The Crippled God by Steven Erikson
Authors:Steven Erikson
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: Book Club Edition, Hardcover, 848 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, malazan

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson (2011)

As endings to 10-book cycles go, this was adequate. It gets a little bogged down in introspective weirdness, and feels like it could have been about a third shorter without loosing much. Satisfying in its way, wrapping up a lot of threads while leaving several prominent ones loose. So, I guess let's just call it mixed. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
The end of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It was about 500 pages of existential whining, much like the previous book or 2, then it got serious about the action and things happened. But that first 1/2 to 2/3 of the book were just plain torture. Why does it take Erikson 5 pages of monologuing build up to accomplish something that he writes in 2 paragraphs? It was worse than Ayn Rand.

It was a great story, the action was fast, furious and violent, the characters were all intertwined fantastically, but I can't recommend this series because Erikson ruined it with his need to bash us over the head with his philosophical viewpoints. Pages upon pages upon pages of them! That being said, it did end well. I was satisfied with the ending and felt like I had closure. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The last book of the Fallen. Amazing.
As usual, finishing a wonderfully complex and fascinating series is sad even if it is also satisfying.

Amazing that Erikson can wrap up such a series that had so many characters, threads and motives and themes. Not everything was wrapped up, there are still questions in my mind, but it was surely enough of closure to feel satisfied and still surprised. THe series certainly didn't go where we all must have believed it would go when we started out on this journey.

And, of course, it said a lot about the human condition, our prejudices, our fears, our conceits and yes, our hopes. ( )
  majkia | Apr 16, 2016 |
Three million words later, it's over.

It's been seven months of my life. Mr Erikson, I salute you. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Three million words later, it's over.

It's been seven months of my life. Mr Erikson, I salute you. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Slovak Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Many years ago one man took a chance on an unknown writer and his first fantasy novel—a novel that had already gone the rounds of publishers a few times without any luck. Without him, without his faith and, in the years that followed, his unswerving commitment to this vast undertaking, there would be no 'Malazan Book of the Fallen.' It has been my great privilege to work with a single editor from start to finish, and so I humbly dedicate The Crippled God to my editor and friend, Simon Taylor.
Cotillion drew two daggers.
Ignorant historians will write of us, in the guise of knowledge. They will argue over our purpose - the things we sought to do. They will overturn every boulder, every barrow stone, seeking our motives. Looking for hints of ambition. They will compose a Book of the Fallen. And then argue over its significance. In the guise of knowledge - but truly, what will they know? Of each of us? From that distance, that cold, cold distance - you'd have to squint. You'd have to look hard .... Whatever we manage to do, it will have to be enough. We will bring this book to an end, one way or another.

The Bonehunters are marching to Kolanse and to an unknown fate. Tormented and exhausted, they are an army on the edge of mutiny. But Adjunct Tavore will not relent. If she can hold her forces together, if the fragile alliances she has forged can survive and if it is within her power, one final act remains.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,103,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible