Miss Smith and the Haunted Library by…

Miss Smith and the Haunted Library (edition 2012)

by Michael Garland

Member:alarson1
Title:Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
Authors:Michael Garland
Info:Puffin (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Halloween, Library

Miss Smith and the Haunted Library by Michael Garland

Eh, not my favorite children's library story...but not too bad. I liked how the book characters became less scary when they came out of the storybook as "ghosts," but I was unsettled by the assumption portayed in the story that the approaching senior citizen book clubbers would be unsettled by the book character "ghosts." ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Genre: Fantasy
Review: This is a good example of fantasy that begins with a realistic trip to the library and then characters from books start coming to life.
Media: Watercolor, Pencil ( )
  abarajas09 | Mar 29, 2012 |
This is a wonderful story about a teacher, Miss Smith, who takes her class on a little trip to the library to meet a special person. This special person is able to show Miss Smith's class how special reading can be, when she is bale to bring characters from different stories to life.

I thought that this story was very cute and I loved how it tied in Halloween with the importance of reading.

This would definitely be a fun book to share with my class during Halloween time and also, I would ask my class which character they would make come to life, like they do in the story, and why.
  mlunsford17 | Oct 17, 2010 |
I liked that this book created a multicultural class of students but none of the characters or teachers are of the non-dominant race. It was a little scary at first and the three year old I read it to was nervous until they started to have a halloween party with the characters. I did like that it used pastiche and at the end provided a reference guide to what stories the characters came from.

This would be a good story to use at a library halloween party for children. They can recognize the characters and then talk about the ones they are dressed up as. ( )
  lnpowers | Jun 23, 2010 |
I had to get it since I am a Mrs. Smith and a librarian. The illustrations are great...the kids seem very real but the story is not memorable. ( )
  GaylDasherSmith | Jun 16, 2010 |
"A fun filled literary adventure."
added by cvosshans | editSchool Library Journal, School Library Journal (Nov 1, 2009)

When Miss Smith reads from her magical book, the worlds she describes come alive?literally! Today Miss Smith is taking her class on a field trip to a deliciously spooky library. There the class meets librarian Virginia Creeper and settles down to listen to a few scary tales. Before long everyone?s favorite creepy characters are stalking the library and a haunted party is in full swing. So . . . who?s for taking a ride with the Headless Horseman? This richly illustrated, colorfully designed story captures the thrill of letting imagination run wild.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:27 -0400)

When Miss Smith brings her students to the public library, they not only meet Virginia Creeper, the librarian, but also a host of frightening creatures that emerge from the pages of the "Incredible Storybook" as Ms. Creeper reads her favorite tales.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,964,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible