Key of Light by Nora Roberts

Key of Light (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Nora Roberts

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Key of Light
Authors:Nora Roberts
Info:Jove (2003), Edition: 0, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:paranormal-romance

Key of Light by Nora Roberts (2003)

Recently added byrena75, TaraWood, HeretiCorp, eloquinn

Review for all three books in the trilogy.

The thing about these books isn't the vaguely supernatural plot or the romance, it's the found-family.

There is a vaguely supernatural plot. Strangers, Malory, Dana, and Zoe, are all invited to a mysterious gathering hosted by the even more mysterious Rowena and Pitte. They're told a story about a god, soon to be king, who traveled into the mortal world, fell in love with a human woman. He brought her back to his world and they had three beautiful daughters. When those daughters were grown an evil sorcerer, rival for the king's power, cast a spell on them, trapping their souls in a glass box, leaving their bodies lifeless. The only way the spell could be broken is if three mortal women found the keys to the glass box. Malory, Dana, and Zoe are those three mortal women.

There is romance. The first book centers on Malory, and deals with her romance with Finn. The second on Dana and her romance with Jordan. The third on Zoe and Brad. But the wonderful thing about these books is how little time they spend on romance and how much they spend on the friendship growing between Malory, Dana, and Zoe, the pre-existing friendsihp between Flynn, Jordan, and Brad, and the way these six people become family to each other. Not only do the three women fulfill their quests and find their loves, they also start a business together and spend a great deal of time discussing how wonderful, helpful, and supportive the friendship they're developing is. Sure, there's a great deal of discussion about each other's love lives, but there's also a great deal of discussion about the business, each other's talents, and what each wants from life. To a lesser degree--because this is the women's story, after all--the men have similar discussions.

Found-family is my thing. It gets me every time. And these six people, plus Rowena, Pitte, Zoe's son Simon, and Flynn's goofy dog Moe, make a great family. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Key of Light
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Fate brings three women together for a chance to unlock their deepest desires. On the first of three dangerous quests, Malory Price, who has the soul of an artist and an eye for beauty, must find the Key of Light that could fulfill her destiny...or forever destroy her life.

Review:
The intriguing mythology and quest atmosphere almost compensate for the lackluster romance.

The paranormal elements are more low-key as compared to Roberts’ other series in this genre: The Sign of Seven and Circle trilogies. There is enough detail in the mythology to whet the appetite but it is not sufficiently developed. The connection between the main female characters and the magical sisters whose souls are ensnared remains unclear by the end of the book, but will hopefully be explained by the end of the series.

While Flynn and Malory are likeable characters, their relationship lacks chemistry. It also seems to undergo a confusing role reversal halfway through with Flynn becoming quite hesitant after being the initial instigator and aggressor, as opposed to Malory, who was uninterested at first, becoming the pursuer. Moreover, Flynn’s contribution to the quest is virtually non-existent other than the fact that he is friends with the men who will feature in the sequels.

The secondary characters and the dialogue are the strong points of the book. The other two couples have more sizzle in their relationships and the witty banter, especially between Malory her gay friend from the art gallery, make this a worthwhile read.

Key of Light is a decent beginning to the overall story arc, which is interesting enough to entice me to continue reading. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Trojice žen se po vyslechnutí tajuplného příběhu vydává za pokladem. Společný cíl mezi nimi vytvoří přátelské pouto. Podaří se jim najít tři klíče ke třem skříňkám, ve kterých jsou kletbou uzavřeny duše tří žen? ( )
  nellay83 | May 2, 2016 |
Despite the info dump in the early chapters and a bit of a slow section in the first half, I really enjoyed this book. Malory is one of three women who've been brought together for a very special task. They strike a deal to each find three hidden keys. One by one, they'll each take a turn to find their key. Malory is selected first and the journey begins.

I really enjoyed the relationship between the women. Their sleepovers and banter about men trouble was entertaining and realistic. I think Malory's relationship with Flynn moved way too fast, certainly too fast for true love, but I just went with it because it was enjoyable. Flynn was also a lot of fun, but Moe - the dog - took the spotlight. Watching Flynn try to keep up with his hyperactive dog added a layer of humor between the tension and drama in the plot. I also enjoyed Flynn's relationship with his step-sister and how honest they are with each other. It was a really fun read with an exciting ending. I'll be moving onto the next book! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I didn’t know I’d enjoy Nora Roberts as much as I did. Her female characters come up off the page and sound like real people. Or perhaps I might credit the audio version reader – Susan Ericksen. Some of the dialogue was predictable, but because that’s the way people really talk.
  2wonderY | Dec 11, 2015 |

Nora Robertsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eriksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Tis to create, and in creating live
A being more intense, that we endow With that form our fancy, gaining as we give The lfe we image
For Kathy Onorato, for being my keeper
The storm ripped over the mountains, gushing torrents of rain that struck the ground with the sharp ring of metal on stone.

Three women. Three keys. Each has 28 days to find her key. If one fails, they all lose. If they all succeed, money, power and a new destiny awaits. What happens when the very gods depend on mortals for help? That's what three very different young women find out when they are invited to Warrior's Peak.

The Malory Price Life Plan does not include a quixotic quest -- but the strangers on Warrior's Peak claim that she must find a key that will release three souls held captive by an evil god.

Little does she know that the quest will bring her two new friends, the love of her life, and danger beyond anyone's imagination.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 051513628X, Mass Market Paperback)

Nora Roberts invites you to unlock your dreams... Three women. Three keys. Each has 28 days to find her way through a dangerous quest. Nora Roberts brings us a unique series with a twist—each novel is written in real time, and the novels will be published in consecutive months.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:45 -0400)

Three woman. Three keys. Each has 28 days to find her way through a dangerous quest. Nora Roberts brings us a unique series with a twist-each novel is written in real time, and the novels will be published in consecutive months.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,186,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible