Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

4,929454929 (3.83)1 / 273
Member:Bduke
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, werewolves, fantasy, paranormal

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (454)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (460)
Amazon's Best Books of the Year: 2009 (#62), ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2010), ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (2010). First in The Shiver Trilogy. Werewolves. Romance.
  CindyMcClain | Jul 20, 2015 |
This book is an antidote to the juvenile writing of Twilight. Although it's not a vampire tale, it is a werewolf tale and the writing is lyrical without being overwhelming. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Really captivating ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |
Loved this book and the whole series! This is not your typical YA Fantasy Fiction either. Shiver is an amazing story and beautifully written. I read this year's ago when it first came out and I recently rediscovered it and read it again. I think I enjoyed it even more the second time :) I wasn't rushing through it to find out what happens, I took my time & savored every word, highly recommend! Even if YA or Fantasy isn't your thing you should give it a try, it's such a beautiful story! ( )
  jenladuca | May 22, 2015 |
2.5 stars

**This review is not finished and will be edited over time**

Disappointing. I struggled with this one. For the first half the book I wanted to DNF it actually. I didn't because I already own the next several books of the series and had heard such good things about the books. Well this did not live up to the hype for me.

The characters were bland and no matter how I tried I could not get into them. Grace honestly frustrated me at times. The obsession with a wolf to finding out he is sometimes human therefore she MUST be in love with him! Phooey!

Sam is a bit better but not much. He has not memory of being human when he is a wolf yet is still obsessed with her. That is what this story seems to be about. Stange obsession. Be it over a girl, wolves, cures, etc. Everyone is obsessed with something and that something seems to be the only thing that matters to the character.

When Grace's friend stops showing up at school, she is too wrapped up in Sam to bother worrying. Just like her parents are self-obsessed. Guess she just lost the right be be angry at them in my opinion.

The only character with potential was Isobel. And she is an annoying, conceited brat most of the time!

While I liked the dual perspectives between Sam and Grace the writing was just so-so. It wasn't bad, but it didn't flow. Many chapters seemed choppy. The writing was a bit too simple for my taste. Reminded me more of something I would expect in a 4-6 grade novel.

Bottom line, I felt nothing for the situation of characters. The only thing I felt was that it seemed like I was trudging through a deep, mucky swamp to finish this. The last 100 pages does pick up but not enough to redeem the boredom I felt for the first several hours of reading. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,389,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible