Meet the Stars of Animorphs by Marie…

Meet the Stars of Animorphs

by Marie Morreale, Randi Reisfeld (Author)

I really enjoyed the learning about the actors on the series. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 7, 2017 |
Title: Meet the stars of Animorphs - An Authorized Biography (on Librarything)
Author: Marie Morreale and Randi Reisfeld
Format: paperback
Pages: 108
Year published: original 1999, my edition 1999
Language: English
ISBN number: 0439061652
Reason for reading: It's an Animorphs book :3 It was the last Animorphs book for my collection and I got it from Bookmooch recently. I have also seen episodes of the tv series when they were on Yorin (a Dutch channel that existed only for a short time), though never the first episode as I didn't know they were broadcasting it. I've only seen episodes after Ax had already joined and I don't even know which season XD I checked Wikipedia and Yorin existed from 2001 to 2005. Though the Dutch Wikipedia does not even have a page about Animorphs and doesn't mention exactly when it was broadcast. Wikipedia page about the tv series is here.

Back cover text:
No one knew who they are... until now!!

The best-selling book series is now a hit live-action TV show, produced by Scholastic Productions!! And now, you'll get the chance to find out about your favorite characters, their stories on and off the set, and even get the real deal on what it was like to train and work with the animals.
Who accidentally stuck his fingers up a tiger's nose? Who fed a hawk a chicken leg? Who was completely "terrified" auditioning in front of a television camera? Who likes a certain type of "Turkey"? And whose funniest moment on the set involved another actor "flying" (sort of)?
Get the answers to these questions and more. But remember to be careful who you share the info with. You know who is still out there....

First alinea:
The Invasion Has Begun
Once... an alien race known as the Andalites bravely battled the Yeerks, a sluglike menace, which spread from planet to planet, conquering species after species like some terrifying disease. For years, the terrible battle waged throughout the galaxy.
Now, five young Earthlings must continue the fight.

Review:
Story:
The "still" in the last sentence of the back cover text really shows that the series had not ended yet at that time! I thought it was interesting to read this book for the first time after both the book series has ended and the TV show turned out only to have run for 2 seasons (with season 2 being really short). The actors had plans for the future and some of those came true, which was nice to know.
I mostly skimmed the book-character profiles (I know what happened in the books...) but the parts about the actors were interesting to read. There also were colour photo pages in the book, which was a nice addition.
They do talk about the special effects and that they're "super awesome cool" and "only the Animorphs TV series has them". Maybe it was like that when it was first broadcast in the US (1998-2000), but when I watched the episodes on Dutch tv, I thought they could have done the Andalites better (why only show the face and only so... vague?). I wanted to see Andalites full-body and in action (or I just missed those episodes, but in the eps I saw there was only maybe one full-body shot of Ax and he was just standing there). Though I thought the morphing effects were done nicely, though again I'd liked to have seen more full-body morphing and "in the scene" and stuff, what it'd look like in real life. It did make me want to watch some episodes again just so I can compare to modern-day special effects XD (they should make a remake of the tv series).
I was surprised to learn the ages of the actors (Tobias was 21! Rachel was 16) but they were all in high school. Though I think it's done more often in high school series that they take older actors.
I also read that the series was recorded in Canada (I knew that, but I had forgotten it). I wondered why it wasn't recorded in California - even when reading the Dutch books (published up till #14) I guessed that they were located in California, which was only mentioned at the very end of the series. If I could guess it, I would think Americans would have a much easier time guessing the location... Or maybe it was cheaper to record it in Canada?
As for some "canon facts" mentioned in the book, they based those on the tv series and not from the books (they sometimes differ). But as the book is about the tv series I thought that didn't matter, I would do that too. They probably kept in mind an audience which had seen the tv series but not read the original books.

Writing style:
Very 'casual', many words that would normally only be used in actual speech or between quotation marks, not in the normal text. Very American-English words as well, I thought (as in, not British). It was what I had expected though, judging from the writing style on the back cover. And it's still Animorphs-related so I didn't mind at all XD It wasn't irritating to read for me and it's linguistically interesting too.

Rereadability:
It was most fun to read that all the actors sounded so enthusiastic about the show. It's an interesting little book (very short) even though the tv show wasn't what it could have been, I think (the books are much better). I am still of the opinion that they should make a re-make of the tv series now Scholastic is re-publishing the books as well ("updating" them from the 1990s to this time period [but as I haven't read the new editions - what did they do with mobile phones? And all the internet social networks? Nowadays everyone is using those things and then the book series would've been much shorter, I think...]).
It's a book I'd re-read when I feel like it, but it makes me want to re-read the other Animorphs books more XD
  mene | Nov 28, 2011 |

Marie Morrealeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reisfeld, RandiAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
The invasion has begun.

Find out about your favorite characters, their stories on and off the set, and even get the real deal on what it was like to train and work with the animals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,308,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible