The Crippled God by Steven Erikson
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover, 848 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, malazan

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson (2011)

The last book of the Fallen. Amazing.
As usual, finishing a wonderfully complex and fascinating series is sad even if it is also satisfying.

Amazing that Erikson can wrap up such a series that had so many characters, threads and motives and themes. Not everything was wrapped up, there are still questions in my mind, but it was surely enough of closure to feel satisfied and still surprised. THe series certainly didn't go where we all must have believed it would go when we started out on this journey.

And, of course, it said a lot about the human condition, our prejudices, our fears, our conceits and yes, our hopes. ( )
  majkia | Apr 16, 2016 |

thebookmagpie | Mar 13, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
After a brutal battle with the K'Chain Nah'ruk, the Bonehunters march towards Kolanse, the location of their final battle. To get there they must first cross a desert of glass, agreed by all as an impossible task. Awaiting them at journey's end: Forkrul Assail, the arbiters of humanity. Elsewhere, in the realm of Kurald Galain, is the city of Kharkanas. A mass of refugees stand on its Shore, awaiting the breach of Lightfall and the coming of the Tiste Liosian. This is a fight they cannot win in the name of an empty city and a mad queen. Yet elsewhere three Elder Gods plot to shatter the chains of Korabas, the Otataral Dragon, from her eternal prison. Her release will send a force of devastation across the realms that no mortals can withstand. And if that is not enough the gates of Starvald Demelain are about to open which will release the Elient, true dragons, across the world.

The Crippled God is the tenth and final tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Picking up exactly where book 9 left us, the story immediately takes off and the reader must hang on tight. Everything you have come to expect from a Malazan novel is here: humor, action, magic, philosophy, utterly realistic characters, elder races, gods, heartbreak, joy and more. It amazes me at how set ups from the very first novel are all tied together in this book. Many story threads are given closure. Many important questions are answered. It wouldn't be a Malazan novel if some plot points and questions didn't remain. For me I can't say they bother me at all.

Where Erikson really shines is his representation of the human condition. He is able to dig deep into the heart, mind and soul of his characters to give us an array of views on war, love, hate, pain, sorrow, joy, life, death and all those themes that are the core of what makes us human. And compassion. If there is one theme for this series it is that of compassion. While Erikson forces us to look into the mirror and see all the ugly we wish we could hide he also shows us the beauty of the soul. These are the scenes that will move you.

The Crippled God is a fitting ending to what has become my all time favorite series. I started these books in 2012 and it has been quite a journey. To say that I have enjoyed these books doesn't do them justice. Amazingly complex, overwhelmingly hearbreaking, laugh out loud funny and everything in between this series elevates what it is to be epic fantasy. Thank you Steven Erikson for such an amazing story. I look forward to rereading this series in the future. ( )
  Narilka | Aug 18, 2014 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Many years ago one man took a chance on an unknown writer and his first fantasy novel—a novel that had already gone the rounds of publishers a few times without any luck. Without him, without his faith and, in the years that followed, his unswerving commitment to this vast undertaking, there would be no 'Malazan Book of the Fallen.' It has been my great privilege to work with a single editor from start to finish, and so I humbly dedicate The Crippled God to my editor and friend, Simon Taylor.
Cotillion drew two daggers.
Ignorant historians will write of us, in the guise of knowledge. They will argue over our purpose - the things we sought to do. They will overturn every boulder, every barrow stone, seeking our motives. Looking for hints of ambition. They will compose a Book of the Fallen. And then argue over its significance. In the guise of knowledge - but truly, what will they know? Of each of us? From that distance, that cold, cold distance - you'd have to squint. You'd have to look hard .... Whatever we manage to do, it will have to be enough. We will bring this book to an end, one way or another.

Tavore Paran struggles to hold her army together in order to combat a fearsome alien force, while the gods threaten to once again unleash dragons to destroy the world.

122 wanted2 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,136,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible