Drown by Junot Díaz

Drown

by Junot Díaz

English (34)  Danish (1)  All languages (35)
Brilliant prose with not always likeable people and even the sympathetic characters engage in marginal behavior (drugs, etc.). Nonetheless, this is a powerful read to understand the immigrant experience. ( )
  mjspear | Oct 5, 2018 |
I very much enjoyed Junot Díaz's novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I looked forward to reading his collection of short stories, but found them not quite as engaging as the long-form novel. I liked the quirky characters and insight into a culture I knew almost nothing about. Diaz writes with a visceral feel for his subjects and settings. People who enjoy the short story form should add another star. ( )
  MarysGirl | May 19, 2018 |
Re-read this for the first time in over a decade this week, and it just happens to be the week that Díaz vaults into the news for controversy over abusive and/or aggressive behavior toward women. The book is undeniably good. The writing crackles in almost every story ("Aurora" is the single exception for me), but it's hard not to think that the line between participating in the misogyny of Yunior, Díaz's narratorial alter-ego, and critiquing it, is a little too blurry. Unsettling read. ( )
  jalbacutler | May 17, 2018 |
A collection of short stories following Yunior, a Dominican boy with an abusive father and drug-dealing career who immigrates to the US as a small boy. Each story is it's own entity, but at the same time they come together to form Yunior's childhood and young adult years comprehensively. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Young immigrants of color show their gratitude to America by looking for drugs and sex while occasionally committing theft and trying to avoid, or cause, physical altercations. Sample sentence from "Aurora": "I wrote but I can't remember what I said to her, except that the cops had come after her neighbor for stealing somebody's car and that the gulls were shitting on everything." Sample sentence from "Drown": "We were raging then, crazy the way we stole, broke windows, the way we pissed on people's steps and then challenged them to come out and stop us." Sample sentence from "How To Date A Browngirl...": "If she's a whitegirl you know you'll at least get a handjob." ( )
1 vote YESterNOw | Feb 29, 2016 |

in English
already falsifies what i
wanted to tell you.
My subject:
how to explain to you that I
don't belong to English
though I belong nowhere else

Gustavo Perez Firmat
Para mi madre,

Virtudes Díaz
We are on our way to the colmado for an errand, a beer for my tío, when Rafa stood still and tilted his head, as if listening to a message I couldn't hear, something beamed in from afar.

El lector tiene en sus manos una colección de relatos que viene precedida de una enorme expectación. Su autor, seleccionado por Newsweek como uno de los diez nuevos rostros para el noventa y seis, nos transporta desde los pueblos y parajes polvorientos de su tierra natal, la República Dominicana, hasta los barrios industrials y el paisaje urbano de New Jersey, bajo un horizonte de chimeneas humeantes. La obra triunfal que marcó el arranque literario de Junot Díaz puede ahora disfrutarse en una edición en español que conserva en su integridad la fuerza desabrida y la delicadeza del texto original.Los niños y jóvenes que pueblan las páginas de Negocios gravitan sin sosiego por territorios marginales, a mitad de camino entre la inocencia y la experiencia, entre la curiosidad infantil y la crueldad más descarnada. Criados en hogares abandonados por el padre, donde todo se sostiene gracias a la férrea abegación de la madre, estos adolescentes acarician sueños de independencia, asomándose con recelo a un mundo donde intuyen que no hay un lugar reservado para ellos. En estos diez relatos la prosa de Junot Díaz oscila con sabiduría entre el humor, la desolación y la ternura, desplegando en cada página un estilo palpitante de vida.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:08 -0400)

Stories set in the Dominican Republic and in New Jersey. In Ysrael, a boy is disfigured by a pig, No Face is on his trip to America to undergo plastic surgery, and How to Date is on the art of dating interracially.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,531,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible