Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

4,6714371,014 (3.84)1 / 269
Member:Kellyangel77
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Little Red Gem by D L Richardson (DLRichardsonBooks)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).

English (435)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (441)
For those of you that gave this book anything above 2 stars: SHAME ON YOU!

This book was horribly written and incredibly cheesy. ( )
  bjh3038 | Aug 22, 2014 |
Loved it!!! I recommend it to everyone I run into (especially the high school students in my library). I can't keep it on the shelves! Beatifully written and totally engrossing. The Twilight for the werewolf set! ( )
  wscalfaro | Aug 6, 2014 |
"Shiver" By Maggie Stiefvater

For years and years Grace has watched the wolves who roam in the woods behind her house. She is fascinated by them but she is enchanted by one particular wolf- her wolf. She feels a connection with the yellow eyed creature, the same connection she now feels with the yellow eyed boy who bares a striking resemblance to her wolf.

Sam is torn between the two lives he is forced to live. During the cold months he is a wolf in the frozen woods, wandering with his pack but still feeling alone in his small world. Amid the summer months Sam is able to take on his human form, however he has never had the courage to speak to Grace until now...

Will their love for each other be enough to keep Sam from giving into the change that comes with the changing weather?
Or will the cold months inevitably control Sam and his pack leaving Grace heartbroken and alone?

As soon as I finished this book I started reprimanding myself. Why in the world did I take so long to read this?! I loved it from beginning to end and as soon as I finish this I'm off to start the second one.

The way that Maggie weaves this beautiful story is spectacular. The haunting way she describes the image of a wolf in the snow, the way that Sam is always watching from a distance and the protectiveness that Grace feels towards the pack that once turned on her is captivating.

Until next time,
Ginger ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Jul 27, 2014 |
After finally reading this piece, I wish that I could slap every person who told me that it was precisely like Twilight. Okay, the plot does involve wolves who shape shift into humans, but the similarities end there. Shiver is the story of girl named Grace who was attacked by wolves year before but retains no fear of them. In fact, Grace believes that there is more to them than meets the eye and she even calls the wolf with the yellow eyes her own. When Grace finally comes to meet the boy, Sam, who exists with the yellow eyed wolf, her life is changed forever and she is ushered into a world and life that she never would have dreamed about. Overall, I found the romance between Grace and Sam to be incredibly endearing and a topic of which I do not believe I will tire. While I can understand how this novel would not appeal to some, as paranormal romance novels often do not, I would urge readers to give it a shot. It is a prime example of well written paranormal novels that go beyond clichés and actually navigate a suspenseful plot.

If you would like a longer review or other reviews, check out: www.mylifeinverse.com ( )
  mylifeinverse | Jul 4, 2014 |
I read this book shortly after it came out. I am a cover junkie and I loved the cover art. What I loved even more was that the text/font inside the book was that same shimmery blue color on the cover. You'd think this would hurt your eyes but it didn't. It really helped set the "cool" tone of the book.

I love her writing style but it was rather slow and hard to get into for awhile. It was a super quick read though. I would say you would really have to be ok with a slower paced book to be able to enjoy this one. A lot of this book just seems like the daily lives of a teenage couple - other than a few "action" scenes here and there. A few times it left me feeling a bit hungry for more meat of a story but I pushed on and liked the characters.

The prose and the characters though are thought out and pulled me in . I would give this a 3.5 if I could. I definitely enjoyed the second book much more. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/> That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.” The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible