Drown by Junot Diaz

Title:Drown
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Trade (1997), Edition: First Edition Thus, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:short stories, many connected, Dominican Republic, New York, New Jersey, poverty, immigration, talent this big will always make a noise, 2012

Drown by Junot Díaz

English (28)  Danish (1)  All languages (29)
Translated into Spanish as Negocios, a collection of short stories set in the DR and in NY area. The best story of all however, the longest and the last in the book tells a story of a man leaving his family to make his fortune in the USA. It is the story not only of this man coming from the DR to the USA but of economic refugees, ilegal immigrant workers across the world, the terrible hardships and abuse, the separation and distancing from the old life, the fateful choices that are made in trying to start a new life, and the attempts to reconcile the dreams with realities. ( )
  grheault | Jan 30, 2014 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |

Earlier short stories by the author of [b:The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao|297673|The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao|Junot Díaz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275611938s/297673.jpg|3281466]. Most are linked by the character Yunior, and the collection is presumably autobiographical in some respects. It's lean and spare; where Oscar Wao exults in a frenzy of language, Drown is quieter but no less affecting. Similarly, where Oscar Wao is fragmented and postmodern, Drown includes straightforward narratives. The stories, of a Dominican family with an absent father, might most fruitfully be read before Oscar Wao to provide a more intimate and emotional backdrop to the novel. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
Here is a collection of interconnected short stories that is gorgeous. The language is lush. The settings are vibrant. The characters are enthralling. Each story is this collection is brought to life with a barrage of delicately chosen words. Junot Díaz's Drown is a tense, yet lyrical collection which forces a reader pause from time to time in admiration.

The best stories in this collection are the first two and the last three. This worked great for this book as it pulled me in quickly and left me satisfied at its conclusion.

Drown is a wonderful debut. Unfortunately, this makes its brevity all the more disappointing. For all their beauty and intrigue, I was unable to fall in love with any character. Every time I felt I began to feel rooted in one place, I was ripped away and taken five years in the future to another location. Perhaps this is partially the author's intent--to give the reader a taste of these character's hectic lives. But in the end, I know, the richness of the language will stick with me longer than any of these stories will.

Having a taste here of what Díaz is capable of, I am eager to see what he would do with a more focused story. Fortunately, I just acquired a copy of his Pulitzer-winning novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. ( )
  chrisblocker | Mar 30, 2013 |
I have now read all of Diaz's publications. For a first collection this was excellent . Diaz sticks with the area that he knows and it will be interesting to see in the future if he expands his subject matter. Although I enjoyed this collection I did find his subject matter repetitive. However, there is no denying his great use of language and his portrayal of the immigrant experience. I look forward to seeing what he does in the future. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Dec 7, 2012 |
The fact that I
am writing to you
in English
already falsifies what i
wanted to tell you.
My subject:
how to explain to you that I
don't belong to English
though I belong nowhere else

Gustavo Perez Firmat
Para mi madre,

Virtudes Díaz
We are on our way to the colmado for an errand, a beer for my tío, when Rafa stood still and tilted his head, as if listening to a message I couldn't hear, something beamed in from afar.

El lector tiene en sus manos una colección de relatos que viene precedida de una enorme expectación. Su autor, seleccionado por Newsweek como uno de los diez nuevos rostros para el noventa y seis, nos transporta desde los pueblos y parajes polvorientos de su tierra natal, la República Dominicana, hasta los barrios industrials y el paisaje urbano de New Jersey, bajo un horizonte de chimeneas humeantes. La obra triunfal que marcó el arranque literario de Junot Díaz puede ahora disfrutarse en una edición en español que conserva en su integridad la fuerza desabrida y la delicadeza del texto original.Los niños y jóvenes que pueblan las páginas de Negocios gravitan sin sosiego por territorios marginales, a mitad de camino entre la inocencia y la experiencia, entre la curiosidad infantil y la crueldad más descarnada. Criados en hogares abandonados por el padre, donde todo se sostiene gracias a la férrea abegación de la madre, estos adolescentes acarician sueños de independencia, asomándose con recelo a un mundo donde intuyen que no hay un lugar reservado para ellos. En estos diez relatos la prosa de Junot Díaz oscila con sabiduría entre el humor, la desolación y la ternura, desplegando en cada página un estilo palpitante de vida.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:30 -0400)

Stories set in the Dominican Republic and in New Jersey. In Ysrael, a boy is disfigured by a pig, No Face is on his trip to America to undergo plastic surgery, and How to Date is on the art of dating interracially.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible