Echoes in the Dark by Gayle Wilson
231459,532 (4)1

I'm not sure I have a whole lot to say about this book. I often enjoy Gayle Wilson, and I almost always enjoy amnesia. This one pairs the amnesiac heroine with a blind hero, and they were married (yeah, I also like reunion stories). Wilson has a way with the physically challenged hero as well.

The reason this book gets 5 stars is that I had to stay up half the damned night to finish it. And there was no part of the book that I wanted to skim. At times I found it confusing, but it was always confusing because she wanted me to be confused, not because she couldn't be clear.

The books starts out with the car accident that blinds Julien and kills his young, pregnant wife. Skip forward over six years of learning to walk, learning to live in the dark, and taking control of his business enterprises again, to when Julien finds out Kerri may not have died in the accident.

Caroline is brought to the their private island as a social secretary for Julien's sister, Suzanne. It is unclear for a long time whether the choice of her in particular was made by Julien, Suzanne, brother, Andre, or merely by chance. It is unclear whether the plan is just for her to be the secretary, or if there is some plan in place by one or two of the siblings to use her against Julien, or by Julien to find out if she's his wife.

Finding all this out unfolds slowly. So slowly that I was up all night. In some twisted way I appreciate that.

While this book didn't grab me by the throat emotionally and make me a tearful wreck, few do. It's far superior to most of the Intrigue line (and sexier, btw; lot's of sex).

Recommended. ( )
  susan402 | Feb 23, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible