Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Dune Messiah (original 1969; edition 1987)

by Frank Herbert

Member:LesliePoston
Title:Dune Messiah
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace (1987), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

English (92)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (94)
I ought, perhaps, to have read this in English, as my spouse agreed that the translation left ambiguities in places that may have disrupted both my flow and enjoyment of the book. I found the premise a bit hard to swallow, and disliked the implications. Overall, not a comfortable read. I got the impression that the author really wanted to be a political commentator.
ShiraDestinie
Today's 'normal' date is: Tues, November 25, 2014
Today's U.N. Date is: Saturday, November 25, 12014 H.E. (Holocene/Human Era) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
I've avoided the sequels to Dune before this because I was afraid something would go wrong. And, to an extent, something did. Dune Messiah lacks a lot of the action that helped move the original along, its replaced by a lot of philosophying and talk talk talk talk talk. The chapter headings also felt off, as if Herbert didn't have the confidence to do with them what he did for Dune, revealing matters of plot and putting the events of the book within the context of a stable future looking back at it.

But removing that layer might have been Herbert's intention. Paul's prescient visions cannot see the workings of other oracles so he cannot get to the root of a great plot against him, the proliferation of Dune tarot decks further muddy his path forward. He sees an undesirable end, but he can't be sure that that end isn't as inevitable as the jihad carried out across the galaxy in his name that has claimed millions and millions of lives. Paul is the God-Emperor but he is powerless to stop it or prevent harm to his family without fear of causing even greater harm. However, for all the blather and frustrated scheme-tracings of the characters, the book does pick up eventually and many characters accomplish a great deal. Irulan did not stand out as I'd hoped, but Alia is built up well enough that you come to care about her destiny as much as Paul's.

What happens here does seem so inevitable, but we're assured that it was victory. I'm not so sure, but I'm confident enough to keep going with these. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
The second installment of Dune is heavy on mock philosophy (or perhaps real one, what do I know), prophetic visions and religious imagery, but light on everything else.

At the center of it lies a plot to overthrow Emperor Paul Atreides' government, stop his jihad and undermine the religious idolatry of the emperor's and his sister's persona. The attempt brings about some unlikely alliances, but can it succeed against the immense power of the imperial apparatus and the Emperor's prescient vision. Can Paul protect his family and maintain his throne?

Political conspiracies are usually potent stuff for a good thriller at the least and this one has its moments as well, but at the end of the day it gets lost in its own philosophical ramblings and is not in the same league as the first book of Dune. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
A fantastic classic. While it may not be as good as the first book in the trilogy, it is still an essential scifi book to read and very well done. If the first book is one of the top scifi books of all time, this one is very close and a must read for any self-respecting fan. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 11, 2018 |
My third attempt to read this book over the years. Its not a patch on the first book but I'm glad I finished it and can move onto the next. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |

Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webber, Phil H.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969
Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441172695, Mass Market Paperback)

Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a super-being.

"Brilliant...It is all that Dune was, and maybe a little bit more." --Galaxy Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

"Set on the desert planet Arrakis, a world fully as real and as rich as our own, Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a superbeing."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,386,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible