Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (1)

5,164469866 (3.82)1 / 277
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (465)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (471)
I LOVE this book. It was everything I was hoping for and more. Told through a two person narrative. Grace’s obsession with the wolves fit in the story perfectly. (some reviewers thought it was so) Sam's character knocked perfect out of the ballpark. He was so sweet, honest and he smelled like a wolf. He’s self-sacrificing and he loves Grace. Oh, and he loves books !
The plot keep me on my toes and brought tears to my eyes more than once, the candy store, sniff.Her sensory images seduce you into the story. Everything is so detailed you can , small, see, feel the story. There is magic in every word every sentence every paragraph. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I felt disappointed with this book. After hearing so many great things about it, I expected it to be, well, at least more than just readable (or listenable, in this case).

The plot wasn't very interesting, and it was rather predictable, especially the ending. Some of the parts of the story irritated me. For example, the simplest solution which could be thought on how to stop changing into a wolf because of the cold would be to move somewhere where it is never cold, right? So why the author decided to wait until somewhere around the middle of the book to explain this one when the readers (I guess the majority of them) had this thought from the beginning? One more thing which I didn't quite understand about this story was Grace's fascination with wolves. I mean, really, would you be fascinated with the wolves who tried to kill you when you were just a little girl (oh, and wouldn't you have tried to save yourself in the first place)? It sounded unreasonable. The characters and their relationships were not the most likable and believable either. Plus, there were parts when I thought "Was that really necessary?", because I felt like some things were just thrown into the story to make it more YA-ish or whatever you may call it.

With that said, I will probably try the second book in the series because I've heard it is better than the first one. But next time I'll grab a printed copy, because I was not quite satisfied with narrating (Sam's 'voice' sounded too old for the character and it was kind of weird listening to it). ( )
  drakonas | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is a beautifully presented book and when I read the blurb I was eager to get my hands on it, but what a disappointment! "Shiver" had the potential to be a great book but fails to deliver. The plot is almost non-existent and the characters are one dimensional. if I stopped in the middle of a chapter I would have to go back to the start of the chapter, when I picked up the book again, to find out who was speaking, as the voices of the two main characters were indistinguishable. Extremely disappointing!! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Eerste deel van een trilogie (The Wolves of Mercy Falls) over het tienermeisje Grace dat verliefd wordt op een jongen die iedere winter in een wolf verandert. Als klein meisje werd Grace (ik-figuur) gered door een wolf met goudkleurige ogen toen ze door zijn wolfsroedel in het bos achter haar huis werd aangevallen. De wolf blijft terugkomen en haar fascineren. Jaren later ontmoet ze Sam, een jongen met dezelfde goudkleurige ogen als haar wolf. Sam is die wolf. Grace en Sam worden verliefd op elkaar maar hoe moet het verder als het weer winter wordt? Om en om komen Sam en Grace aan het woord in dit goed geschreven, spannende, romantische, maar ook weemoedig verhaal dat meer diepte en overtuigingskracht heeft dan de meeste verhalen in dit genre. Stiefvater heeft een originele visie op weerwolven en de onmogelijk lijkende Romeo-en-Julia-liefde tussen Sam en Grace wordt mooi, soms bijna poëtisch beschreven. Goed ontvangen door de Amerikaanse critici, haalde de top tien van de New York Bestsellerlist. De filmrechten zijn inmiddels verkocht.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,994,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible