Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (1)

4,986464913 (3.83)1 / 274
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (457)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (463)
Alright, I picked this book up because Id heard it was a complete catastrophic mess. Id heard many, many bad reviews and few good ones. I like to read a good dose of terrible writing every once in awhile, mainly because sometimes these books are my favourites.

The novel starts off with Grace describing the wolf attack where she met her canine obsession. I can easily see why she would be obsessed with an animal that rescued her from death, then returns every winter to her home to watch her. Later on in the book Sam (our canine obsession humanized) and Grace become friends, boyfriend and girlfriend and finally lovers. In between this blooming relationship's dialogues, we learn about Mercy Falls' residents, and of Jack - the one who was bitten and left to learn about his lycanthropy on his own.

I loved the relationship between Grace and her wolf-come-human. It was a sweet story about first love, and the complete trust you have in that person. A really unique point in all young woman's lives, since we only get to experience that type of love once. Stiefvater's writing did a decent job of evoking emotions from me, which was rather fascinating since most YA fiction tends to be less emotional for me because I cant connect with the characters.

Every character in Mercy Falls has major personality quirks: Grace is selfish at timees an obsessed with Sam, Sam is obsessed with Grace and cant function without her telling him what to do, Olivia is rather rude and mean to her "best friend" Grace but still loves her, and so on. I found that these personality flaws, intentional or not, made the characters more real for me because none of them are perfect.

I didn't like how eventually Sam became so dependent on Grace, and vice versa. The relationship is still new, so it wasn't a huge deal for me, just part of being in a first-love-relationship. This will pass, obviously but, it made me a little frustrated with the characters.

The poetry, song lyrics and whatnot detracted from the story. I hated them, but I understood why Stiefvater put them in and respect it. Its just not my cup of tea.
  trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
Meh. More Twilight rip-off crap. At least this simple book doesn't pretend to be anything more than what it is by using pretentious language. The romance was stale and cliche and the his/hers perspectives made it even more nauseating (image if Stephanie Meyer really had gone through with writing Edward's perspective *involuntary shudder*). This book is redeemed entirely in the fact that it's a quick, low-level, no-brains-required read - perfect for lower students and reluctant readers. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 16, 2015 |
I'm on chapter 24, and so far this is barely tolerable. I'm listening to the audibook which requires little of me, so I may as well finish. Really, this is nauseating. More interspecies pre-destined love, boy watching girl sleep, hours of "he smells so good" and "his feral odor" was so hot, I only eat bunnies, as if Twilight weren't enough. ::sigh::

Update: I couldn't finish this awful book. I can't really say anything positive about it other than it is completely appropriate for middle school girls who love Twilight; it's more of the same with none of the novelty. Completely unrealistic characters, dialogue, events, even for parts that are NON-fantasy. I'm really amazed at how different my tastes are from most of my friends, as I'm seeing glowing reviews from all of them. ? ? ?

1 vote engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Amazon's Best Books of the Year: 2009 (#62), ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2010), ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (2010). First in The Shiver Trilogy. Werewolves. Romance.
  CindyMcClain | Jul 20, 2015 |
This book is an antidote to the juvenile writing of Twilight. Although it's not a vampire tale, it is a werewolf tale and the writing is lyrical without being overwhelming. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Eerste deel van een trilogie (The Wolves of Mercy Falls) over het tienermeisje Grace dat verliefd wordt op een jongen die iedere winter in een wolf verandert. Als klein meisje werd Grace (ik-figuur) gered door een wolf met goudkleurige ogen toen ze door zijn wolfsroedel in het bos achter haar huis werd aangevallen. De wolf blijft terugkomen en haar fascineren. Jaren later ontmoet ze Sam, een jongen met dezelfde goudkleurige ogen als haar wolf. Sam is die wolf. Grace en Sam worden verliefd op elkaar maar hoe moet het verder als het weer winter wordt? Om en om komen Sam en Grace aan het woord in dit goed geschreven, spannende, romantische, maar ook weemoedig verhaal dat meer diepte en overtuigingskracht heeft dan de meeste verhalen in dit genre. Stiefvater heeft een originele visie op weerwolven en de onmogelijk lijkende Romeo-en-Julia-liefde tussen Sam en Grace wordt mooi, soms bijna poëtisch beschreven. Goed ontvangen door de Amerikaanse critici, haalde de top tien van de New York Bestsellerlist. De filmrechten zijn inmiddels verkocht.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,695,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible