dismiss

Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, Book 2) by…

Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, Book 2) (original 1969; edition 1994)

by Frank Herbert

The sisterhood of the Bene Gesserit plots to seize control of the galaxy-wide empire of their supernatural leader, while on Arrakis, the Maud'dib, the heir to an unimaginable power, confronts new challenges.
Member:Yfandes
Title:Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, Book 2)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:ACE Charter (1994), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

Recently added byprivate library, paawcik, aron124, NinjaMuse, uss.scissorfish, ObsidianBlue, kombuchahucha, drewbelf
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (104)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (106)
I can honestly say that this will be the last book I read in the Dune series. I have been warned after the next one it just gets even more convoluted. That's a shame. I really loved the story-telling in the first book, but this one made barely any sense and there was very little dialogue. You just keep reading what someone was thinking, what they were doing, and the machinations at the court. I started to skim towards the end. The last couple of pages were the most exciting in the whole tale.

Dune Messiah takes place 12 years after the last book. We have Paul Atreides as the new Emperor, married to Princess Irulan. Paul and Irulan are married in name only though. He is still with Chani, and though they have been together this whole time, she has not gotten pregnant. The Bene Gesserit, Spacing Guild, and Tleilaxu decide to put pressure on Irulan to help them with dethroning Paul since she still desires to have a child with him.

Honestly you would think that the above would make the book more interesting, it does not. It doesn't help that due to Paul and his ability to know all things/sense all things he already knows there is a conspiracy against him and he even knows what Irulan has been up to. So it's just people wandering around trying to make chess moves against each other while holding up a sign saying "I am so going to get you this round."

The characters were very flat in this one. Alia is Paul's right hand or something. I don't even know. We focus on her and her emotions a lot in this book and I was not a fan. We hear about Jessica a lot, but she's not heard from at all. Paul claims to love Chani, but it felt very flat to me. We also have a ghola of Duncan Idaho. I still don't get why he accepted it since you know, trap and all, but just go with it.

The writing was not that great and the flow was awful. Everything felt like it was taking a thousand years. The setting of Dune didn't seem as awe-inspiring as it did in the first book. I really felt like I needed a chart to understand how everyone was connected/not connected to each other. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
A really fine follow-up to [b:Dune|39776179|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1523123959s/39776179.jpg|3634639]; the only trouble is, there aren't nearly enough pages for all the plot herein. ( )
  drewbelf | Jun 28, 2020 |
Serinin 2. kitabı da bitti.İlk kitap gibi mükemmel olmasa da yine de güzeldi.Kitapta sevmediğim 2 şey var birincisi Gurney Halleck'in kitapta yer almaması ikincisi ise kitabın çok kısa olması.3. kitap yeterince uzunmuş bir de Gurney olursa tadından yenmez artık. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
Didn't love it. ( )
  GoofyOcean110 | May 15, 2020 |
(...)

I’ll try to keep this text under 5000 words, so that’ll be all for the introduction. In what follows, I first compare Dune Messiah to its big brother: why exactly is it a lesser book? That part is the proper review, so to say.

Afterwards, I’ll zoom in on a few things for those interested in a deeper analysis. I’ll first write about Nietzsche’s eternal recurrence, and how that ties into Paul being a tragic hero. I’ll finish with a discussion on determinism & free will in Dune Messiah – even though I’m starting to feel I’m beating a dead horse on this blog, especially after my massive post on the same subject and Lord of the Rings. The last two parts will be heavy with quotes.

(...)

Full analysis on Weighing A Pig ( )
  bormgans | Apr 10, 2020 |

Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webber, Phil H.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969

Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,649,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible