Sarah by Marek Halter

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Follows the Bible in a fictional account of Sarah, wife of Abram, from her home in Ur to her nomadic life with Abraham, the believer in the One True God. ( )
  lindahallmann | Jun 13, 2015 |
This is the first book in the Canaan trilogy, I read the second one Zipporah a couple of years ago. I was more familiar with the story of Zipporah, having watched Prince of Egypt with the kids many times. I was not as familiar with the story of Sarah, wife of Abraham.

This is one of those books that starts with Sarah as an old woman telling us her story and then goes to Sarah as a young woman. Sarah is the daughter of a lord, and has just had her first blood and is therefore of a marriageable age. Her father has selected a husband for her. Sarah is frightened and runs away, beginning the chain of events that leads her to Abram and all that follows.

I found this book quite easy to read. I enjoyed the story of Sarah as a young woman and the trials she has to face. She had a lot of inner strength but still had character flaws that made her seem down to earth and realistic. ( )
  Roro8 | Mar 24, 2015 |
The story of Sarah, wife of Abraham, as told by a Harlequin Romance novellist. (Or he ought to be, anyway.) I gave up at page 165, though a quick skim of the later pages revealed no improvement.

Halter has re-cast the traditional Sarah (half-sister of Abraham, of Ur of the Chaldees) as the daughter of a mighty noble of Ur, while Abraham is a foreigner who lives outside the city walls. When they first meet, it becomes clear that they do not speak the same first language. Luckily, he speaks her language (albeit with a weird accent), and the issue never comes up again: when she goes to live with his people and marry him, she is immediately subject to everyone's gossip and gets not a moment of peace through incomprehension. This is, of course, after he rescues her from the temple of Ishtar, where she danced half-naked within arms length of an angry bull (repeatedly). Right... ( )
  Heduanna | Jan 25, 2015 |
this book is rather heinous. an intriguing take on the positions&beliefs of the characters but made ridiculous. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
I enjoy reading fictional accounts of biblical stories, and this novel was an adequate example of the genre. It is very easy to read, mainly because of the breakneck pace the author takes, especially toward the end. I think my main complaint of this novel is that too much of it is focused on Sarai's pre-Abram life (which is largely imagined) and less on Sarah's actual experiences with her long-awaited pregnancy. Abraham's near-sacrifice of Isaac is covered in about two pages, rushed toward the end. I still didn't mind reading the story, however, and I will try the others in the series. ( )
  saskreader | Apr 29, 2011 |

People may know that Abraham, the great Patriarch of the Old Testament, was the first man to spread God's word. But how many know of his wife, Sarah? How she was born into a wealthy and powerful family in the Sumerian city of Ur? Or how, at the age of twelve, escaping her own wedding ceremony, she ran to the banks of the Euphrates river and into the arms of a young stranger camped on the outskirts of the city. His name was Abraham and, although he was a member of a poor nomadic tribe, their encounter that night was enough to convince Sarah that their future lay together. And so Sarah abandoned everything - wealth, family and status - to follow Abraham and his alien God; a God of whom no one had ever heard; a God who was invisible and who appeared to communicate solely through her husband; a God who, one day, would command Abraham to kill their beloved son in his name, and before whom Sarah would beg for mercy...Set against the epic backdrop of the Sumerian cities of Ur and Babylon four thousand years ago, and in the arid wastelands of the Arabian desert, Marek Halter brings an ancient world vividly to life through the eyes of a beautiful and passionate woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

Born into a world of luxury in the ancient Sumerian city of Ur, Sarah flees the arranged marriage planned by her father, a decision that leads to an encounter with Abram, a member of a nomadic tribe of outsiders.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,431,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible