Psychological Testing: History, Principles,…

Psychological Testing: History, Principles, and Applications

by Robert J. Gregory

Oh my.

This book was a BEAST to read. The only reason it is receiving 2, and not 1 star is that the last chapters were actually somewhat interesting, discussing the legal ramifications of testing (including a blurb about how the Texas Education Agency was sued in 2000 over the TAAS. Lucky residents of Texas now have the new and improved TAKS--note the sarcasm).

I also, despite my hatred of this book, liked the discussion of career, interest and personality tests. (All 1.5 chapters devoted to it.) Since I believe these to be the tests that I will actually find myself using as a school counselor.

I now have a research-based hardened look at all the standardized tests I have ever taken or administered. My conclusion: tests suck.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Oh my.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0205468829, Hardcover)

The fifth edition of Psychological Testing provides detailed presentations on neuropsychological and geriatric assessment, the early uses and abuses of testing, assessment of learning disabilities, testing in special settings, race differences in IQ, and cheating on national group achievement tests. The author also describes and critiques the latest versions of the most widely used tests, examine the subtleties of the testing process, and explore the value-laden issues surrounding the wisdom of testing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:30 -0400)

In addition to customary coverage of traditional topics and instruments, the author provides detailed presentations for several topics not always found in other textbooks. These topics include: history of psychological testing, early uses and abuses of intelligence, neuropsychological foundations of ability, factor analysis, assessment of learning disabilities, consumer assessment, environmental assessment, and courtroom testimony.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,808,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible