Tell Me Lies by Jennifer Crusie

Tell Me Lies (edition 1999)

by Jennifer Crusie

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:Tell Me Lies
Authors:Jennifer Crusie
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Tell Me Lies by Jennifer Crusie (Author)

adult (5) adultery (9) American (5) audiobook (8) chick lit (55) comedy (9) contemporary (37) contemporary romance (40) Crusie (7) divorce (5) ebook (4) fiction (96) fluff (4) funny (6) gossip (4) humor (34) Jennifer Crusie (5) library (6) murder (11) mystery (26) novel (10) Ohio (13) own (12) paperback (5) read (23) romance (187) romantic comedy (7) small town (13) to-read (31) unread (5)

Loved it! I wasn't expecting some of the twists at all! Gotta pick up her other books! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
great ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
Typical chick-lit, but I needed something mindless right now and it certainly fit the bill. ( )
  bami210 | Jun 30, 2013 |
Though this was on my "Read" shelf, I could swear this is the first time I met C.L. and Maddie. This may be the very best of Crusie's heartbreak-and-heist type stories, with a believable plot to compliment the very wonderful characters. I particularly love that Maddie's wayward husband, while not often present, is certainly humanized and mourned. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
This was my first Jennifer Crusie read, and I was pleased with it for the most part. Maddie is a pretty average mom and wife, living in a small town where not only does everyone know your business, but they’ll tell your mother too. Having grown up in a town of 1200 people (in a good year), I can relate. Maddie was a little flightly and irrational (throwing away the evidence of your husband’s infidelity? leaving suspiciously found cash where it can be found?), but likable enough. I also liked C.L. as the reformed, torch-carrying bad boy. I was a little iffy on her daughter, Emily, and questioned whether the scenes from her point of view were really necessary or just there to force us into some emotional connection with her.

Some readers have mentioned that the police investigation(s) in this book don’t make a whole lot of sense, but I am 100% capable of suspending disbelief in a story like this — it’s not meant to be a police procedural. The one part of the book that really bothered me was her husband’s death. His murder is announced on the back of the book, but you are 60% of the way through the book (literally!) before he actually kicks it. This meant I spent several chapters asking, 'Is he dead yet?' 'Maybe he’s dead now?' only to have him show up in the next scene. I would have preferred to have that little tidbit held back, thank you very much.

Despite that, I enjoyed the story enough to read more of Crusie’s work. ( )
  miyurose | Sep 2, 2010 |

Crusie, JenniferAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bean, JoyceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One hot August Thursday afternoon, Maddie Faraday reached under the front seat of her husband's Cadillac and pulled out a pair of black lace underpants.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312966806, Mass Market Paperback)

If you think small-town life can be boring--think again. There are complex social rules: there are certain people with whom you fraternize and those you don't, and, of course, there is the all-powerful gossip. Everyone knows everything about everyone else. Don't they? That's what Maddie Farraday thinks until she finds a pair of black crotchless panties in her husband's car that don't belong to her. That's it; Maddie's had it. She's ready for change, and the first thing she's going to do is divorce her no-good, philandering husband Brent. But then everything goes haywire: Brent turns up dead, Maddie's daughter wants a dog, her best friend is suddenly acting very strange, and Maddie's secret boyhood crush, bad boy C. L. Sturgis, arrives in town after a 20-year hiatus--and he's as sexy as ever. You may laugh out loud at the wild and crazy antics in Jennifer Crusie's exceptional novel, but you'll exclaim with delight over the sizzling, dynamic, passionate affair between Maddie and her first love, C. L.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:49 -0400)

After finding a pair of black lace panties under the front seat of her husband's car and cavorting herself in the back seat of another vehicle with her old high-school flame, Maddie Faraday realizes that the truth is elusive in a small town.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible