Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (1)

6,139507962 (3.79)2 / 302
Recently added byrena75, CofrinLibrary, private library, Amanda7, therapite
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (506)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (512)
I adore Maggie Stiefvater's ability to create a blossoming romance between two realistic characters. I've seen less deft authors fixate on a romantic interest without letting the readers discover on our own why we ought to love the love interest as much as the main character does, but Ms. Stiefvater expertly avoids even a hint of that. Sam and Grace are very different in several obvious ways--on the surface, for example, Grace is a numbers person and Sam is a poetry lover--but they still mesh beautifully, and it's clear that they belong together.

The novel switches back and forth between the two main characters' points of view, and there is a distinct shift in voice when the narrator changes. Both characters are fully developed and exist as their own person. I felt as if I was getting to know two separate people better than they were getting to know each other. That, in particular, is what makes their romance so enticing. Everything that makes them too shy to make a move or otherwise holds them back--we, as readers, get to understand every bit of that, to the point where when Grace is narrating, we can almost see Sam thinking, and vice versa.

This is an amazing story, full of poetry that sings as magnificently as the characters' experience of first love. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Think Twilight, but with werewolves (okay, *just* werewolves) and more intelligently written. Add some poetry, and a heart-wrenchingly sad and beautiful romance, and you've got Shiver.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
OK. I did not really get into the characters and felt that the wolf/werewolf theme never really got off the ground. Students might like it because of the romantic relationship reminiscent of Twilight. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
This book is about a girl named Grace Brisbane, who one day was swinging on a tire swing and was yanked off by a pack of wolves and was mauled with them. There is also a boy named Sam who is wolves but turns into human during the summer time. Basically there is this guy named beck who is the leader of the humans packs. He is getting to old to be switching back and fourth with wolf and human. So hes trying to teach a bunch of others before his power dies off. Eventually to find out grace was bitten but not fully turned into a wolf which is causing her a painful fever. Lucky a close friend named Olivia helped and so did jack sister, Isabel.
I think this book is interesting I didn't like for unrealistic it was and wish it was put more together. For example i wish that they explained a little bit more on Graces back round story instead of just stating who she is and the basic information on her, and then continuing the story as is. I also wish that Isabel wast added in same goes for Olivia. I really liked the romance that Grace and Sam had going on. Other then that i guess I liked this book. ( )
  isabellad.b2 | May 29, 2018 |
Very good YA read. I would have loved this in my younger days, and quite enjoyed reading it now. I'm going to have to track down some more of this author's work :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maggie Stiefvater's book Shiver was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,625,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible