Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

Children of Dune (original 1976; edition 1991)

by Frank Herbert

Member:fuzzi
Title:Children of Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace Books (1991), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned, SciFi Fantasy
Rating:**1/2

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert (1976)

Recently added byKCV, genolgra, MommaTracey, private library, MichelleRabbit, ac87, Roman666
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (52)  Italian (1)  All (53)

Title: Children of Dune
Series: Dune Chronicles #3
Author: Frank Herbert
Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 420
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Paul is dead, Alia is ruling as regent and conspirators to topple the Atreides Empire are crawling out of the woodwork.

Paul's children, Leto and Ghanima, are 10 years old and must begin to take on the trappings of power. They must also avoid the path of Abomination that has overtaken Alia [she's given in to the inner voices and allowed one of them to take control at times] while fulfilling the vision that Leto has of the human race. A vision that apparently Paul saw and couldn't bring himself to commit to.

So all the children have to do is: survive their aunt who wants them dead, survive their grandmother who wants them as pawns for the Bene Gesserit, survive a rogue group of Fremen who want all Atreides dead, survive the other Houses who want to ascend to Imperial status and finally, survive the lives inside of them who want to take over.

Easy-peasy.

My Thoughts:

Overall, my thoughts haven't really changed from my '12 read. There were places that still bored me to tears. I suspect some of that is because the underpinnings of Dune have an islamic cast to them and so I couldn't follow all the half-sentence, unfinished, thoughts.

This time around I realized that Leto had seen the Golden Path before he was dosed with spice, so what he was seeing was not a prescient view of the future. So how did he see it? He makes a point of calling it a vision instead of prescience, but where did it come from? Paul's “visions” were him looking into the future when he was high on spice. Leto couldn't take the chance of taking spice because the inner lives would overwhelm him during that time. The only thing I can think of is that he was able to see everything his father saw because of his preborn condition.

The other thing I noticed was that most of Herbert's speculation about viewing the future and such were all predicated on there NOT being an Omniscient Being. Which is interesting because the Dune mythos is built on the whole idea of prophecy and gods, albeit humanity ascendant. Prophecy, or visions of the future, are something that come from God. He is an omniscient, omnipresent Being and hence is not bound by time or space. Herbert's idea of The Future was where humanity was not constrained by ANY force, within or without. He was writing about humanity without a guiding hand. Which is the antithesis of what I believe as a Christian. And yet the questions he asks are just as intriguing and eye opening as any I could think to ask. And THAT is why I like the Dune Chronicles so much. The questions about humanity.

Completely satisfied about this re-read. While I had re-read it back in '12, I hadn't read it before then since at least '99. This is one series I am very glad to own in hardcover as well as in digital form for my Oasis.

★★★★ ½ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Jul 3, 2017 |
Muad’Dib has become an old man damaged by forced overdoses of spice essence and dependent on an assistant; he is rousing the populace against the priestly apparatus and its ruler — his sister Alia, who has since lost the battle with the memory personalities she contains, and is possessed by the persona of her grandfather and Atreides enemy, Baron Harkonnen.

Despite numerous enemies, Muad'Dib's children Leto and Ghanima survive concerted attempts to eliminate them. Leto undertakes a transformation by allowing sandtrout to bond to the surface of his body, making him immensely strong and fast and beginning his transformation into a human-sandworm hybrid. The subsequent deaths of Paul and Alia lead to the virtually immortal Leto grasping control of the Known Universe.

Over and over, Herbert shows how his characters' triumphs contain the seeds of their own destruction, and how their personalities and ideals keep them on the track of destruction, even if prescient vision proves to them how they are doomed. Frank Herbert said later in life that he conceived all three of the first Dune books as a single story from the start, and that he simply produced that one complete tale in three separate volumes.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
This is where I lost interest in the series, though I don't exactly remember why. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Jan 29, 2016 |
Read it decades ago, but didn't care as much for it at that time as I did for the first two. So, in preparation for reading books 4 and 5 of the series, I re-read this one. Man, I forgot a lot in the 30 years or so since I read it. I imagine my memory of not liking it as much as I liked the first two is true, but since I didn't just finish the first two, I'm not really comparing the book to them now.

I'd forgotten how absolutely in-love with these stories I was... I really liked this a lot this time around. Granted there were a few places where it drags, but overall I've got to rate this as one of my favorites, and up the ranking to 5 stars. I'm now looking forward to continuing with the next 2 in the series.

What amazed me in the book was how current the political ramblings were. I guess that stuff never changes, we just change the names of the players... Also interesting were the many similarities between the Fremen religion and Islam, or at least some of the surface similarities and naming conventions that were the same. ( )
  bicyclewriter | Jan 8, 2016 |
”I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
If you have read at least [b:Dune|234225|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639] you must be familiar with the above “Litany Against Fear”. I don’t know about you but it gets old very fast for me. When it shows up in Children of Dune I read it like “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.” – SHUT UP! Fortunately it only appears once but Mr. Herbert still sneaks in the odd snippet here and there whenever I am feeling too complacent.

To my mind the Dune series really finishes with this third volume. It ties up all the loose ends nicely and ends on an optimistic and suitably poignant note. Come to think of it the very first Dune novel feels very complete within itself, and you could read it as one of the greatest standalone sci-fi novels of all time (or one of the most overrated if it doesn’t do it for you).

So the Atreides are at it again with their mystical shenanigan. These Atreides are so damn verbose 24/7, I swear none of them is capable of speaking like a normal person. I can not imagine how they say “pass the salt” at dinner without mentioning the cosmic ramifications should the salt passing project not be successfully concluded. That said Children of Dune is actually quite an entertaining read, much more so than [b:Dune Messiah|106|Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347771287s/106.jpg|3634570] which often had a soporific effect on me when I was reading it. Children of Dune focuses on the two Atreides kids, Leto and Ghanima (or non-kids because their heads are stuffed full of their ancestors’ memories and it makes them super weird). Their father, the legendary Paul Atreides A.K.A. Muad’Dib walked off into the sunset of the Arrakis desert nine years ago, very pissed off about what the world has come to thanks to his leadership. He is now presumed dead as the Dune desert is deadly and not conducive to a pleasant stroll after dinner.

The planet Arrakis has come a long way since we first encountered it in [b:Dune|234225|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639] the terraforming project is going well and water is more abundant with plants appearing in some areas, other areas of the global desert is becoming moist. Rains and clouds are often seen and early in the novel eight Fremen drown in a flashflood. When you have a culture based on the scarcity of water this development really turns the world upside down. The cultural and social ramifications of Arrakis becoming more watery are the most fascinating aspect of the book for me.

The book starts off slowly (as most books do) with the introduction of the Atreides twins and ambles along pleasantly enough. At almost exactly the half way point Mr. Herbert suddenly shifts gears and the novel becomes much more plot intensive and relatively fast paced. Exciting things are certainly afoot in the second half the the novel; featuring a murder plot involving tigers, a possession that makes you fat, the birth of a sort of Duneman superhero and many spoilerish things that I won’t mention (probably said too much already – sorry!).

All in all a fun read, there is plenty of subtexts and philosophy to think about if you want to (I had my brain switched off, it’s my standard mode). The theme of religion and fanaticism is ever present. I don’t know if I will go on to read [b:God Emperor of Dune|42432|God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)|Frank Herbert|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327131560s/42432.jpg|3634588] and the subsequent volumes. I am afraid of coming across the Litany Against Fear again. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.
AR 6.2, 24 Pts
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path
(amweb)

On the planet of Aurakis, men, nature, and time attend the messianic and evolutionary growth of Leto and his twin sister Ghanima, children and successors of the mighty Muad'Dib.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,095,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible