The Lake That Stole Children: A Fable by…

The Lake That Stole Children: A Fable

by Douglas Glenn Clark

164615,960 (3)None

Reviewed by Cat for TeensReadToo.com

Children are disappearing throughout the village near Flat Horn Lake, rich and poor alike.

The stern Fisherman spends his days providing for and protecting his two children. One morning, he and his wife wake to find their son missing, lured to the river by a desire to escape his father's restrictive ways.

Though the villagers publicly deny their childrens' absence and declare their son dead, the Fisherman refuses to agree. He has heard his son's voice and the voices of the other children crying out from the lake.

To save them, the Fisherman will have to face his greatest fears.

A fable is loosely defined as a short narrative with a strong central truth at its center; in essence, what we now know as fairy tales. Douglas Glenn Clark's THE LAKE THAT STOLE CHILDREN adheres to the traditional "moral of the story," but he adds an intriguing twist with the story's events rooted more in the mystical than the mundane.

This is a sophisticated, ambiguous narrative which allows readers to draw their own conclusions rather than laying everything out for them. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
The Lake That Stole Children begins with a fisherman who is out fishing with his son and daughter. The fisherman is quite strict on his children when it comes to fishing in the lake - as he knows how dangerous it can be for a child with its cold and strong currents. He will not allow them to cast their lines too far into the lake for fear of them falling into the water. The daughter is respectful and obedient but the son feels that if his father weren’t so strict about his casting the line far into the lake he would be able to catch all the fish that his father does. So the boy sneaks out of his home while his family is sleeping and is finally able to cast his line far into the middle of the lake. Lulled by the lake, the beautiful night and his dreams of bringing home fish, he isn’t aware of the danger that awaits him. A huge glass fish resides in the lake that drags him into the water and eventually swallows him into his big glass belly. There he finds other children who have also been imprisoned by the big fish. Fortunately, the fisherman hears the boy’s crying - but will he be able to free his son along with the other children of their glass cage? You’ll have to read this magical story to find out.

I don’t know if it was because it was late at night when I decided to read this short story, but I found it to be quite spooky. It definitely isn’t something I would read to my little one’s, but a 6-8 year old might enjoy it. I’ve read some mixed reviews about this one - but I found that it got the right message across. Listen to your parents - they’re usually right.
Many thanks to Author- Douglas Glenn Clark for sending me an autographed copy. ( )
  bookwormygirl | Apr 15, 2009 |
After finishing this little book (it is a very quick read, only about 40 pages), I found myself feeling somewhat dissatisfied. The book tells the story of a family; a fisherman, his wife, and their two small children, a boy and a girl. The children of the fisherman love to watch their father fish, and the little boy especially longs to catch the beautiful fish that his father seems to capture with ease. The father sternly reproves his son for trying to cast in his line by himself, an action which almost causes the son to fall into the swift current of the river. The father's stern words and gruff nature cause problems between himself and his son, and eventually lead the boy to answer the call of the lake and find himself a prisoner of a great glass fish.

There were several passages of downright beautiful writing in this book. I loved how the author described the boys eyes as, "full of leaping fish and rainbows." In some ways, I do appreciate the message that the author was trying to get across, that we must allow our children to experience things and we can't shelter them from life because we are afraid for them. However, in this case, I felt that this fable was fundamentally flawed. I am currently in the process of raising a toddler. While I do try to let my child have many varied experiences, and to maintain my patience, there are times when I do raise my voice and sternly discipline her for her own safety. I was troubled that the fisherman was portrayed as somehow an unkind parent because he was angry at his son for not taking the dangers of the river seriously. I found myself agreeing with the fisherman when he told his wife that, "discipline is love." I was also bothered that the fisherman's wife seemed to blame him entirely for everything that had happened, and that she was untroubled about the disobedience of her son.

In conclusion, I do feel that this author has some talent, and I would be interested to read what he writes in the future. I cannot however recommend this book as I don't agree with the moral of the story.
  knitbusy |
Unfortunately this book didn't do anything for my children or myself. You truly need a very open imagination for this book. My mind is open and my family & I enjoy books & movies like Harry Potter or Chronicles of Narnia & stuff like that but there was just no excitement here.

I really can't see any age group that this book would appeal to. I understand that there was a moral to this story but it still did nothing for me. Unfortunately I can't recommend this book. ( )

1 avail.1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,888,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible