Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

6,285515972 (3.79)2 / 306
Member:pusher317
Title:Shiver
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:werewolves, romance, young adult

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (513)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (519)
This is maybe a 3 1/2 star book. I liked it. At times I really liked it! A few times it made me cringe due to cheesiness. Cringe and shudder. Stiefvater can be great, most of the time, but she crosses the line into ridiculous (for me) from time to time.

Still I would say any girls out there who enjoyed Twilight, you'll enjoy this series very much. And, if you were "Team Jacob", you'll LOVE this series! No creepy bloodsuckers stirring things up 'round here.

I enjoyed her twist on the wolf genre. On the whole it was well done and I'll read the next book in the trilogy: Linger. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
A big blah of nothing of a book. Nothing happens.

Goddamnit, Maggie Stiefvater, these are fucking WEREWOLVES. You can't make them boring. It's criminal. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Somewhat sappy YA romance with awkward musical interlude. I liked the werewolf premise though other parts of the story seemed less believable. I liked the dual narration and plot holes may have occurred because I was half asleep (audiobooks are for bedtime!) I did like it enough to check out the next one sooner or later... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
It was an ok book but unfortunately it reminded me more of the Twilight series than anything else. Though the new way in looking at hoe the werewolf are and how they fit into our modern world really was interesting. The struggle these two had to go through and the betrayal that they had faced. But even if it sort of showed a Twilight quality it was still better than it all the same. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
Sept. 6th, 2018: I apparently gave this 5 stars when I read it in 2009... that can't be right, but I remember nothing about the book to rate it otherwise. I might read this just to fix that. ( )
  iceiris | Feb 18, 2019 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maggie Stiefvater's book Shiver was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible