Dog Boy by Eva Hornung

Dog Boy (2009)

by Eva Hornung

English (32)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  English (34)
I absolutely adored this book. I bought it ages ago and I kept meaning to read it for a while but was busy reading another series. As I waited to source the next book of my other series, I grabbed the opportunity to tuck into this one. And I'm glad I did. It's has been reviewed as utterly compelling and it really is. Little Ramochka finds himself alone at home and no one comes home. Eventually he finds himself out on the streets of Moscow looking for food. He meets a dog and his new life begins. The dogs accept little Ramochka and soon he is living with them and living a dogs life. It's such a fascinating book. It's well written, interesting and also sad in many aspects. The reason this doesn't get 5 stars is because it slowed down in the middle when the focus shifted from the dogs and on to the staff at the children's centre. I kept wanting to go back to the Ramochka and the dogs. Anyway 4/5 for me. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Aug 8, 2016 |
I can't stop thinking about this book. It picked me up, made me cry, made me cringe, made me laugh, made me so happy I read it. The final scene often comes back to rattle my brains. We've all heard of dog boys and Russia probably comes to mind. It makes a fine novel when you think: "Wait... did this actually happen?" If it did, it would happen this way. Love is abandoned in despair and constantly sought by those abandoned. I don't know if I wanted Romochka to continue his life with the dogs or be "redeemed" by caring humans. It's been a few months now and I still can't decide. ( )
  catscritch | Oct 27, 2015 |
This was a very uncomfortable book to read. It is written from the point of view of a small child who is abandoned by all of the adults and end up living with a small pack of dogs. The language is easy, the story compelling and interesting at all stages.
If you want a book that get you out from your comfort zone without too much effort this is the book for you. ( )
  jessicariddoch | Jun 25, 2013 |
Winner of the 2010 Australian Prime Minister’s Literary Award, Dog Boy is a marvel of experience and of emotion. Four-year-old Romochka is abandoned in Moscow at the beginning of winter. Hungry and cold, he follows a feral dog to her lair – and so starts Romochka’s life as a dog. The premise sounds preposterous, but Hornung makes it work. Every time I start thinking that it couldn’t possibly have been as good as I remember, I read my notes – and I believe again.

I can’t understand why this book didn’t win more awards. Hornung has previously published novels as Eva Sallis – she is one author I will be reading more of.

Shannon over at Giraffe Days has written an articulate, passionate review . Sue at Whispering Gums beat us all to it with her review in 2010. All I can add to these two is: READ THIS.

Warnings: a half-dozen uses of that four letter word, and a brief torture scene.

Read this if: you’re breathing. 5+ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | May 10, 2013 |
Romochka, a four-year-old boy abandoned and starving, ventures out of a deserted apartment building into the freezing streets of Moscow with his missing mother’s words ringing in his ears. Don’t go near people. Don’t talk to strangers. Wandering the streets, the boy becomes lost and desperate. The only being he dares to approach is a feral dog and he follows her back to a den, lies down with her four pups, suckles and survives. And so this small boy crosses an unspeakable boundary, living with feral dogs in the basement of a tumble-down church on the outskirts of a modern city. He is given shelter, food and affection and he learns to survive as a dog and to become a member of the pack.

Eventually another human baby joins the pack as his brother. He is eventually caught and put into an institution for study. Romochka finds him, but is devastated when his brother dies. More tragedy strikes when the pack is killed and Romockka himself is captured.

Really interesting book. Quite technical towards the end when human/animal behavior is examined in the institution. For a more advanced reader. Would be good to pair with Life of Pi. ( )
  dalzan | Apr 21, 2013 |

Lemos, JulianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liuzzi, ClementinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parisi, DanieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first night was the worst.
We are the only dish on the table.

A four-year-old boy named Romochka is abandoned by his mother and uncle and left to fend for himself on the streets of Moscow, with uncounted millions of homeless children and adults. He follows a stray dog to its home in a deserted church celler. There he joins Mamochka, the mother of the pack, and six other dogs and slowly he forgets his human attributes to survive two fiercely cold winters. Romochka attracts the attention of local police, street urchins, and finally, scientists.… (more)

33 wanted6 pay1 pay

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921520426, 1921656379

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,626,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible