The Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert Frost

The Poetry of Robert Frost (1968)

by Robert Frost

Deep, meaningful poems and phrases. It is all that really describes this book, as it is just poems that are written beautifully. Now, many young adults are turned away from this book, uninterested by the fact that they could instead go listen to music, or go read Harry Potter for the 12th time. But trust me, may it be unpopular, but some of you may enjoy this book more than I.The Poetry of Robert Frost, is an amazing read, but not exactly noticed.

Many poems and phrases in this book are sad, and optimistic, teaching life lessons throughout the book that inspired me to this day. Though, most children and young adults, would rather go read "amazing works" such as 50 Shades Of Gray, and Twilight. Rather, to me, these poems and phrases exceed today's media, explaining in few, powerful words about war, and life choices. Robert Frost has a specific style of writing, using animals and nature to show deep symbolism. He does this in a such a subtle way and surpasses what I believe his writing to be. Though other poets have done more of my style that I enjoy better, his writings are classics, and always bring my spirits up.

Overall, great book, though not everyone's cup of tea. The poems are beautiful in their own ways, and should be recognized more than it truly is at this point. I highly recommend this book, especially to those ho are going through a rough time, or feeling down. His optimistic, moving words will inspire you, just as they have I.
  br14kabu | Oct 7, 2013 |
Arguably America's premier poet, no poetry collection can be complete with Robert Frost's complete works. It's all here. The great, the whimsical, the daunting, the challenging, the beautiful, the sublime, and even the very few that are best described as ordinary. He is a joy to read over and over again. ( )
  EsotericMuse | Feb 19, 2011 |
One of my favorite poets. Singular and philosophical, his poems generate a feeling a oneness with nature; a simple close feeling that somehow evokes a sense of nobility. ( )
  Borg-mx5 | Apr 3, 2010 |
Frost was one of the better intellectual sandbaggers. He didnt wear his learning on his sleeve like old Pound and that sort. tho i love old Pound too. ( )
  Porius | Oct 11, 2008 |
The poetry of Robert Frost has always been fascinating, but beyond a handful of poems frequently anthologized, most of the rest of his work was a mystery. A complete collection of his work has long been on my list of books to acquire and read, and I have finally accomplished both.

It is astounding that most of the well-known Frost poems were written in the second and third decades of the 20th century. Also, his poetry seems heavily influenced by the Romantics in that he uses common language, ordinary people, and ordinary events, although, on occasion, his language is slightly elevated.

Many of his early poems are long, dialogue-filled stories that lean more to prose than poetry. I didn’t care that much for those, and I began skipping them after the first few, but his short poems on odd topics were wonderful. A good example of all this is:

VI. Waspish

On glossy wings artistically bent
He draws himself up to his full extent.
His natty wings with self-assurance perk.
His stinging quarters menacingly work.
Poor egotist, he has no way of knowing
But he’s as good as anybody going. (309)

This is one of those books I will go back to over and over. I have marked my favorites, but I am sure others will be added during later reads.

--Jim, 7/9/08 ( )
1 vote rmckeown | Jul 9, 2008 |

Robert Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lathem, Edward ConneryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The 1930 edition, Collected Poems of Robert Frost, is NOT the same as The Poetry of Robert Frost: Complete and Unabridged. I have both books and they are not the same: the 1930 book only includes A Boy's Will, North of Boston, Mountain Interval, New Hampshire, and West Running Book, and therefore is NOT complete and unabridged.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0030725356, Hardcover)

Robert Frost's poetry was always simple and direct, yet strangely deep. This is the only comprehensive volume of Frost's published verse, including the contents of all eleven of his individual books of poetry -- from A Boy's Will (1913) to In the Clearing (1962).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:55 -0400)

This volume brings together for the first time the full contents of all 11 of Frost's individual books of verse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,967,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible