Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men by Molly…

Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men

by Molly Harper

Series: Jane Jameson (2)

English (34)  Piratical (1)  All languages (35)

Basically the book's brownie points are NOT baked by being exciting and layered, but by 'cute episodes' in the life of Jane.

Humorous and almost boring ~ this one needed life sucked into it. Seriously, by page 90 the only things that had happened were uncertainties about a wedding her best friends are having, mild suspicions about her boyfriend, and a few debates with her mother. 90 pages that does not a plot make.

To make it worse, the story continues to 376 pages, with little else happening. More wedding uncertainties, a tiny mystery sneaks in which has little bearing on the character's lives, some more boyfriend struggles, and a death that's made okay because of the afterlife existing.

Sure, I like Jane - she's awesome, after all. She LOVES books so I can't hate her - she used to work in a library, and now is part-time in an occult bookstore. How cool is that? She begins comparing her love life decisions to the characters from Sense and Sensibility. She quotes epic movies. She recognizes Harry Potter lines. She has cute cow pajamas. What's not to like as a person or character? Sadly she isn't interesting as an effing vampire!

Her vamp sire and main squeeze is likeable, too - Gabriel is almost nudging over being more interesting with fangs, but he doesn't make the cut either. None of them do. If you took the vampire angle out of the equation, you could still almost have the same book and story. They are as low key and mild as I've ever seen vampires portrayed. The weres were at least more interesting as they tended to act a little more like the traditional stereotype. The country theme is just funny - their "jokes" on Zed made me laugh a few times.

The families are godawful. Seriously, Jane's sister is terrible. The grandmother too. I would totally cut off that side of the family and not speak to them again. The father is the only one worth a damn. And Jo's family torturing Zeb? No matter how much I loved the fiance, I'd walk. In-laws like that just mean permanent misery, I've learned that painful experience years ago.

Basically the plot is scarce and not exciting, but there are funny times that made me chuckle. The characters are likeable, even if I'm not into the watered down supernatural stereotypes. I'll be continuing with the series to see if the third book improves. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Like the previous part, this book is incredibly funny. Again well worth reading.
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
A great sequel. Not quite as funny, but very good all the same. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Review
I am a big fan of the folks in Half Moon Hollow. Jane is a great character. She's funny and doesn’t stand down when others are complete jerks to her.

In this book Jane shows just what a great friend she is when she's forced to wear a hideous bridesmaid dress. It may not seem like anything huge, but ugly dresses are awful! She is constantly berated by her Grandma Ruthie. That is one woman that can grate on your nerves. She's so single-minded, and paints herself as a victim when it comes to dealing with Jane.

The shenanigans that Zeb's in-laws pull are hilarious and mortifying. I think they forget that he's human sometimes, or do it because they know he is. I also like that Harper shows that relationships are work regardless of if you are living or undead. She is constantly having to struggle when it comes to her relationship, and that made it very real to me.

I love these books, and want more of Jane Jameson.

BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Amanda Ronconi
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |

Molly Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ronconi, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For David, who puts up with a lot. Best. Husband. Ever.

Life as the undead is finally settling down for Jane Jameson. Her somewhat unhealthy relationship with her sire, Gabriel Nightengale, is slowly coming into focus. She loves her new job at Specialty Books. Her family, well, her father, is adjusting well to her condition. Her mother believes that if Jane would just try hard enough, she wouldn’t have to be a vampire anymore.

With Zeb's Titanic-themed nuptials looming on the horizon, Jane is forced to wear a bridesmaid’s dress her body may reject like a faulty organ. And Zeb’s mother seems hell-bent on stopping the wedding if she can’t have Jane for a daughter-in-law.

In other matrimonial shenanigans, the passing of Grandma Ruthie’s fiancé, Bob, puts her back on the market. Ruthie’s new fiancé, Wilbur, smells like old cheese, has his own sordid history of suspiciously dead spouses, and died more than 20 years ago.

With daytime funerals, mother-of-the-groom hijinks, and Styrofoam icebergs to contend with, will Jane survive her best friend’s wedding? Will she have to make nice with her possibly murderous, definitely creepy, future step-grandpa? What’s a nice undead girl to do?

"Once a devoted children's librarian, Jane Jameson now works at a rundown occult bookstore. Once a regular gal, she's now a vampire. And instead of a bride, she's an eternal bridesmaid--which leads her to question where exactly her relationship with her irresistibly sexy sire, Gabriel, is headed. Mercurial, enigmatic, apparently commitment-phobic vampires are nothing if not hard to read. While Jane is trying to master undead dating, she is also donning the ugliest bridesmaid's dress in history at her best friend Zeb's Titanic-themed wedding. Between a freaked-out groom-to-be, his hostile werewolf in-laws, and Zeb's mother, hell-bent on seeing Jane walk the aisle with Zeb, Jane's got the feeling she's just rearranging the proverbial deck chairs. Meanwhile, Half Moon Hollow's own Black Widow, Jane's Grandma Ruthie, has met her match in her latest fiancé. He smells like bad cheese and has a suspicious history of dead spouses. But Jane's biting her toungue. After all, would a nice girl really think she has a future with a vampire?"--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,953,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible