Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Title:Liar
Authors:Justine Larbalestier
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, For Connections/Recommendations
Tags:YA, New York City, family secrets, running, mystery, murder, race, compulsive lying, unreliable narrator, relationships

Liar by Justine Larbalestier

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable narrators
    Bringing up the Bones by Lara M. Zeises (meggyweg)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both of these stories are about teens with a supernatural power/curse that is passed on in their family, that changes their lives irrevocably.

English (96)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
I'm not sure I liked the ambiguity of the ending. I guess I'd hoped for a tie-up at the end to confirm or deny my own theories. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
**SPOILER** Micah admits to being a liar but promises in this book to tell the truth. And maybe she has...or maybe not. She tells her story of being born a werewolf through lies of omission, lies of convenience, and then clarifying those lies by stating what really happened...but then turning her statements back on their heads. It makes for an interesting unspooling of a fantasy/mystery but I expected an ending to mess with my head, which it didn't really. This is the book that had the furor over the original cover art, which was a picture of a white girl, although in the story Micah clearly describes her father as black. My only issue with the current cover is that the model looks feminine, not boyish. (Micah describes passing as a boy for several days when she starts high school.) ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Micah is a pathological liar - this is the only reliable aspect about the book. She is such an unreliable narrator, that I was uncomfortable all the way through wondering if she was telling me the truth or not. Even now, although I've finished the book, I'm still not sure what the exact truth is. An interesting psychological thriller. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
The chilling story that she spins will have readers' hearts racing as in three sections she goes from "Telling the Truth," to "Telling the True Truth," to "Telling the Actual Real Truth," uncovering previous lies and revealing bizarre occurrences in the process. Micah's narrative is convincing, and in the end readers will delve into the psyche of a troubled teen and decide for themselves the truths and lies. This one is sure to generate discussion.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Patricia N. McClune

For my father, John Bern
I was born with a light covering of fur.

Compulsive liar Micah promises to tell the truth after revealing that her boyfriend has been murdered.

126 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,179,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible