Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie

Wild Ride

by Jennifer Crusie (Author), Bob Mayer (Author)

315None35,069 (3.34)16

Featured at An Abundance of Books

I will be the first to agree that Jennifer Crusie is a formulaic writer. I don't care. I know that when I pick up her books, there will be an awkward start to a contemporary romance between characters that I like, great side characters, a dog, and lots of laughs. Wild Ride totally broke that expectation.

The demon story line is so far from Crusie and Mayer's normal subject matter that I'm left wondering why they wrote this story. I mean, yeah, demon romance is popular, but it just seems strange for them. It was also awkward and boring. I didn't get normal Crusie and Mayer until the end of the book.

The demons were kind of lame, the bad guys were lame, and for most of the book Crusie's humor was flat and Mayer's military aspect/action part was... well, it was flat too. The story wasn't very romantic, or funny, or action-y. I was really disappointed, and I'd had such high hopes after all of the long hold lists. However, I did find a clown themed amusement park to be a terrifying idea.

Verdict:
Wild Ride was a disappointing read. Crusie and Mayer's last two team ups weren't my favorites, but they were way better than this one. Get it from the library if you have a burning desire to read everything Crusie (or Mayer) has written, but I fear your destined for disappointment.

Read full review HERE ( )
  AbundanceofBooks | Jan 17, 2014 |
I have to give this four stars, just because I had such a good time while I was reading it! I have loved Jenny since her Loveswept Romance days...It is always fun to go on another ride with her. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
I was so surprised by how different this book was from their first two. Unfortunately, not different in a good way. All the great banter between characters was just not there. The characters were just flat. ( )
  akswede | Oct 14, 2013 |
ooohh-kay.

Well. This isn't a bad book. I liked it ok, (maybe even better than ok) and it had brilliant moments. If I had a way to give parts of it two stars and parts of it five, I would. I really wavered between three and four, and ended up with four because I felt that persisting to the end was rewarding.

About 20% in I said "what are Jennifer Crusie characters doing in a horror novel" and I stand by that.

Lots and lots and lots of spoilers to come. I don't think I really write reviews, I write reactions.

The first thing to know about it, that I think is important, is that it isn't the genre you think it is. It has some romance in it, but it fails a lot of the genre romance tests including some that are important to me. But it isn't much like the previous Crusie Mayer joint works either. Not so much a suspense/thriller.

If I had to put a genre on it by the "feel" of the book, I'd say it was a supernatural psycholgical horror novel. Not necessarily a bad thing per se (although it is a genre I hate) but not what I was expecting.

If you enjoyed the Dogs and Goddesses book last year with Jenny & Anne Stuart and Lani Diane Rich this may work better for you, but I liked that a lot better.

SPOILERS here on out.

The eventual resolution of the romantic stuff for Mab didn't work. As far as I can tell, she never really had any interaction with the guy (probably a good guy) that she will end up with. it was almost like a gothic with an attractive guy who is not the eventual HEA hero.

Lots of unexpected WTF moments and I have a pretty high tolerance for them.

There were a lot of things that ended up feeling like rape to me. Not forcible rape, but rape by deception - if the person you are having sex with has been possessed, that person, male or female, is being raped, and the possesser is morally guilty of rape. Yes, this emphasizes that demons are NOT NICE, but it bothered me a lot.

In particular, I felt for Mab's mother - she had been raped by a demon - and I would wish for Mab to have understood her more after discovering that.

Mab's pregnancy totally squicked me, as did her acceptance of it.

I liked the secondary (I guess it was secondary) romance - that one totally made sense, although it was mostly somewhat more simplistic characters.

So why four stars - well, the main character is totally a Jennifer Crusie person, as are some of the secondary characters, and I'll forgive a lot for that.

The plotting is actually pretty decent once I got over what the plot actually was.

And the resolution was adequately triumphant and did some things that were more right - including three female characters off on a road trip to the Statue of Liberty (you have to work your way through the book for this to make sense.) ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I really like what Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer have done as a writing team. And I liked this book. However it took me a while to get into it because it was so different than the first two collaborations. It wasn't bad different, just really, really different.

SPOILER ALERT!

This story is set in an old amusement park, that turns out to be the "jail" for demons, including the Devil. Some of the workers/owners of the park are called Guardia and they keep watch so the demons don't get out. Since the current Guardia are all getting older, the younger people in the story start getting Guardia powers. There were several twists and turns and a lot of fun scenes with demons who escaped and need to be re-captured. There are some great characters here including Mab (short for Mary Alice Brannigan) and Ethan, two of the new Guardia.

I enjoyed the book once I got over the fact that it wasn't "the same" as the first two. Not being the same can sometimes be a good thing, and in this case it was great fun! ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

Crusie, JenniferAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayer, BobAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for the amazing Calliope Jinx
Mary Alice Brannigan sat on the roof of the Dreamland carousel at twenty minutes to midnight and considered her work in the light from the lamp on her yellow miner's hat.

(Copied from Amazon.com's Product Description):

Mary Alice Brannigan doesn’t believe in the supernatural. Nor does she expect to find that Dreamland, the decaying amusement park she’s been hired to restore, is a prison for the five Untouchables, the most powerful demons in the history of the world. Plus, there’s a guy she’s falling hard for—and there’s something about him that’s not quite right.

But rocky romances and demented demons aren’t the only problems in Dreamland: Mab’s also coping with a crooked politician, a supernatural raven, a secret government agency, an inexperienced sorceress, an unsettling inheritance, and some mind-boggling revelations from her past. As her personal demons wreck her newfound relationship and real demons wreck the park, Mab faces down immortal evil and discovers what everybody who’s ever been to an amusement park knows: The end of the ride is always the wildest.

When Mary Alice Brannigan comes home to Ohio to restore the Dreamland amusement park, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a clown. Nor does she expect to find that she's the newest recruit in the Guardia, an elite team of demon fighters formed centuries before to guard the five Untouchables, the most powerful demons in the history of the world, now imprisoned right there in Dreamland.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible