Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

4,476None1,086 (3.86)1 / 267
Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

2009 (29) 2010 (36) ARC (21) audiobook (28) fantasy (283) fiction (193) friendship (23) high school (35) love (72) Minnesota (57) own (17) paranormal (140) paranormal romance (65) read (39) read in 2010 (28) relationships (16) romance (280) series (63) shapeshifters (20) supernatural (83) teen (70) to-read (93) urban fantasy (43) werewolves (478) winter (39) wolves (88) Wolves of Mercy Falls (29) YA (196) young adult (305) young adult fiction (48)
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Little Red Gem by D L Richardson (DLRichardsonBooks)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).

English (428)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (434)
*sigh* This book sucked me in and didn't let me go until I finished. I read it in less than 24 hours while still pretending to live my own life. Quick, easy, and exciting. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
I had a hard time forming an opinion of this book the entire time I was reading it; don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I honestly don't know what to think. I have the next two books waiting to be read so I'll get started on Linger, and hopefully it can dispel this confusion. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
See review of entire trilogy here : Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
I considered and reconsidered reading Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver whenever visiting the ya section of book type places. In the end, I wouldn't have missed much not reading it. I didn't feel anger, like a "Please give me those hours of my life back!" (I'd have spent 'em playing losing video games, probably), so much as a sigh and "Where were the authors friends to have allowed this mess?" (Considering her penchant for ink choices [Blue and green!], probably decorating the pages with unicorn stickers.)

It's kinda boring (okay, a lot boring), definitely unrealized potential (found myself rewriting it as I was reading it), at least for aspects that I had wanted to further investigate. I sure as hell didn't care about the romance. Stiefvater set up everything that one needs to know fairly early on in the book, then took forever telling anything else that matters. The problem with moody atmospherics, if you can't do anything else, is that it doesn't need to take an entire book. I already get depression. One thing that the author did very well was convey the melancholy of their lives. Yes, I get it, and then what comes after that feeling?

Grace and Sam's romance should not have been the stakes. Not when Grace was willing to lay there and die during her wolf attack. WHY? Address this, please. She had bigger fish to fry... Didn't she?

Grace accepts too much for there to be any true drive in her at all. Her relationship with her parents is sitcom glibness. This is a fact of her life (I totally get giving up when you've tried and tried to get any further). However, she also analyses her friendships with the two girls from school in those same saddest terms. If she needs safe boundaries of another person to get along, why not investigate why that is? Instead she pines (haha she stares at the forest whenever she gets the chance) for bedroom poetry ideas about "her" wolf. Get messy, Grace, scream and fight to get your point across, if you have to. If you don't take the leap some time, when are you ever going to? I mean emotionally, no actual blood necessary. Grand gestures aren't all they are cracked up to be. Rushing in to save a life isn't much if you were a non-presence the rest of the time.

The gentleness of Grace and Sam is obnoxious in light of Grace's feelings for everyone else in her life. They are in love without ever falling in love with each other. Something else had to go down other than if Sam can stay a real live boy and ever see Grace again. Where's the fight? I don't accept that years of staring and imagining what you most wanted to see is a real relationship.

Where was the flashback of him in wolf form going to the vet and getting neutered? 'Cause that totally happened to explain his lifeless safeness. Safe as in completely unchallenged, just as Grace prefers it, no matter her whining for him to "take advantage". It is still safe if she's calling all the shots. (That's pretty much the book right there. Over and over again.)

If Graceless is so bloodless, why did Sam want to stay a human to be with her? He has to miss being a wolf. He has more of a wolf personality than a human one, and a wolf family. He loves her smell, right? Well, then stick with the animal connection, then, if that is what is going to make sense. Methinks Sam just wanted a doll.

What about Grace being a wolf? She was cured, yet retains the mental picture that Sam conveyed to her through wolf-telepathy? The book claims that Sam cannot remember thinking as a wolf while thinking as a boy. Then why the living with one foot in the other world at all times feeling? MAKE A DECISION AND STICK WITH IT, PLEASE.

My problem with Stiefvater's writing is the same problem that I had with Grace. Where were the guts to make decisions? And no, telling people what your terms are is not guts, I say again. If Shiver is the same book as Twilight this is why. The telling everyone else what to do mindless stubbornness of Bella is pretty akin to Grace. Again and again this bugs me.

The induced flu plot point is like something that happened in one of the weaker early Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes. The sister Isabel and her brother was like the second book in LJ Smith's Forbidden Games trilogy. Her parents were Isobelle Carmody's Alyzon Whitestarr (especially artist mama). Not to mention The Jungle Book. The staring into the woods to escape cold homelife was Tuck Everlasting. So was meeting a secret supernatural family living therein. Why do people scream Twilight any time anyone else writes a paranormal romance, anyway? Nothing is the be all to end all of anything. So... what about da people? I feel like Stiefvater wanted to evoke Tuck Everlasting. 'Everlasting' had a point (nothing has to last forever to mean something). Shiver didn't have a point.

Anyway, the book should have been about their inability to feel human connections. Then they should have stayed wolves and made wolfy love. Make something outta what they did have. I hate settling. ( )
  marswins | Feb 17, 2014 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/> That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.” The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible