King Lear (No Fear Shakespeare) by John…

King Lear (No Fear Shakespeare)

by John Crowther (Editor), William Shakespeare (Author)

Recently added byErina39, thucydides1, PSCS

Just not a KING LEAR fan, I guess. It lacks exposition, and I just think readers have to jump into it too quickly. Most critics I have read say this one is much better in stage. They are probably right, so I'll put that on my bucket list. I do enjoy reading the NO FEAR SHAKESPEARE texts. They make the plays really easy to understand. It's fairly easy to tell what the important speeches are, so it is easy to look over at the Elizabethan text and consider the beauty of the original poetry of the language as well (for all you purists out there). ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
review original written 2009: This is not going to be a review like my others. I read an English translation of King Lear published by Spark Notes. So why did I read this? Later this month I will be reading Christopher Moore's latest book Fool, which is a take on Shakespeare's King Lear. I figured I'd enjoy Moore's book more if I knew the plot of the original.

So, I've read plenty of Shakespeare in the original text and have no great liking for reading Middle English. I've also seen several Shakespeare plays at the Stratford Festival and once one of those Shakespeare in the Park things. I feel I've done my time with Shakespeare. Unfortunately King Lear is not one I'm familiar with so I decided I'd read and enjoy it in normal English.

The translation I read was very easy to read. It was written in proper prose using everyday language which made it a delight compared to struggling with the original language. It is a very strange tale and at first I couldn't decide if it was a Tragedy or a Comedy as everybody in it is so stupid but as the deaths began to toll I understood it was a Tragedy.

I have to say I found the plot very over the top and unbelievable. I thought Cordelia was a stupid woman who could have prevented the whole horrible mess by opening her mouth in the first scene and King Lear is insane and a raving lunatic the whole play. I can see the potential in a parody of this and look forward to reading Moore's Fool.

The only two Shakespeare plays I really appreciate are Macbeth and Hamlet but I'm up to reading others in the future as long as it is an English translation. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 3, 2016 |

Crowther, JohnEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shakespeare, WilliamAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine King Lear (No Fear Shakespeare) with King Lear.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 158663853X, Paperback)

No Fear Shakespeare gives you the complete text of King Lear on the left-hand page, side-by-side with an easy-to-understand translation on the right.

Each No Fear Shakespeare contains

The complete text of the original play
A line-by-line translation that puts Shakespeare into everyday language
A complete list of characters with descriptions
Plenty of helpful commentary

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:29 -0400)

Presents the original text of Shakespeare's play side by side with a modern version, with marginal notes and explanations and full descriptions of each character.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,483,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible