HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…
Loading...

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
5,658486754 (3.81)2 / 295
Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:None

Work details

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

  1. 41
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
  2. 30
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
  3. 31
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
  4. 31
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
  5. 22
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
  6. 11
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
  7. 00
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
  8. 01
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
  9. 89
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
  10. 34
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
  11. 01
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
  12. 34
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (485)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All (490)
Showing 1-5 of 485 (next | show all)
"Ogni notte aspettavo che ti trasformassi, così avrei potuto portarti con me e proteggerti."

Incredibilmente dolce.
Credo che sia questo il primo pensiero che ho avuto all'ultima pagina del libro.

Una storia diversa dal solito young fantasy sui licantropi, una storia d'amore adolescienziale. Impulsiva, dolce, testarda, illusa ma assolutamente seducente.

Un amore fra due ragazzi, nato da uno sguardo in un lontanto momento, un momento di violenza.

Grace è solamente una bambina quando viene attaccata dai lupi, trascinata nel bosco e quasi sbranata. Ed è solamente una bambina quando incotnra per la prima volta i suoi occhi grandi, tristi, occhi gialli. Occhi di lupo.

Occhi che diventeranno, negli anni, quelli del suo lupo.

E' una storia lenta, incentrata sui momenti, sugli attimi. Ben lontana dai soliti adrenalitici fantasy con battaglie, pallottole d'argento ed uomini seducenti che si trasformano al chiaro di luna.

Qua si parla di un amore inconsapevole che cresce, con lei, che diventa quasi una dolce ossessione alla quale nessuno dei due vuole rinunciare. In nessun caso.

I licantropi vengono descritti in modo molto differente dal solito, perdono quasi interamente la loro capacità di comunicare, spesso non ricordano... Sono dei veri animali, e lo sono ogni anno sempre di più. Ma forse, a mio avviso, è questo allontamaneto dalla coscienza di quand'erano umani che li rende, molto spesso, addirittura più umani.

Il continuo contrapporsi fra le due nature, che vanno a caratterizzare i vari membri del branco in modo assolutamente singolare ed unico, ci permette di addentrarci, anche per pochi minuti, nella psiche di Beck (il capobranco), di Shelby (la lupa bianca ossessionata da Sam)... Jack.

Tutti i personaggi sono approfonditi in modo deciso ma mai invasivo, non capita mai di chiaderci: "Okay, ma i personaggi principali dove sono finiti?"
Tutti hanno il loro spazio, il loro 'perchè', e questo mi piace.

Quello che ho trovato assolutamente piacevole è stata la fine, amara, 'reale' e vera. L'inevitabile fine di un amore apparentemente impossibile... Assolutamente perfetto.

( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
A haunting, supernatural romance and the first in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |
An interesting and different take on a werewolf book.

This book is defiantly aimed towards younger readers, a young teen will find it easier connect with the characters. I quite like Maggie Stiefvaters writing it's dreamy and idealistic which I know some people don't like but I would encourage people to give this book a go and see if it's for you.

Not the best book I've ever read but it's the sort of book that you can read and enjoy but probably won't touch your heart, my advice give this book a go. ( )
  Arabbitinwonderland | Mar 30, 2017 |
i liked it, but i wasn't compelled to instantly go out and buy the next one (even though all 3 books in the series were literally at my finger tips) I will probably read the rest at a later date and reevaluate my stance on the series as a whole ( )
  KendraFitz | Feb 27, 2017 |
The beginning of Shiver pulled me into the story quick, and I wanted to see what would happen. Grace and Sam were memorable characters, with unique baggage in their past that made them very likable and interesting. Then the story developed into a teenage love story. I was disappointed, not wanting it to be another typical YA romance book, but I stayed with it.

Glad I did - the story turned around and became a more complicated weave of personalities and relationships, riddled with regret and forgiveness. The end was nicely done. Overall a decent YA novel about first love, relationships with parents, and friendship bonds. ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Jan 23, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 485 (next | show all)

» Add other authors (10 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Kate, because she cried
First words
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

(see all 3 descriptions)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maggie Stiefvater's book Shiver was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
30 avail.
507 wanted
1 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.81)
0.5 5
1 49
1.5 12
2 132
2.5 40
3 423
3.5 98
4 638
4.5 73
5 561

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible