Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

4,810441963 (3.84)1 / 271
Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Little Red Gem by D L Richardson (DLRichardsonBooks)

English (440)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (446)
I am so happy to be reviewing this book. It is one of my all time favorites! I remember the day I got it. It was the first book that I ever finished in a day. It was really the book that brought me into the Young Adult genre. I love Shiver with every bone in my body. This is one of the books I re-read all the time. This book is one that I go back to all the time, and I feel like it is perfect for all occasions.
When this book was handed to me, I was skeptical. I was kind of against the whole Young Adult genre, especially vampire and werewolf books. However this book, while there are werewolves in it, I wouldn't really call it a werewolf story. Yes, a girl falls in love with a werewolf. Still, I don't call this a "werewolf story" because the problem that Sam and Grace face is not the fact that he is a werewolf, it is the fact that he has limited time. The whole werewolf thing just adds a bit of flair and helps move the story forward while making it more entertaining. Sam almost never shifts throughout the book, and to me the whole werewolf thing is just a plot device to set the real conflict rolling.
One part of this book that I love so much is the characters. Grace and Sam are two complex, multi-sided characters who I absolutely adore. Just when you think you figure one of them out, you learn something new about them that makes them so much more interesting. I am so glad that both of them narrate this story. I love them together, and I love how things start with them right from the get-go. There is no beating around the bush with these two, but it's not really insta-love either. The conflict I found uncommon and mature. It wasn't some oh-woe-is-me, I-like-him-but-he-doesn't-like-me deal, it was basically a fight against the clock.
Maggie Stiefvater is one of my favorite writers, mostly because of this book. Her writing is absolutely beautiful and incredibly thoughtful. I got completely wrapped up in Sam and Grace and the story line as a whole. I even felt myself caring for some of the minor characters more than I normally do. This was really the first of only a few books that I cried during. I won't say anything about what happens, but if you've read it, you probably know exactly when I cried. Even when I re-read it I sometimes cry, because there is some sick foreshadowing in this book. I read somewhere that when Stiefvater wrote this book she wanted to make people cry, and boy, did she accomplish her goal.
I would suggest this book to any person thirteen and older, even if they don't usual like werewolf stories. This book is one of my absolute favorites, and I honestly think that everyone who enjoys Young Adult Fiction should read this book, or at least one of Maggie Stiefvater's many marvelous books.
Five out of Five Stars
You can find this review at http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/01/shiver-wolves-of-mercy-falls-1.h... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
'Shiver' by Maggie Stiefvater is one the most beautiful books I have ever read. I read her faerie series and knew I had to check out this one as well. It was absolutely amazing. The characters are intense, brooding, and perfectly written. Grace and Sam are beautiful as characters alone and amazing together, there hasn't been a more perfectly conflicted, or so perfectly intense couple since Romeo and Juliet, in my opinion

This book has the usual conflict and plot as any other book would, but it is compelling in a completely different way than others. This book is not a thrill ride by any means; it is more like the wait before a birthday, you get more and more into the book and more excited as you get to the end and then you get the present you always wanted. There is an ingrained intensity with the whole book, right down to Mercy Falls itself. Everything about this book is amazing. You just have to read it to understand. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Really great book :) I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,471,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible