Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Dune Messiah (original 1969; edition 1975)

by Frank Herbert

11,39192338 (3.68)114
Member:GVassmer
Title:Dune Messiah
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Berkley (1975), Paperback

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

Recently added byBrant_Klassen, private library, farrhon, thindor, yaxtor, neosloth, Mildman, Lewstheryn, francrog, Joe_Seph
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (90)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
The second installment of Dune is heavy on mock philosophy (or perhaps real one, what do I know), prophetic visions and religious imagery, but light on everything else.

At the center of it lies a plot to overthrow Emperor Paul Atreides' government, stop his jihad and undermine the religious idolatry of the emperor's and his sister's persona. The attempt brings about some unlikely alliances, but can it succeed against the immense power of the imperial apparatus and the Emperor's prescient vision. Can Paul protect his family and maintain his throne?

Political conspiracies are usually potent stuff for a good thriller at the least and this one has its moments as well, but at the end of the day it gets lost in its own philosophical ramblings and is not in the same league as the first book of Dune. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
A fantastic classic. While it may not be as good as the first book in the trilogy, it is still an essential scifi book to read and very well done. If the first book is one of the top scifi books of all time, this one is very close and a must read for any self-respecting fan. ( )
  Karlstar | Dec 11, 2018 |
My third attempt to read this book over the years. Its not a patch on the first book but I'm glad I finished it and can move onto the next. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
Like many series focused around an epic revolution, the sequel just can't keep up the energy and detail of the first book in the series. And no Lady Jessica! I kept expecting her to show up, but all we get is one long-distance letter... There is some good stuff in here, especially the Duncan Idaho part, but much of it seems underdeveloped and underexplained -- the conspiracy to overthrow Paul, for instance, could have been a lot more grounded, but after the (pretty cool) introduction to the group, it all splits into not nearly as interesting individual enemies. I'm happy to keep making this journey, but I hope things regain some of the excitement of the first volume. ( )
  kristykay22 | Oct 10, 2018 |
**Dune Messiah** was very much not my kind of book, and for different reasons than I disliked **Dune**. While my criticism regarding Good vs Evil characters from the first volume isn't relevant to the second one, *Frank Herbert*'s narration style of showing the thoughts of just about everybody felt like a giant "tell, don't show". I felt like the story just crawled along. Everything was overthought and overexplained, none of the characters were likeable in any way, and very little actually happened. I felt that the large time gap ("I don't want to be the messiah and cause a jihad" - 12 years later, guess what) took also part in my disbelief at the fact that there was nothing an emperor could do to at least mitigate the issues he suffered from. Ehh, I probably won't go on with the series. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |

Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webber, Phil H.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969
Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441172695, Mass Market Paperback)

Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a super-being.

"Brilliant...It is all that Dune was, and maybe a little bit more." --Galaxy Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

"Set on the desert planet Arrakis, a world fully as real and as rich as our own, Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a superbeing."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible