Dyynin Messias by Frank Herbert

Dyynin Messias (original 1969; edition 1987)

by Frank Herbert, Hilkka Pekkanen (Translator)

Member:MaseS
Title:Dyynin Messias
Authors:Frank Herbert
Other authors:Hilkka Pekkanen (Translator)
Info:Porvoo ; Helsinki ; Juva : 1987.
Tags:kaunokirjallisuus, tieteiskirjallisuus, avaruus, avaruusmatkat, perheet, suvut, planeetat, profetiat, taistelut, sodat, hiekkamadot, petos, pako, kohtalot

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

Recently added byAlanDraven, preplibrary, Chadnormal
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

English (71)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
First off, I definitely see myself finishing this series now. I don't believe I've ever finished a series of books, but I think this will be the first. It's all true sci-fi love with me and this series.

The book started out incredibly slow, and there was a point where I was thinking of just dropping it to move on to something else. Once the final 150 pages hit though, the book started moving a lot faster, and became a lot more enjoyable. It wasn't nearly as engrossing for the bulk of the book as the original was, but I understand that to be because this was basically setting up for the third novel, which was supposed to be the finale.

If you intend on finishing the series, this one is definitely worth reading, as it gives you A LOT more insight to how the characters act and why they do what they do. On the other hand, if you do not intend on finishing the series, this book likely isn't worth that much of your time, as it is more of a builder than something that stands on its own.

In summation, while Godfather Part II this is not, it is still quite enjoyable and I look forward to finishing the rest of the series. ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |
Webs within webs. Lies within lies. Dune is always so complicated. I enjoy reading it, but afterward, I always feel the need to read something that's much more straight forward. ( )
1 vote liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
Not nearly as action packed as Dune, Dune Messiah is filled with political intrigue as a plot to assassinate Paul-Muad'dib, who is now Emperor, unfurls.

Herbert asked his readerss to suspend belief and accept his particular brand of religious mumbo-jumbo as reason enough for the failed assassination attempt, the "oracular" vision of Paul after he loses his physical eyes in a bombing, the turning of a clone into a "flesh and blood" Duncan Idaho, and the death of both Paul's concubine, Chani, while giving birth to twins. In addition, we are also expected to buy into the sudden loss of "oracular" vision which leaves Paul truly blind and wandering the desert, as the book ends.

I didn't love this book, but I didn't quite hate it. Being invested in some of the characters, and wanting to read what happened next, made the plot easier to swallow. How far it moves the story forward remains to be seen in book three, Children of Dune. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 24, 2014 |
We get to watch the creation of the Sandworm religion in this volume two of a long series. The characters retain their interest, and the social system is explored more fully, leading me to identify it with the one used by the Ottoman Empire on Earth. probably re-readable. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 10, 2014 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brumm, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grace, GerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969
AR 5.7, 11 Pts
---------------------------

Arrakis, the desert planet called Dune, has been the site of a terrible war and the source of a merciless holy crusade that swept the Galaxy. All this has been the result of the ascension to absolute power of the man known as Muad'dib.
The unforgettable human drama at the center of the vast natural and political forces coming to bear on this vast natural and political forces coming to bear on this vast natural and political forces coming to bear on this unique planet is among the most moving in all of the literature of imagination..

Dune Messiah is the story of a man of overawing wisdom who finds himself subject to human - and more than human - frailties. It is a novel of high adventure and of philosophical and emotional depth.
Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441172695, Mass Market Paperback)

Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a super-being.

"Brilliant...It is all that Dune was, and maybe a little bit more." --Galaxy Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:56 -0400)

"Set on the desert planet Arrakis, a world fully as real and as rich as our own, Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a superbeing."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible