Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Title:Liar
Authors:Justine Larbalestier
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, For Connections/Recommendations
Tags:YA, New York City, family secrets, running, mystery, murder, race, compulsive lying, unreliable narrator, relationships

Liar by Justine Larbalestier

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (legxleg)
    legxleg: Both have unreliable narrators
    Bringing up the Bones by Lara M. Zeises (meggyweg)
    Fade by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both of these stories are about teens with a supernatural power/curse that is passed on in their family, that changes their lives irrevocably.

English (96)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (98)
What. The. Heckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I can't review this book; I feel too strongly about it.

I want to believe Micah's final version of events. I really do. I almost can.
The only thing that keeps me from doing so is the "inconstant heart" references. She references this twice, but never explains it in the end.

I was really loving this book until about the last third..that's when it just got insanely eye-popping and frustrating. I loved trying to figure out the lies and the truth, but after a while it just makes your head hurt. I'm giving it three stars because there was a lot of squickiness and a lot of "Wtf" elements but on the other hand I really LOVED this book.
AHHHH you'll just have to go read it. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
What. The. Heckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I can't review this book; I feel too strongly about it.

I want to believe Micah's final version of events. I really do. I almost can.

AHHHH you'll just have to go read it. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I'm not sure I liked the ambiguity of the ending. I guess I'd hoped for a tie-up at the end to confirm or deny my own theories. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
The chilling story that she spins will have readers' hearts racing as in three sections she goes from "Telling the Truth," to "Telling the True Truth," to "Telling the Actual Real Truth," uncovering previous lies and revealing bizarre occurrences in the process. Micah's narrative is convincing, and in the end readers will delve into the psyche of a troubled teen and decide for themselves the truths and lies. This one is sure to generate discussion.
added by khuggard | editSchool Library Journal, Patricia N. McClune

For my father, John Bern
I was born with a light covering of fur.

Compulsive liar Micah promises to tell the truth after revealing that her boyfriend has been murdered.

126 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,264,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible