Sarah by Marek Halter

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
this book is rather heinous. an intriguing take on the positions&beliefs of the characters but made ridiculous. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I enjoy reading fictional accounts of biblical stories, and this novel was an adequate example of the genre. It is very easy to read, mainly because of the breakneck pace the author takes, especially toward the end. I think my main complaint of this novel is that too much of it is focused on Sarai's pre-Abram life (which is largely imagined) and less on Sarah's actual experiences with her long-awaited pregnancy. Abraham's near-sacrifice of Isaac is covered in about two pages, rushed toward the end. I still didn't mind reading the story, however, and I will try the others in the series. ( )
  saskreader | Apr 29, 2011 |
I enjoy the biblical historical fiction novels mostly due to the fact that it helps me brush up on my biblical history & enables the bible to come a little more alive for me. I had heard Marek Halter was a fairly good author of the genre, but I'm not sure this lived up to my expectations. I earread this on audio (abridged), & while the reader was clear & concise, she had a rather brusque quality with her reading, which rather turned me off at times. I will likely read the 2nd & 3rd books in the Canaan Trilogy for the aforementioned reasons to satisfy my curiosity, but I think the abridged versions of those will be satisfactory. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 1, 2011 |
I admit that I do not know much about the Biblical figure of Sarah, wife to the near mythic Abraham, but this re-imagining of her left me, at most, curious about what the Bible tells us of her. In this book, she is portrayed as an eternally beautiful, fiercely independent woman, uncommon for the time. Also, her barren womb is attributed to a potion taken as a child to prevent pregnancy in an unwanted marraige. I honestly do not know that this is proven in the Bible or any other historical text, but I fell that it is a bit of a stretch. Though it does create more drama and an interesting read, it seems to have become a trend to recast historical female characters into modern feminist roles.
But this is my own beef with writing memes. I will say that it is well written, with good rising and falling action, and it did make me want to go back and reference the Bible, and catch up on all those things I forgot from church. ( )
  sexy_librarian | Mar 10, 2010 |
Wish I could give it 3 and 1/2 stars. I like it enough to read the second book in the series, but it didn't *wow* me. The ending is too rushed. And Abraham--man! what a douche bag! Not a very likeable chap. I guess he DID try to sacrifice his son...Somewhat comparable to THE RED TENT. Though THE RED TENT is sooooooo much better.
  bwookie | Jan 7, 2009 |

People may know that Abraham, the great Patriarch of the Old Testament, was the first man to spread God's word. But how many know of his wife, Sarah? How she was born into a wealthy and powerful family in the Sumerian city of Ur? Or how, at the age of twelve, escaping her own wedding ceremony, she ran to the banks of the Euphrates river and into the arms of a young stranger camped on the outskirts of the city. His name was Abraham and, although he was a member of a poor nomadic tribe, their encounter that night was enough to convince Sarah that their future lay together. And so Sarah abandoned everything - wealth, family and status - to follow Abraham and his alien God; a God of whom no one had ever heard; a God who was invisible and who appeared to communicate solely through her husband; a God who, one day, would command Abraham to kill their beloved son in his name, and before whom Sarah would beg for mercy...Set against the epic backdrop of the Sumerian cities of Ur and Babylon four thousand years ago, and in the arid wastelands of the Arabian desert, Marek Halter brings an ancient world vividly to life through the eyes of a beautiful and passionate woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:01 -0400)

Born into a world of luxury in the ancient Sumerian city of Ur, Sarah flees the arranged marriage planned by her father, a decision that leads to an encounter with Abram, a member of a nomadic tribe of outsiders.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible