Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

5,032465897 (3.83)1 / 276
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, werewolves, fantasy, paranormal

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (458)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (464)
'Shiver' by Maggie Stiefvater is one the most beautiful books I have ever read. I read her faerie series and knew I had to check out this one as well. It was absolutely amazing. The characters are intense, brooding, and perfectly written. Grace and Sam are beautiful as characters alone and amazing together, there hasn't been a more perfectly conflicted, or so perfectly intense couple since Romeo and Juliet, in my opinion

This book has the usual conflict and plot as any other book would, but it is compelling in a completely different way than others. This book is not a thrill ride by any means; it is more like the wait before a birthday, you get more and more into the book and more excited as you get to the end and then you get the present you always wanted. There is an ingrained intensity with the whole book, right down to Mercy Falls itself. Everything about this book is amazing. You just have to read it to understand. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Started off slowly, I thought. Became exciting about 2/3 of the way through. The ending was not a cliffhanger, but definitely left me wondering what happens in the sequel. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Nov 5, 2015 |
If this book was set outside of high school with more adult characters and more adult romance I probably would have really really enjoyed it. As it stands, I enjoyed the story without engagement. I didn't feel for the characters as much as I hoped to. Some of this was the young adult audience and some of it was the narrator. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that it is the readers for young adult novels that I don't like as much. Probably because they make the characters sound like teenagers with inflection and tone. It's not a good thing when I realize how I would have heard the way a character says something different in my head if I had been reading the book rather than how the narrator made the statement sound. The way I would have read it, with the combination of words as they are, is different and I feel that it actually changes the story. When what I would read is simply a statement, what the narrator says makes it seem like a throaty purr, and it changes the scene for me. I'm babbling, but I'm beginning to pick apart young adult book narrators, and I've noticed the trend. Anyways, the story idea is interesting, and I like the fact that when the characters are wolves, that's all they are, just wolves. A refreshing idea. I picked up the series because I really liked Stiefvater's recent series, The Dream Thieves. This one doesn't compare but it's not too bad. I'll probably find the second book. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 24, 2015 |
Alright, I picked this book up because Id heard it was a complete catastrophic mess. Id heard many, many bad reviews and few good ones. I like to read a good dose of terrible writing every once in awhile, mainly because sometimes these books are my favourites.

The novel starts off with Grace describing the wolf attack where she met her canine obsession. I can easily see why she would be obsessed with an animal that rescued her from death, then returns every winter to her home to watch her. Later on in the book Sam (our canine obsession humanized) and Grace become friends, boyfriend and girlfriend and finally lovers. In between this blooming relationship's dialogues, we learn about Mercy Falls' residents, and of Jack - the one who was bitten and left to learn about his lycanthropy on his own.

I loved the relationship between Grace and her wolf-come-human. It was a sweet story about first love, and the complete trust you have in that person. A really unique point in all young woman's lives, since we only get to experience that type of love once. Stiefvater's writing did a decent job of evoking emotions from me, which was rather fascinating since most YA fiction tends to be less emotional for me because I cant connect with the characters.

Every character in Mercy Falls has major personality quirks: Grace is selfish at timees an obsessed with Sam, Sam is obsessed with Grace and cant function without her telling him what to do, Olivia is rather rude and mean to her "best friend" Grace but still loves her, and so on. I found that these personality flaws, intentional or not, made the characters more real for me because none of them are perfect.

I didn't like how eventually Sam became so dependent on Grace, and vice versa. The relationship is still new, so it wasn't a huge deal for me, just part of being in a first-love-relationship. This will pass, obviously but, it made me a little frustrated with the characters.

The poetry, song lyrics and whatnot detracted from the story. I hated them, but I understood why Stiefvater put them in and respect it. Its just not my cup of tea.
  trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
Meh. More Twilight rip-off crap. At least this simple book doesn't pretend to be anything more than what it is by using pretentious language. The romance was stale and cliche and the his/hers perspectives made it even more nauseating (image if Stephanie Meyer really had gone through with writing Edward's perspective *involuntary shudder*). This book is redeemed entirely in the fact that it's a quick, low-level, no-brains-required read - perfect for lower students and reluctant readers. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 16, 2015 |
Eerste deel van een trilogie (The Wolves of Mercy Falls) over het tienermeisje Grace dat verliefd wordt op een jongen die iedere winter in een wolf verandert. Als klein meisje werd Grace (ik-figuur) gered door een wolf met goudkleurige ogen toen ze door zijn wolfsroedel in het bos achter haar huis werd aangevallen. De wolf blijft terugkomen en haar fascineren. Jaren later ontmoet ze Sam, een jongen met dezelfde goudkleurige ogen als haar wolf. Sam is die wolf. Grace en Sam worden verliefd op elkaar maar hoe moet het verder als het weer winter wordt? Om en om komen Sam en Grace aan het woord in dit goed geschreven, spannende, romantische, maar ook weemoedig verhaal dat meer diepte en overtuigingskracht heeft dan de meeste verhalen in dit genre. Stiefvater heeft een originele visie op weerwolven en de onmogelijk lijkende Romeo-en-Julia-liefde tussen Sam en Grace wordt mooi, soms bijna poëtisch beschreven. Goed ontvangen door de Amerikaanse critici, haalde de top tien van de New York Bestsellerlist. De filmrechten zijn inmiddels verkocht.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible