This I Believe II: More Personal…

This I Believe II: More Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

by Jay Allison (Editor), Dan Gediman (Editor)

192461,408 (3.78)3

Another excellent collection of essays from the NPR series This I Believe, read by the authors of the essays.
  walterqchocobo | Apr 8, 2013 |
A friend let me borrow this, since she thought I'd enjoy it and now I need to read the rest of the books. I loved this book, even though many of the essays made me cry. (Or perhaps because of that...) Many of the essays are very inspirational and moving. I'm so glad NPR compiled them and I look forward to reading the rest! ( )
  KatKealy | Mar 10, 2012 |
This book is the follow-up (by 2 years) to This I Believe. It’s hard to say much about this sequal that I haven’t already mentioned in my review of the original, other than to say, “It’s a Must-Read”. The one thing it lacks, relative to the companion book is the photos of the essayists. I do, however, appreciate that in both books, there is a small biography of each author at the end of each essay, for two reasons: a) it gives one some background information about the person, and b) being after the essay, your appreciation of their thoughts are not skewed while reading what they have to say. I’m hoping that there will be yet another book from this NPR spot published soon. ( )
1 vote WholeHouseLibrary | Jun 24, 2009 |
Read this book. Read volume 1. Get some perspective. Life your life. ( )
  damcg63 | Feb 7, 2009 |

Allison, JayEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gediman, DanEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

A new collection of inspiring personal philosophies from another noteworthy group of people

This second collection of This I Believe essays gathers seventyfive essayists—ranging from famous to previously unknown—completing the thought that begins the book’s title. With contributors who run the gamut from cellist Yo-Yo Ma to ordinary folks like a diner waitress, an Iraq War veteran, a farmer, a new husband, and many others, This I Believe II, like the first New York Times bestselling collection, showcases moving and irresistible essays.

Included are Sister Helen Prejean writing about learning what she truly believes through watching her own actions, singer Jimmie Dale Gilmore writing about a hard-won wisdom based on being generous to others, and Robert Fulghum writing about dancing all the dances for as long as he can. Readers will also find wonderful and surprising essays about forgiveness, personal integrity, and honoring life and change.

Here is a welcome, stirring, and provocative communion with the minds and hearts of a diverse, new group of people—whose beliefs and the remarkably varied ways in which they choose to express them reveal the American spirit at its best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0400)

Featuring 80 Americans--from the famous to the unknown--this series of insightful observations completes the thought that the book's title introduces. Each piece compels readers to rethink not only how they arrive at their own personal beliefs but also how they share them with others.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible