Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy by…

Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy (1996)

by Frances Mayes

Series: Tuscan Memoirs (1)

4,911108932 (3.54)1 / 135
    Blood, Bones & Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Under the Tuscan Sun is a dreamier book, gentler and more idealistic than the rough-and-tumble and sometimes drug-soaked Blood, Bones & Butter, but both authors adore Italy and are lavish at showing their love on the pages.

English (103)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  All (108)
I started this book with a desire to get another view of the homeland of my father's family. I didn't really get that. Instead, it was more a musing on the author's adventure of renovating a house and finding herself at home in Italy. This is not a terrible thing but, as another reviewer noted, was not terribly revelatory. Indeed, the parts of the book that actually follow the author on trips out and around Italy were... kind of boring.

Still, it's a nice read if you are one who fantasizes about living in a big, sunny house in a beautiful locale. ( )
  kalinichta | Jun 30, 2017 |
I bought this book hoping it would be like the movie. It was not. Not even close. Ok. I thought I could deal with that and read it. I started and was immediately overtaken with the beautiful prose. Her luscious descriptions of the food and the landscape was almost enough to transport me to Tuscany. However, the more I read, the more bored I became. I normally force myself to finish what I start but in this case, I couldn't. The fact that it has no linear course, no plot to speak of, the characters are pure caricatures of Italian cliches... just to name a few of my grievances I started liking this but after page 153, I just couldn't continue it. So I put it down for a few days and then picked it up, my mind firmly set on finishing it. It was easier to read this time around. I suppose that I knew already what I was going to get so it made the journey better. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Wonderful. All I want to do now is eat and go sit in the sun! ( )
  mariacfox | Jun 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lovely writing, taking the reader right to Tuscany, wine, sunshine and love! ( )
  scotlass66 | Mar 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I quite enjoyed re-reading this wonderful book. I had recently come across a copy of Bella Tuscany, the sequel and that prompted me to request this copy. I could read about Tuscany all day, the descriptions were wonderful. ( )
  lorimarie | Mar 15, 2017 |

Mayes, Francesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quijada, EncarnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reerink, DonsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Ann Cornelisen
"What are you growing here?" The upholsterer lugs an armchair up the walkway to the house but his quick eyes are on the land.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767900383, Paperback)

In this memoir of her buying, renovating, and living in an abandoned villa in Tuscany, Frances Mayes reveals the sensual pleasure she found living in rural Italy, and the generous spirit she brought with her. She revels in the sunlight and the color, the long view of her valley, the warm homey architecture, the languor of the slow paced days, the vigor of working her garden, and the intimacy of her dealings with the locals. Cooking, gardening, tiling and painting are never chores, but skills to be learned, arts to be practiced, and above all to be enjoyed. At the same time Mayes brings a literary and intellectual mind to bear on the experience, adding depth to this account of her enticing rural idyll.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

Under the Tuscan sun is one woman's enchanting account of her love affair with Italy and the home that changes her life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Frances Mayes's book Under the Tuscan Sun is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,110,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible