City of Glass: The Graphic Novel by Paul…

City of Glass: The Graphic Novel (1994)

by Paul Auster (Original Author), Paul Karasik (Adapter), David Mazzucchelli (Adapter)

Series: The New York Trilogy (comic adaptation)

856None10,388 (3.79)11
Recently added bytummidge1, choldi, phredfrancis, Ossiantoday, owentroy, Ribenacat, amphigean, private library

English (15)  Spanish (2)  All languages (17)
As a graphic mystery/detective short novel, this book is very well done. What Karasik and Mazzucchelli have achieved here is no small feat. The abstract thoughts and intricate stories intertwined in the book are delicately interpreted into the visual with striking compositions within each panel as well as on each page. The story is a page turner at times, so I had to go back to re-examine the drawings and composition of the pages. And yes, Auster is not your average thriller/mystery writer, so more intellect and general knowledge of historical facts, literature, and New York will allow the reader to appreciate and enjoy the story more. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
Really good story. It's difficult to convey the sense of a descent into madness and the dissipation of self into nothingness in graphical form; yet I think this book succeeds admirably. I'm judging this work on itself, as I haven't read the original novel. ( )
  Don.A | Apr 1, 2013 |
  Alejandro Alarcón | Dec 19, 2011 |
I like Paul Auster, but I find his brilliance difficult to put into words; with this graphic adaptation of the first volume of The New York Trilogy, the problem is even more difficult.  All of this is appropriate, of course, for a story where the main theme is the inability (or unreliability) of language to capture truth.  When I first read this comic back in 2006, I hadn't yet read the prose novel; upon reading the prose novel some months later, I could not find anything in it that had been subtracted for the comic.  Furthermore, the addition of a visual dimension meant that there was a whole new layer of meaning.

All I can do, then, is praise Paul Karasik and David Mazzucchelli's artwork; their simple, stark style suits the narrative perfectly, and their use of transitions between panels is astounding, showing a complete mastery of the comics medium.  City of Glass is heavy with meaning in the best of ways.
  Stevil2001 | Nov 22, 2011 |
Hmmm.. a book about the language of god?, a crime detective tale? a why are we here story? I really don't know.

It starts really well, an author called Quinn who tragically lost his family, now writes detective novels under an assumed name and leads a very lonely life. He receives a call one night asking for Paul Auster and for some reason Quinn decides to pretend he is Auster.

The call relates to a troubled soul and his fears that his father will try to kill him. Quinn/Auster is set to follow the father. Things begin to get slowly messed up from here and the man he is set to following has been on a lifelong search to discover the lost language of Babel, the language of God.

There are many digressions into the nature of language and we see our man slowly descend into madness as he follows his case. The real author also appears in the story as a kind of narrator to events that happened and that he can't explain. By the end of the story I was left confused as to what happens. The story itself I was enjoying but I simply didn't get the ending. Perhaps I have to read the novel to figure it all out. Approach with caution, a very confusing premise. ( )
1 vote KiwiNyx | Jun 3, 2011 |
If you haven't read City of Glass, then you have an intriguing dilemma: not which of the two books to read - you should read both - but which to read first. I can't really answer that question, because setting them against one another, trying to decide which is more successful, seems pointless. Both are wonderful works of art. Both are worth reading again and again. And each complements the other, the comic driving you back the novel, and vice versa.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Josh Lacey (May 2, 2005)

The result is something akin to a film noir directed by Franz Kafka from a script by William S. Burroughs.
added by stephmo | editBookslut (Jan 1, 2005)

Mr. Mazzucchelli's art is appropriately stark, demonstrating great ingenuity in rendering the intense isolation of these characters.

Auster, PaulOriginal Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Karasik, PaulAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mazzucchelli, DavidAdaptermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Callahan, BobEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drescher, HeikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kriek, BarthoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spiegelman, ArtIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
It was a wrong number that started it...
This is the graphic novel by Paul Karasik and David Mazzucchelli, which adapts the prose novel of the same name by Paul Auster. It is sometimes referred to as Paul Auster's City of Glass or by its membership in the Neon Lit series. Please do not combine it with the prose novel.

A graphic novel classic with a new introduction by Art Spiegelman

Quinn writes mysteries. The Washington Post has described him as a “post-existentialist private eye.” An unknown voice on the telephone is now begging for his help, drawing him into a world and a mystery far stranger than any he ever created in print.

Adapted by Paul Karasik and David Mazzucchelli, with graphics by David Mazzucchelli, Paul Auster’s groundbreaking, Edgar Award-nominated masterwork has been astonishingly transformed into a new visual language.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:43 -0400)

A graphic, crime noir novel on a New York detective-cum-novelist who answers a wrong number. A double- barreled investigation, one from the perspective of the detective, the other from that of the novelist. Adapted from Paul Auster's City of Glass by the creators of Maus.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible