself though, would be for it to trim down some of the proverbial fat. It's very good, but at times [a:Frank Herbert|58|Frank Herbert|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1168661521p2/58.jpg] tends to get a bit verbose with all of the Maud'Dib-centric existentialism.

Short, concise review: It was a good read; a bit wordy, but a good read. ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, Brucesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.
AR 6.2, 24 Pts
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path
(amweb)

On the planet of Aurakis, men, nature, and time attend the messianic and evolutionary growth of Leto and his twin sister Ghanima, children and successors of the mighty Muad'Dib.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,254,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible