Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

5,697487747 (3.81)2 / 297
Member:Bduke
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, werewolves, fantasy, paranormal

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (486)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All (491)
Really great book :) I can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
Had to start 3 different times because it was so insipid...but then a funny thing happened about half way, I started to like it. (Perhaps this was when Isabel was introduced more fully?) by the end, I actually shed a few tears .

That said, the ending would have been so much better if (spoiler alert...) Sam had not returned as human, or if we hadn't known if he had. Perhaps some would have not liked that cliffhanger but it would have made it more realistic.

one of the few things I liked about the book, the quasi reality. So often in YA the normal things like school, parents and basic life things (sleep, food etc) are completely forgotten. They only serve as a framework until the paranormal element is introduced, then they disappear entirely. At least there was some semblance of keeping them in...except in one glaring oversight. That is, Sam's overnights at Grace's. Wtf? What parent who is not a drug addict or serious narcissistic, is so spaced out they don't notice that their only daughter has a nightly visitor, daily?! Get real.

So really two stars but for the ending which steps it up to three. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |
I loved this book! Yes I say it a lot but if it's true it's true.

The characters are compelling. The story of Grace and Sam has a poetic flow that sweeps you from page to page. I wanted to bundle Sam up and take him home with me. There are so many parts throughout the whole trilogy that are heart wrenching. With so many werewolf stories out there, it is difficult to stand out from the pack. Yes pun intended. Shiver manages to do so from the first few pages. The seasons, the love story, the loss... You have GOT to read this.

I've read the whole series several times now and something new always comes to light. Another piece falls into place or another question forms. The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy has become one of my favorites. It you enjoyed these books you might want to check out The Dire Wolves Chronicles by Alyssa Rose Ivy. It has a similar tone and texture. ( )
  nevong | Jul 5, 2017 |
"Ogni notte aspettavo che ti trasformassi, così avrei potuto portarti con me e proteggerti."

Incredibilmente dolce.
Credo che sia questo il primo pensiero che ho avuto all'ultima pagina del libro.

Una storia diversa dal solito young fantasy sui licantropi, una storia d'amore adolescienziale. Impulsiva, dolce, testarda, illusa ma assolutamente seducente.

Un amore fra due ragazzi, nato da uno sguardo in un lontanto momento, un momento di violenza.

Grace è solamente una bambina quando viene attaccata dai lupi, trascinata nel bosco e quasi sbranata. Ed è solamente una bambina quando incotnra per la prima volta i suoi occhi grandi, tristi, occhi gialli. Occhi di lupo.

Occhi che diventeranno, negli anni, quelli del suo lupo.

E' una storia lenta, incentrata sui momenti, sugli attimi. Ben lontana dai soliti adrenalitici fantasy con battaglie, pallottole d'argento ed uomini seducenti che si trasformano al chiaro di luna.

Qua si parla di un amore inconsapevole che cresce, con lei, che diventa quasi una dolce ossessione alla quale nessuno dei due vuole rinunciare. In nessun caso.

I licantropi vengono descritti in modo molto differente dal solito, perdono quasi interamente la loro capacità di comunicare, spesso non ricordano... Sono dei veri animali, e lo sono ogni anno sempre di più. Ma forse, a mio avviso, è questo allontamaneto dalla coscienza di quand'erano umani che li rende, molto spesso, addirittura più umani.

Il continuo contrapporsi fra le due nature, che vanno a caratterizzare i vari membri del branco in modo assolutamente singolare ed unico, ci permette di addentrarci, anche per pochi minuti, nella psiche di Beck (il capobranco), di Shelby (la lupa bianca ossessionata da Sam)... Jack.

Tutti i personaggi sono approfonditi in modo deciso ma mai invasivo, non capita mai di chiaderci: "Okay, ma i personaggi principali dove sono finiti?"
Tutti hanno il loro spazio, il loro 'perchè', e questo mi piace.

Quello che ho trovato assolutamente piacevole è stata la fine, amara, 'reale' e vera. L'inevitabile fine di un amore apparentemente impossibile... Assolutamente perfetto.

Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
A haunting, supernatural romance and the first in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maggie Stiefvater's book Shiver was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,013,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible