Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

4,827448959 (3.84)1 / 273
Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (446)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (452)
I felt differently about this book, sometimes I thought I'm giving this one star, then back up to 5...now that I'm finished, I did really like it. I started another book while I was reading this one, Hush Hush, which is fast paced, and the charcters are much more appealing to me, my kind of people! But, I had to finish Shiver, because someone was on hold for it, so I went back to reading it and did not finish Hush Hush. I think that's the main reason why I wasn't feeling it at some points. Grace is an unusual character to me, I can't really place her in one category...one minute I think she's mature, and thoughtful the next I think silly and selfish...etc. I think Sam was definately more solid, and I really appreciated his point of view much more than Grace's. This book was darker, and more emotional than I expected, both Grace and Sam's life with their parents was sad...I swear if Tristan ever became a werewolf, he could bite me too. I just thought his story was awful, but he did have Beck, which that too was a little twisted, but not as bad as Grace's parents, in my opinion. The relationship between Grace and her parents again, wasn't something I could actually put into a category...do they care about her? Are they sociopaths?!? Her relationship between her friends was weird to me as well, none of the other people in her life seemed important to her, except Sam. Good thing he turned out to be human. Any way, maybe I'll get more of a feel for her in Linger. Besides Sam, the other character I really liked was Isabel. She reminds me of Aphrodite from House of Night. She's very strong, moves with change and adapts. I hope to see more of her. So overall, I am very interested in this story and looking forward to reading more. ( )
  sgcastellini | Feb 6, 2015 |
This series is what I like to call the slightly richer man's Twilight, because this well-off man likes himself complex sentence structure and a bit of German poetry. And also prefers werewolves over vampires. I didn't want to like this series, but the lusty fangirl in my soul gave me no choice.

The book centers around Grace and Sam, these completely ridiculous star-crossed lovers who have the HOTS for each other (this pun will make sense if and when you read the book). Boy is a werewolf, girl falls in love with him as her "wolf-friend," wolf turns man (and is really sexy sex), girl falls in love with sexy, complicated wolf-man, boy struggles with man/animal identity as well as general teen angst, girl has difficult relationship with parents. The usual. And they cook a lot. I don't know, but I liked it a lot and will not make excuses for it.

(Also, the author is from Virginia and the bookshop where Sam works is based on Riverby Books in Downtown Fredericksburg) ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
During my teen angst years I probably would have absolutely adored this book. That being said, I found the book enjoyable. The story is beautifully written and I liked that the narration switched between Sam and Grace throughout the book. I also enjoyed the unique spin on werewolves that Stiefvater had. I know this is a trilogy, but I don't think I'll pick up the other two. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
This was alright...this was also the second time I've tried reading it. I really fell in love with the new concept on werewolves, but I just couldn't keep from noticing how eerily similar it was to Twilight. I really liked Twilight (and I liked this book ok), but if I wanted to read the same story all over again with a few minute changes I would just pick up Twilight again. ( )
  rjc146 | Jan 23, 2015 |
I was dubious about this novel because of all the negative feedback it's received but I'm really glad that I decided to give it a try - it really did speak to me. This is the first paranormal romance that I've felt confident enough to give five stars to and it's purely because I couldn't put it down.

The prose is lyrical and deeply evocative. It had the dreamlike feel of a faerie story and was just full of truly beautiful descriptive writing. The story weaves a tragic love story around two teenagers who have (unknowlingly) admired each other from afar for six years and finally get a chance to be together when it is too late. Stiefvater's unique werewolves only get to shift so many times before they turn into ordinary wolves for the rest of their lives and Sam knows that his last change is mere months away.

The largest tragedy in this novel is not only that the two lovers know their romance must be fleeting, but because that Sam's transformation marks his loss of self. He knows that his feelings for Grace and every other part of him will be lost forever as soon as he becomes the wolf. The two protagonists are so well written that I felt for them all the more. Grace is a surprisingly strong protagonist for a paranormal romance (much better than the submissive sheep of the likes of Evermore and Hush, Hush), while Sam is a much more sensitive and poetic soul who complements her wonderfully.

My only real disappointments with this story were that the plot concerning Shelby fades away with no real conclusion (I hope this plays a bigger role in later books) and the fact that some of the secondary cast were not developed enough for my liking. This particularly applies to Olivia, as she was important at the start and end of the novel but escaped all mention in the middle. I really felt that she could have done with a little development in the middle as the ending of her story felt very abrupt.

All in all I though this story was amazing and I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jan 20, 2015 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,766,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible