dismiss

The Day-Glo Brothers by Chris Barton

The Day-Glo Brothers

by Chris Barton

The story of Joe and Bob Switzer who experimented with ultraviolet lights and fluorescent paints and invented a new kind of color called Day-Glo.

This book, written by Austin resident Chris Barton and illustrated by Tony Persiani, is a 2010 Sibert Honor Book, an award given to outstanding informational books for children. It's about the brothers who invented glow-in-the-dark (under ultraviolet light) and "Day-Glo" (that also glowed in daylight) paints in the 1930s. I loved the ending. There are also explanations at the book's conclusion on how regular and daylight fluorescence work.

Barton's note at the end is also interesting for his appreciation of the primary sources he used to tell this story. Persiani's illustrations add a lot to the lighthearted tone of the book. He used a computer to create black-and-white cartoon-like drawings that were digitally colorized with Day-Glo orange, yellow, and green. Endpapers are also in those Day-Glo colors. At 44 pages, I see this book as appropriate for intermediate grade (4th-6th) readers, and especially appealing to boys. ( )
1 vote rdg301library | Oct 2, 2019 |
-Appropriately illustrated for the subject matter- Retro '60s style with black and white and splashes of day-glo color.
-Smart and well-written storyline. Sentences and phrasing chosen carefully. Interesting and informative. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jul 13, 2019 |
This book is about how the Switzer brothers invented florescent colors. I found this book interesting because I have not heard of how florescent colors were created before. The story goes into great detail about how the Switzer brothers created day-glo, which then began very popular during World War II. The book also talks about the hardships the brothers faced along the way. I enjoyed this book because of the bright colors on the pages. Some pages were a black page with one object a bright orange, and other pages were white with other florescent colors. The contrast of colors is very engaging, especially for young readers. I also like that the last few pages of the book have questions and answers about what fluorescence is and how it works. I would recommend using this book for upper elementary students in an informational text unit. ( )
  vrusse5 | Mar 15, 2018 |
Summary:
The Day-Glo brothers wanted different things in life, one a doctor and the other a magician. One accident caused life changing plans. They both worked on fluorescent colors and made Day-Glo colors. These colors were used everywhere in the United States. They continue to be a product used for many reasons.

Personal reaction:
I think this is a very amazing story. I think it is very influential for kids. You do not have to know what you are doing to make something out of the ordinary, Amazing.

Classroom Extension:
1. Have the students try to think of an invention.
2. Name items that use the Day-Glo brothers ideas. ( )
  l-thomas-l | Jul 23, 2017 |
In my opinion, this was a really interesting and good book for young readers. I think the characters were well developed and the illustrations really enhanced the text. The story is about brothers who invented day-glo from ultraviolet light and florescent paints. Their journey of discovery through conflict and resolution is emphasized in the characters’ words and actions. I also think the characters are relatable and engaging as their invention started from an accident and turned into something with hard work and dedication. The colors in the book connect perfectly with the information, as the text describes bright highlighter paint which is clearly illustrated. These neon illustrations keep the attention of the reader throughout the entire story. The big idea from this text is that inventions can develop from anything, as long as there is passion and hard work, you can make it happen. ( )
  gretchencompere | Apr 26, 2016 |
The world needs more fun history books like this!

Chris Bartonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Persiani, TonyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Charlesbridge

An edition of this book was published by Charlesbridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,840,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible