HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) by Maggie…
Loading...

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Maggie Stiefvater

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
4,954458925 (3.83)1 / 273
Member:Bduke
Title:Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)
Authors:Maggie Stiefvater
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2010), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:****
Tags:YA, werewolves, fantasy, paranormal

Work details

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (2009)

  1. 41
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
  2. 30
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
  3. 31
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
  4. 31
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
  5. 22
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
  6. 11
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
  7. 00
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
  8. 01
    Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (bethielouwho)
  9. 89
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
  10. 34
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
  11. 01
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)
  12. 34
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (455)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (461)
Showing 1-5 of 455 (next | show all)
I'm on chapter 24, and so far this is barely tolerable. I'm listening to the audibook which requires little of me, so I may as well finish. Really, this is nauseating. More interspecies pre-destined love, boy watching girl sleep, hours of "he smells so good" and "his feral odor" was so hot, I only eat bunnies, as if Twilight weren't enough. ::sigh::

Update: I couldn't finish this awful book. I can't really say anything positive about it other than it is completely appropriate for middle school girls who love Twilight; it's more of the same with none of the novelty. Completely unrealistic characters, dialogue, events, even for parts that are NON-fantasy. I'm really amazed at how different my tastes are from most of my friends, as I'm seeing glowing reviews from all of them. ? ? ?

( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Amazon's Best Books of the Year: 2009 (#62), ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2010), ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (2010). First in The Shiver Trilogy. Werewolves. Romance.
  CindyMcClain | Jul 20, 2015 |
This book is an antidote to the juvenile writing of Twilight. Although it's not a vampire tale, it is a werewolf tale and the writing is lyrical without being overwhelming. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Really captivating ( )
  smilezforbooks | Jun 6, 2015 |
Loved this book and the whole series! This is not your typical YA Fantasy Fiction either. Shiver is an amazing story and beautifully written. I read this year's ago when it first came out and I recently rediscovered it and read it again. I think I enjoyed it even more the second time :) I wasn't rushing through it to find out what happens, I took my time & savored every word, highly recommend! Even if YA or Fantasy isn't your thing you should give it a try, it's such a beautiful story! ( )
  jenladuca | May 22, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 455 (next | show all)
Eerste deel van een trilogie (The Wolves of Mercy Falls) over het tienermeisje Grace dat verliefd wordt op een jongen die iedere winter in een wolf verandert. Als klein meisje werd Grace (ik-figuur) gered door een wolf met goudkleurige ogen toen ze door zijn wolfsroedel in het bos achter haar huis werd aangevallen. De wolf blijft terugkomen en haar fascineren. Jaren later ontmoet ze Sam, een jongen met dezelfde goudkleurige ogen als haar wolf. Sam is die wolf. Grace en Sam worden verliefd op elkaar maar hoe moet het verder als het weer winter wordt? Om en om komen Sam en Grace aan het woord in dit goed geschreven, spannende, romantische, maar ook weemoedig verhaal dat meer diepte en overtuigingskracht heeft dan de meeste verhalen in dit genre. Stiefvater heeft een originele visie op weerwolven en de onmogelijk lijkende Romeo-en-Julia-liefde tussen Sam en Grace wordt mooi, soms bijna poëtisch beschreven. Goed ontvangen door de Amerikaanse critici, haalde de top tien van de New York Bestsellerlist. De filmrechten zijn inmiddels verkocht.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion
 

» Add other authors (10 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Kate, because she cried
First words
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0545123275, Paperback)

Brenna Yovanoff and Maggie Stiefvater: Author One-on-One

Brenna Yovanoff is is the author of The Replacement and has published in various journals. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Recently she sat down with Maggie Stiefvater to discuss Stiefvater's Ballad and The Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Read the resulting interview below, or turn the tables to see what happened when Maggie interviewed Brenna.

Brenna Yovanoff

Brenna: Even though we all know that characters are not authors, we also know that characters sort of are their authors (at least a little bit). Which of your characters would you say is most like you as a person?

Maggie: Well, most of my characters are delightfully single-minded, because that is what characters do. So if I were arguing a high-level thesis paper, I’d probably declare that, in fact, all of my characters are really me, just exaggerated, stripped of gray areas and less than crystal clear motivations. Even the evil ones. Maybe especially the evil ones. >br/>
That said, I’ve been told I’m quite like Isabel from the Shiver [Wolves of Mercy Falls] series and James from Ballad.

Brenna: If Cole from the Shiver trilogy and James from Ballad had to fight each other in a snark-off, who would win?

Maggie: James, I’m afraid. Cole has learned to rely far too much on his appearance to win these things and sometimes, my friends, a finely crafted chin will just not get you ahead in life.

Brenna: When your characters are romantically involved, they’re willing to fight desperately to be together, often against seemingly insurmountable odds. Like when their significant others turn into wolves and run away into the forest. Where do you stand on the topic of true love?

Maggie: I’m a fan/ believer/ proponent of true love. I think it’s worth waiting for, and I also think it’s worth fighting for once you’ve found it. I’m one of those madly in love people who just doesn’t understand why anyone would stand for anything less. I also find long-term dating confusing. I was engaged after a month and a half because, like Grace in Shiver, I am bad at shopping. I just see what I want, and then I go and get it.

Maggie Stiefvater

Brenna: Cole St. Clair’s band Narkotika is, understandably, not a real band. However, if it were a real band, what would it sound like?

Maggie: Well, I think that Narkotika, like love, is in the eye of the beholder. It’s supposed to be an edgy, hard, slightly unsettling band, and that varies depending on what you listen to. Also, it was originally an electronica band (think Blaqk Audio). These days I go through life thinking that possibly they would sound like Ringside. Or Korn. Or Carolina Liar. Or Three Days Grace. I realize that these bands sound nothing like each other. I have no good explanation for that.

Brenna: What would you say to all the woefully optimistic girls out there (i.e., me) who want to know if Cole would date them? What if they said please?

Maggie: Oh, Cole would date you. I guarantee you he would date you. If by “date,” you mean “make out with you in a dark hallway, remove some of your clothing, completely avoid giving you his contact information, disappear, and make you have a resulting existential crisis about why you date boys who treat you badly.”

The please wouldn’t be necessary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:06 -0400)

(see all 3 descriptions)

In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
29 avail.
527 wanted
6 pay11 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.83)
0.5 4
1 43
1.5 11
2 116
2.5 37
3 353
3.5 94
4 564
4.5 73
5 516

Audible.com

4 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible