Dyynin Messias by Frank Herbert

Dyynin Messias (original 1969; edition 1987)

by Frank Herbert, Hilkka Pekkanen (Translator)

9,430None308 (3.67)89
Member:MaseS
Title:Dyynin Messias
Authors:Frank Herbert
Other authors:Hilkka Pekkanen (Translator)
Info:Porvoo ; Helsinki ; Juva : 1987.
Tags:kaunokirjallisuus, tieteiskirjallisuus, avaruus, avaruusmatkat, perheet, suvut, planeetat, profetiat, taistelut, sodat, hiekkamadot, petos, pako, kohtalot

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

(24) 20th century (36) American (39) classic (41) desert (40) Dune (649) ebook (29) ecology (31) epic (39) fantasy (156) fiction (779) Frank Herbert (64) Herbert (48) literature (27) novel (115) own (41) owned (26) paperback (67) politics (46) read (163) religion (73) science fiction (2,232) series (129) sf (258) sff (107) space (25) space opera (73) spice (29) to-read (34) unread (68)

English (68)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (70)
Not nearly as action packed as Dune, Dune Messiah is filled with political intrigue as a plot to assassinate Paul-Muad'dib, who is now Emperor, unfurls.

Herbert asked his readerss to suspend belief and accept his particular brand of religious mumbo-jumbo as reason enough for the failed assassination attempt, the "oracular" vision of Paul after he loses his physical eyes in a bombing, the turning of a clone into a "flesh and blood" Duncan Idaho, and the death of both Paul's concubine, Chani, while giving birth to twins. In addition, we are also expected to buy into the sudden loss of "oracular" vision which leaves Paul truly blind and wandering the desert, as the book ends.

I didn't love this book, but I didn't quite hate it. Being invested in some of the characters, and wanting to read what happened next, made the plot easier to swallow. How far it moves the story forward remains to be seen in book three, Children of Dune. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 24, 2014 |
We get to watch the creation of the Sandworm religion in this volume two of a long series. The characters retain their interest, and the social system is explored more fully, leading me to identify it with the one used by the Ottoman Empire on Earth. probably re-readable. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 10, 2014 |
The only thing that kept this from being 5 stars for me, was Herbert's tendency to drift into areas of philosophy, leaving the advancement of the story behind altogether. For pages nothing would be happening, save for ramblings of religion and government. While these thoughts were interesting, I found myself skimming these sections in later parts of the book so I could get back to the actual action of the story, which was worth wading through endless exposition. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Fascinating book. The whole concept is quite fun but I'm seeing that some of Star Wars came from these pages. ( )
  gopfolk | Nov 8, 2013 |
I don't have the best track record with this Dune universe, but I keep pressing on. Prior to this novel, my average rating for the series has been 2.75. (Granted this includes the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson Prelude to Dune which greatly drags this rating down.) Nevertheless, I'm not overly impressed with Dune, yet I keep going. My goal when I started was to make it to the fourth book of the original series, God Emperor of Dune. Why? For starters, four books should give me an adequate overview of the series. Primarily, I was told God Emperor... was likely to be my favorite. We'll see...

Dune reminds me a little too much of Star Wars. And get this, I hate Star Wars. Good versus evil in space, sword fights, patriarchal societies, blah blah blah—it's Dune, no it's Star Wars. I can't help but wonder if time is cyclical, if the future is Dune, the past is Star Wars and the two meet, making a never-ending loop. But Dune is better, right? I mean, for starters, Dune came first. In fact, George Lucas must've greatly borrowed from Dune, right? Secondly, Dune spends more time philosophizing and less time fighting. And third, sand worms! Jabba the Hut would be an appetizer for the sandworms of Dune.

But in this book there are no sandworms. Sorry to disappoint you, but Dune Messiah is disappointing. It reads more like an epilogue or supplement to the first novel. Not much happens until the end and even that didn't impress me. And did I mention there were no sandworms? What's the point?

I'm not sure when I'll get around to Children of Dune, but I do still intend to read it. You have two books with which to impress me, Mr. Herbert; at that point, if I'm still not impressed, I'm moving on. Now, show me what you've got. ( )
  chrisblocker | Oct 20, 2013 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brumm, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grace, GerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969
AR 5.7, 11 Pts
---------------------------

Arrakis, the desert planet called Dune, has been the site of a terrible war and the source of a merciless holy crusade that swept the Galaxy. All this has been the result of the ascension to absolute power of the man known as Muad'dib.
The unforgettable human drama at the center of the vast natural and political forces coming to bear on this vast natural and political forces coming to bear on this vast natural and political forces coming to bear on this unique planet is among the most moving in all of the literature of imagination..

Dune Messiah is the story of a man of overawing wisdom who finds himself subject to human - and more than human - frailties. It is a novel of high adventure and of philosophical and emotional depth.
Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441172695, Mass Market Paperback)

Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a super-being.

"Brilliant...It is all that Dune was, and maybe a little bit more." --Galaxy Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:56 -0400)

"Set on the desert planet Arrakis, a world fully as real and as rich as our own, Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a superbeing."

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible