Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

4,863448951 (3.84)1 / 271
Member:Bduke
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Tags:YA, werewolves, fantasy, paranormal

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance

English (444)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (450)
During my teen angst years I probably would have absolutely adored this book. That being said, I found the book enjoyable. The story is beautifully written and I liked that the narration switched between Sam and Grace throughout the book. I also enjoyed the unique spin on werewolves that Stiefvater had. I know this is a trilogy, but I don't think I'll pick up the other two. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
This was alright...this was also the second time I've tried reading it. I really fell in love with the new concept on werewolves, but I just couldn't keep from noticing how eerily similar it was to Twilight. I really liked Twilight (and I liked this book ok), but if I wanted to read the same story all over again with a few minute changes I would just pick up Twilight again. ( )
  rjc146 | Jan 23, 2015 |
I was dubious about this novel because of all the negative feedback it's received but I'm really glad that I decided to give it a try - it really did speak to me. This is the first paranormal romance that I've felt confident enough to give five stars to and it's purely because I couldn't put it down.

The prose is lyrical and deeply evocative. It had the dreamlike feel of a faerie story and was just full of truly beautiful descriptive writing. The story weaves a tragic love story around two teenagers who have (unknowlingly) admired each other from afar for six years and finally get a chance to be together when it is too late. Stiefvater's unique werewolves only get to shift so many times before they turn into ordinary wolves for the rest of their lives and Sam knows that his last change is mere months away.

The largest tragedy in this novel is not only that the two lovers know their romance must be fleeting, but because that Sam's transformation marks his loss of self. He knows that his feelings for Grace and every other part of him will be lost forever as soon as he becomes the wolf. The two protagonists are so well written that I felt for them all the more. Grace is a surprisingly strong protagonist for a paranormal romance (much better than the submissive sheep of the likes of Evermore and Hush, Hush), while Sam is a much more sensitive and poetic soul who complements her wonderfully.

My only real disappointments with this story were that the plot concerning Shelby fades away with no real conclusion (I hope this plays a bigger role in later books) and the fact that some of the secondary cast were not developed enough for my liking. This particularly applies to Olivia, as she was important at the start and end of the novel but escaped all mention in the middle. I really felt that she could have done with a little development in the middle as the ending of her story felt very abrupt.

All in all I though this story was amazing and I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jan 20, 2015 |
I've been seeing this around the young adult blogs, so figured I tried it when I saw the library had it. I liked the premise she used with her wolves storyline. Its a bit of a twist to the tradition werewolf story, which gives them more of a natural existence, for a supernatural being. Instead of changing once a month, the werewolves change when the weather gets cold enough, returning to human form when its warmer weather, but eventually changing into a wolf permanently.

Unfortunately for me, there was not enough focus on the wolf story line. The romance side of the story took over, and overpowered the supernatural side. It features one moony high school girl who falls in love with a werewolf teen guy. The story is told from both perspectives, so you get two voices internally wondering if the other likes them, how much they like them, and just plain thinking about the other all the damn time. It feels fake, and sugary and just not very enticing.

Another strike against this audiobook was that I just didn't like either of the readers at all. There was not much emotion or any impression that acting was occurring. It seemed more like they were just reading, with very little changes in tone. Plus the woman reading Grace's chapters sounded very young, and the guy reading Sam's chapters sounded much older than the woman, so my psyche was coming up with an unpleasant mental image. My dislike of the readers may have influenced my impression of the novel, but by the end it was difficult to separate the two sides.

If you want to try this one, I strongly recommend you skip the audiobook and just read it.
  sawcat | Jan 9, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

Normally I'm not that into YA books including vampires/werewolves etc. But I heard a lot of positive stories about this series by Maggie Stiefvater, so I thought: Lets give it a try.
It didn't disappoint me at all. I liked it. It was a easy reading, nice story. Different from what I'm used to read, but fun though. The story wasn't very complicated, I'll admit that, but it can by nice every once in a while to read a more simple book. It can be really enjoyable. Probably also a good read during the summer vacation. ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:27 -0400)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,132,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible