Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (1)

5,234475848 (3.82)1 / 285
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (473)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (479)
Grace attacked by wolves when she was younger; now has an intense passion for the wolves that lurk in the woods behind her house. One wolf, in particular, with yellow eyes keeps her attention. As the story unfolds, she realizes that the wolves are not just wolves, but werewolves. She meets Sam, her wolf, and finds out the details of how the wolves change, and what causes it. A student at her school was attacked by the wolves, and she later realizes this boy that was attacked was still alive in the form of a wolf. She and Sam are on mission to find this new wolf, and to keep Sam from shifting into a wolf. Things become intense, and Isabelle the new wolf's sister complicates the situation. An inventive story with elements of suspense, romance, and action. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
This was an okay romance book. I have read many better books. The action was okay, but I wnated more power from the main character. I hate damsels in distress. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Interesting youth fantasy book -- well written and (yay!!) no vampires! ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
So, I have to admit, I'm a bit of a sucker for werewolf stories. And the novel Shiver definitely delivered, with interesting characters and a unique plot for a book on werewolves (that in itself is pretty hard). The main character, Grace Brisbane has always felt like there was something missing, and that something comes in the form of the wolves she has seen in her backyard. She's fascinated by them, and feels a deep connection to them somehow. This connection only strengthens when she realizes that this pack is in fact a group of werewolves, and we observe her reaction to this as she accepts them as family. Not only is the fantasy element delivered, but there are other subplots that are pretty interesting as well. An example of this would be the seemingly dysfunctional home environment that Grace lives in, and how this changes and affects her throughout the book. Also, the whole werewolf phenomenon is viewed on a much more scientific level in this novel, being perceived as more of an infectious disease whose symptoms are set off based on the weather throughout the year (they're basically triggered by temperature change). If you like fantasy, then its a worthwhile read. ( )
  kdavis17 | Apr 1, 2016 |
3/Jan/2010= I like that the chapters are so short, but to tell you the truth I don't get the girl at all. I mean you could really be fascinated with something, but I never met a "person" who wanted to be an animal. So I am sorry but tell now (Chapter 11) I still don't get the story. and there is so empty spaces in the story line, the book seems somehow incomplete.
13/Jan/2010= No. I feel nothing to the book. Sorry. I don't like it. I've reached chapter 19 page 99 and I can't understand why anyone liked the book... it is weakly written, empty of real feelings and facts. I know it is fiction, but even in fiction, emotions are all the same. The cover is really good though. and it is so like Twilight, the new-old car, the girl cooking, crazy mother, a guy sleeping in the bedroom without the parents knowing, the cold weather!
I am giving the book another go, I got the audiobook, and I am liking it better now.
I've reached chapter 44 and the book is growing on me, I got both the story and the girl now, I feel sorry for Grace, her parents suck, Sam is such a nice guy. I loved the parts in the candy shop and book store :) bittersweet ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Eerste deel van een trilogie (The Wolves of Mercy Falls) over het tienermeisje Grace dat verliefd wordt op een jongen die iedere winter in een wolf verandert. Als klein meisje werd Grace (ik-figuur) gered door een wolf met goudkleurige ogen toen ze door zijn wolfsroedel in het bos achter haar huis werd aangevallen. De wolf blijft terugkomen en haar fascineren. Jaren later ontmoet ze Sam, een jongen met dezelfde goudkleurige ogen als haar wolf. Sam is die wolf. Grace en Sam worden verliefd op elkaar maar hoe moet het verder als het weer winter wordt? Om en om komen Sam en Grace aan het woord in dit goed geschreven, spannende, romantische, maar ook weemoedig verhaal dat meer diepte en overtuigingskracht heeft dan de meeste verhalen in dit genre. Stiefvater heeft een originele visie op weerwolven en de onmogelijk lijkende Romeo-en-Julia-liefde tussen Sam en Grace wordt mooi, soms bijna poëtisch beschreven. Goed ontvangen door de Amerikaanse critici, haalde de top tien van de New York Bestsellerlist. De filmrechten zijn inmiddels verkocht.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible