Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (1)

4,868452950 (3.83)1 / 273
Recently added bymamelotti, zkazy, JaFi14, meboo, bookjunkie57, private library, Rie_Kongsberg, RCW
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (448)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (454)
The main character is Amy. She has normal parents and a pretty normal life. All besides the fact that she got pulled off of her swing when she was a little child. The wolves were the ones who dragged her away and pretty much almost killed her. But they didn't....I mean they would have but one of the wolves with yellow eyes(as a human he has these eyes also)couldn't help but feel sorry for the little girl. Ever since then, she would look out the window and see "her wolf" and couldn't help but want to be able to become a wolf so that she may be with "her wolf". She never got worried when her wolf disappeared because she knew that he would come back when it was winter. Little did she know that he was a werewolf and never really truly left her home town, but just spent most of his time near the fire or in someplace that had heating because it was said that a werewolf only changed due to the heat. Werewolves in the book only have a certain amount of times they change back into a human before they stay wolf forever. Amy and Sam(the werewolf) are trying to stop that. The entire book is about them two trying to keep him from turning back into a wolf forever.

The book was a great success and I can not wait to read more books/series by this author. ( )
  JaFi14 | Apr 20, 2015 |
I struggled to get into this book, although I'm not really sure why. The story is good and the characters are ok, however I did feel like there wasn't much development of the secondary characters.
There were some questions that the book left unanswered, but as this is the first in a series I would expect these to be addressed in later books.

Overall a cute teen fantasy romance that was enjoyable, but I won't be reading the following books. ( )
  26kathryn | Apr 17, 2015 |
Really great book :) I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
The book is about a girl, Amy, who is 17 years old and goes to a normal high school and has normal friends and normal parents. Except for the fact that when she was younger she got attacked by wolves and was dragged into the forest where she almost died. She lived through but she never knew how she got away. Since then a wolf has been watching her from the woods behindher house. Every winter she would see him, but every summer he would disapear. She always wondered why until one day she found him laying on her door step injured from a hunter. In human form. He was a wherewolf. The entire book is about them two trying to keep him from turning back into a wolf forever. She finds out that when its cold he turns into a wolf and in the summers turns into a human. Wherewolves in the book only have a certain amount of times they change back into a human before they stay wolf forever. Amy and Sam the wherewolf are trying to stop that.

I thought the book was fun. There was excitement,and romance,and mystery. I don't think the writer did a good job explaining how they felt though so it got a little boring when she tried to explain how they felt. Sometimes it felt like the writer just went off in his own little world and wrote random things that hardly had anything to do with the book at all, so that got boring. It took me a long time to get interested in the book. Through half of the book the only reason I was reading it was because me and my friend wanted to read it at the same time. Not because it was interesting. But I loved the fantasy and the characters and it was a good story all together. ( )
  aliya.b1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Grace is a normal girl with a normal life; She just has one thing in her life that excites her more than anything, Winter. Why? Because thats when her wolf comes out, the wolf she's loved since she was little. But what happens when she she meets him but he's no longer her wolf? As they go through the hardships of being different and parents; They might find that what they really need.
I recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy novels. Overall the writing was good. Sometimes it changes character perspectives without warning; Which can get annoying. Most of the characters are likable and have backstories. Overall I recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed Twilight or any supernatural love stories. ( )
  GabiJ.G1 | Mar 19, 2015 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,712,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible