Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

I Am Legend (1954)

by Richard Matheson

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Rynooo, PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Patangel)
    The Martian by Andy Weir (johnny_merc)
    johnny_merc: Totally different genre; but another interesting take on the man alone genre. Also interesting that the main protagonist resorts to science to resolve issues.
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Excellent post-apocalyptic story set in Colorado. Well developed story and characters.
    la nuit a devore le monde by Pit Agarmen (yokai)
    H5N1 Code Name: GREED by Jacqueline Druga (cmwilson101, cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these books are about sole survivors who make it their aim in life to kill the monsters that have taken over the world; in I am Legend, the monsters are vampires, and in H5N1, the monsters are somewhat-rational zombies.
    An Awkward Age by Anna Starobinets (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Similar style of short story, often with a gruesome twist.
    Le Dernier Monde by Céline Minard (Cypress)
    That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley (Joles)

English (131)  French (8)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (150)
The titular story was great, but I wasn't quite sure about the other stories that were included in this collection. Some of them were original, but they didn't quite hit the right notes with me. Nevertheless, the titular story is well worth reading and this was a fairly good display.

3 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jun 11, 2019 |
The Vincent Price Version is very close to the book. I've read some of the reviews and most don't seem to appreciate the fact that the book was published in 1954 when thoughtful horror stories were few and far between. It is a classic. ( )
  mhatchett | Feb 25, 2019 |
This is another "end of the world" type of story. There has been an illness that is causing people to turn into vampires. (I know - for real). The main character's name is Robert. He is pretty sure he is the last man on earth that isn't a vampire. During the day time, he goes out into the city hunting vampires who sleep like the dead (and won't attack him) and hunt for food and supplies. At night he has to hole up in his house to try and keep the vampires out. They know he is in there, and are constantly trying to break in. He can't get away from the city where he is because once the sun goes down, he has to be back in the safety of his house.

Robert also spends a lot of time at the library trying to figure out if there can be a cure for the people who are not "too far gone".

This is a really short story. The book has many short stories in it, and this is just one of them. I have seen the movie "I am Legend" and it is nothing like this book. Well - almost nothing. Yes there are vampires and yes there is Robert, but that is where the similarities end. So I was shocked when I read it - expecting it to be similar.

The story holds its own. Robert is very infested in finding a cure. He is desperate for human contact. He hardly sleeps because at night the vampires scream for him to come out and join them.

The ending was the same as the movie (if you have seen it - no spoilers if not), but it just happens in a different way.

You could try this book. It wasn't really my cup of tea.....maybe because it was so short. I never really got as invested in the characters as I would have liked. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I read I am Legend decades ago, long before seeing any of the myriad film adaptations of the book, and I was somewhat underwhelmed by the experience. I’ve since seen two film versions of I am Legend and can confirm that in both cases, the film outshines the book.

I am Legend is not much more than a novella but it tends to drag in places, (you’ll soon tire of the section featuring like the dog). Ultimately, what kept me reading was not the prose but the premise of a lone man fighting off pseudo-vampires who becomes the nightmare bogeyman of pseudo-vampire children. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Jan 8, 2019 |
I've never seen any of the movie adaptations, and went in to this blind. A post-apocalyptic story, a vampire story, and ultimately a sad story of a man all alone in a world completely changed and absolutely terrifying. Really good writing and a haunting ending. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |
Matheson maakt op een briljant-ingenieuze wijze gebruik van de Vampiermythe voor Essef doeleinden
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Glavni junak romana, Robert Nevil, poslednji je čovek u svetu zaraženom vampirizmom. Zabarikadiran u svom domu, on svake noći vodi bitku da preživi do svitanja, pri čemu mu neprijatelji nisu samo krvožedni stvorovi napolju, nego i sopstveni nagoni, ludilo koje vreba i uspomene na lepšu prošlost. Sudbinu Roberta Nevila na kraju zapečatiće jedna žena čija će ga izdaja suočiti sa istinom da se shvatanje normalnosti preokrenulo i da je sada sam na njenoj drugoj strani. Na onoj strani na kojoj se stupa u legendu.

Prvenstvena tema Metisonovog dela je „opasna različitost”. Njegovi vampiri su sivi i istovetni, simbol vladavine populizma, dok je Nevil večiti pojedinac u borbi protiv neprijateljskih sila prirode i društva.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Matheson, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hill, JoeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sleight, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiesen, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Henry Kuttner with my grateful thanks for his help and encouragement on this book.
On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.
This work just contains the short novel "I Am Legend". Please do not combine other works entitled "I Am Legend" which contain the short novel and short stories with it.

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH
IS NOT ALONE

Robert Neville may well be the only survivor of an incurable plague that had mutated every other man, woman, and child into bloddthirsty, nocturnal creatures who are determined to destroy him.

By day, he scavenges for food and supplies, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But all the while the infected lurk in the shadows, watching his every move, waiting for him to make a mistake...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0575081988, Paperback)

film edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

"Robert Neville is the last living man on Earth - but he is not alone. Every other man, woman and child on the planet has become infected with a vampire bacillus and they are hungry for Neville's blood.By day he is the hunter, stalking the undead through the ruins of civilisation. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn. How long can one man survive like this?"--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible