The Peacock Emporium by Jojo Moyes

The Peacock Emporium

by Jojo Moyes

I loved the wonderfully complex set of characters and web of relationships explored in this novel. Read our full review of The Peacock Emporium >> ( )
  BookloverBookReviews | May 18, 2017 |
The book opens in 2001 with a midwife in Buenos Aires involved in a delivery which leaves a bittersweet taste. The next chapter takes us back almost forty years, when Vivi is going to a dance with her friend Douglas. That story continues for a few chapters, as we get to know Douglas and his family rather better... then suddenly we're back to 2001, and a young woman called Suzanna Peacock who is feeling frustrated in life in general, and plans to open a shop - the Peacock Emporium of the book's title.

Reading just a chapter or two at night, I found myself totally confused at first, wondering how on earth these diverse threads would meld together. But gradually I found myself drawn more and more into the story, which is full of believable, and mostly likeable people, along with a few caricatures.

I wasn't sure I was going to like it at all, but by the end could barely put it down. The writing is crisp and very readable; the story cleverly bound together, even if the viewpoint and decade switches are sometimes a little confusing. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I quite liked it. It's not a life changing book, but it's not meant to be. It's just a well done story about a woman struggeling with her marriage, her family and her place in the world. ( )
  Vonini | Jun 11, 2015 |
Athene Forster is the most glamourous girl of her generation. She is also beautiful, spoilt and out of control. And two years after her marriage to the steady young heir to a farming estate the rumours have begun again.Thirty-five years on, Suzanna Peacock is saddled with her dazzling mother's legacy, at odds with her father and his second wife and struggling in a stalled marriage. The only place she finds comfort is in her shop - The Peacock Emporium. There she makes the first real friends of her life, including Alejandro, who is escaping his own ghosts in Argentina...

My Thoughts:

After reading the brilliant ‘Me before You’ I was expecting something as good. This book however was not. I was totally let down. However this book was quirky and different. It had an ok story but I was expecting perhaps a little more at the end when revelations were revealed.

The book was slow at times and very random and did keep jumping about. Large chunks in the middle were quite slow going and I did wonder where it was going.

Finally finished the book and I felt like I was reading it forever and overall not too bad but after reading ‘Me before You’ I felt like I had read two completely different authors.

A bit of a plodder this one but I was determined to finish it. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 8, 2013 |
Very just OK.
Story begins with Vivi and her deb ball hoping to snag rich, wonderful Douglas Fairley-Hume who only has eyes for Athlene Forrester. Vivi is patient, however.
Then we move into the present day with Suzanne Peacock who moved to Dere, England and opens a shop in the small town where she employees a young woman Jesse who lives with an abuser.
Very light beach reading, nothing more. Can't say I want to read any more by JoJo. ( )
  coolmama | Nov 8, 2010 |
To my mother and father, Lizzie Sanders and Jim Moyes. With love and thanks.
Die Klimaanlage im Hospital de Clinicas hatte den Geist aufgegeben, schon zum dritten Mal in dieser Woche.
It was less a garden than, as one visitor had noted, a kind of horticultural concentration camp.

In the Sixties, Athene Forster is the most glamorous girl of her generation. Nicknamed the Last Deb, she is also beautiful, spoilt and out of control. When she agrees to marry dashing young heir Douglas Fairley-Hulme her parents breathe a sigh of relief. But within two years rumours have begun to circulate about Athene's affair with a young salesman.

Thirty five years on, Suzanna Peacock is struggling with her glamorous mother's legacy. At odds with her father and his second wife, struggling in a stalled marriage, she returns to the place of her birth to find that the ghost of her mother, in differing ways, still haunts them all.

'The Peacock Emporium' is the third multi-generational saga from the author of 'Sheltering Rain' and 'Foreign Fruit', for women of all ages.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,560,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible