Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

5,312481828 (3.81)2 / 290
Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (478)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (484)
I have to say I really enjoyed it. I was pulling for Sam & Grace throughout the whole book. It was a sweet love story, the kind of thing girls fantasize about. I'm hoping the next book continues with Sam & Grace and I'm worried that it'll be someone else's story. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
After reading the Twilight series, many people get tired of the paranormal romance category. This book, however, it practically guaranteed to make you want to read more. The story of Grace and Sam is just as intriguing as the stories of the wolves, making this a book to read again and again... ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
It started out slow but about halfway through I just couldn't stop listening. I will say though if it hadn't ended the way it did I wouldn't even have bothered with the next. As it is I can't wait to get my hands on it. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I didn't like it. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

Normally I'm not that into YA books including vampires/werewolves etc. But I heard a lot of positive stories about this series by Maggie Stiefvater, so I thought: Lets give it a try.
It didn't disappoint me at all. I liked it. It was a easy reading, nice story. Different from what I'm used to read, but fun though. The story wasn't very complicated, I'll admit that, but it can by nice every once in a while to read a more simple book. It can be really enjoyable. Probably also a good read during the summer vacation. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Eerste deel van een trilogie (The Wolves of Mercy Falls) over het tienermeisje Grace dat verliefd wordt op een jongen die iedere winter in een wolf verandert. Als klein meisje werd Grace (ik-figuur) gered door een wolf met goudkleurige ogen toen ze door zijn wolfsroedel in het bos achter haar huis werd aangevallen. De wolf blijft terugkomen en haar fascineren. Jaren later ontmoet ze Sam, een jongen met dezelfde goudkleurige ogen als haar wolf. Sam is die wolf. Grace en Sam worden verliefd op elkaar maar hoe moet het verder als het weer winter wordt? Om en om komen Sam en Grace aan het woord in dit goed geschreven, spannende, romantische, maar ook weemoedig verhaal dat meer diepte en overtuigingskracht heeft dan de meeste verhalen in dit genre. Stiefvater heeft een originele visie op weerwolven en de onmogelijk lijkende Romeo-en-Julia-liefde tussen Sam en Grace wordt mooi, soms bijna poëtisch beschreven. Goed ontvangen door de Amerikaanse critici, haalde de top tien van de New York Bestsellerlist. De filmrechten zijn inmiddels verkocht.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,918,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible