The Day-Glo Brothers by Chris Barton

The Day-Glo Brothers

by Chris Barton

This book is about how the Switzer brothers invented florescent colors. I found this book interesting because I have not heard of how florescent colors were created before. The story goes into great detail about how the Switzer brothers created day-glo, which then began very popular during World War II. The book also talks about the hardships the brothers faced along the way. I enjoyed this book because of the bright colors on the pages. Some pages were a black page with one object a bright orange, and other pages were white with other florescent colors. The contrast of colors is very engaging, especially for young readers. I also like that the last few pages of the book have questions and answers about what fluorescence is and how it works. I would recommend using this book for upper elementary students in an informational text unit. ( )
  vrusse5 | Mar 15, 2018 |
Summary:
The Day-Glo brothers wanted different things in life, one a doctor and the other a magician. One accident caused life changing plans. They both worked on fluorescent colors and made Day-Glo colors. These colors were used everywhere in the United States. They continue to be a product used for many reasons.

Personal reaction:
I think this is a very amazing story. I think it is very influential for kids. You do not have to know what you are doing to make something out of the ordinary, Amazing.

Classroom Extension:
1. Have the students try to think of an invention.
2. Name items that use the Day-Glo brothers ideas. ( )
  l-thomas-l | Jul 23, 2017 |
In my opinion, this was a really interesting and good book for young readers. I think the characters were well developed and the illustrations really enhanced the text. The story is about brothers who invented day-glo from ultraviolet light and florescent paints. Their journey of discovery through conflict and resolution is emphasized in the characters’ words and actions. I also think the characters are relatable and engaging as their invention started from an accident and turned into something with hard work and dedication. The colors in the book connect perfectly with the information, as the text describes bright highlighter paint which is clearly illustrated. These neon illustrations keep the attention of the reader throughout the entire story. The big idea from this text is that inventions can develop from anything, as long as there is passion and hard work, you can make it happen. ( )
  gretchencompere | Apr 26, 2016 |
Not the everyday biography you expect to see, but intriguing nonetheless! The illustrations evolve from black-and-white to eye-popping day-glo color as the Switzer brothers' success with their paint invention grows. The retro feel of the cartoon illustrations is a nice touch, too. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This story tells the history of the invention of day glow paint by two brothers. Their invention occurs during the great depression and their product is used in a variety of ways - advertisements, by famous artists such as Andy Warhol, to support the war effort, and more. The story follows the brothers from childhood until their big break.
  emifoltz | Aug 13, 2015 |
The world needs more fun history books like this!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157091673X, Hardcover)

Joe and Bob Switzer were very different brothers. Bob was a studious planner who wanted to grow up to be a doctor. Joe dreamed of making his fortune in show business and loved magic tricks and problem-solving. When an accident left Bob recovering in a darkened basement, the brothers began experimenting with ultraviolet light and fluorescent paints. Together they invented a whole new kind of color, one that glows with an extra-special intensityDay-Glo. This cover reproduction is not printed withDay-Glo colors. The actual book, however, is printed using three Day-Glo colors: Saturn Yellow, Fire Orange, and Signal Green.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:34 -0400)

The story of Joe and Bob Switzer who experimented with ultraviolet lights and fluorescent paints and invented a new kind of color called Day-Glo.

Charlesbridge

An edition of this book was published by Charlesbridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,005,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible