Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie

Wild Ride

by Jennifer Crusie, Bob Mayer

A quick, fun read about an amusement park inhabited by demons. The owners of the park are actually the demon hunters who work together to keep the demons locked up and keep the park safe. ( )
  luvtink81 | May 31, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It wasn't hard to figure out what was going to happen, but then I don't think that was the point. The romance was a little thin - but I found that refreshingly realistic. ( )
  Perrywilson | May 24, 2014 |
Featured at An Abundance of Books

I will be the first to agree that Jennifer Crusie is a formulaic writer. I don't care. I know that when I pick up her books, there will be an awkward start to a contemporary romance between characters that I like, great side characters, a dog, and lots of laughs. Wild Ride totally broke that expectation.

The demon story line is so far from Crusie and Mayer's normal subject matter that I'm left wondering why they wrote this story. I mean, yeah, demon romance is popular, but it just seems strange for them. It was also awkward and boring. I didn't get normal Crusie and Mayer until the end of the book.

The demons were kind of lame, the bad guys were lame, and for most of the book Crusie's humor was flat and Mayer's military aspect/action part was... well, it was flat too. The story wasn't very romantic, or funny, or action-y. I was really disappointed, and I'd had such high hopes after all of the long hold lists. However, I did find a clown themed amusement park to be a terrifying idea.

Verdict:
Wild Ride was a disappointing read. Crusie and Mayer's last two team ups weren't my favorites, but they were way better than this one. Get it from the library if you have a burning desire to read everything Crusie (or Mayer) has written, but I fear your destined for disappointment.

Read full review HERE ( )
  AbundanceofBooks | Jan 17, 2014 |
I have to give this four stars, just because I had such a good time while I was reading it! I have loved Jenny since her Loveswept Romance days...It is always fun to go on another ride with her. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
I was so surprised by how different this book was from their first two. Unfortunately, not different in a good way. All the great banter between characters was just not there. The characters were just flat. ( )
  akswede | Oct 14, 2013 |

Crusie, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayer, Bobmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for the amazing Calliope Jinx
Mary Alice Brannigan sat on the roof of the Dreamland carousel at twenty minutes to midnight and considered her work in the light from the lamp on her yellow miner's hat.

(Copied from Amazon.com's Product Description):

Mary Alice Brannigan doesn’t believe in the supernatural. Nor does she expect to find that Dreamland, the decaying amusement park she’s been hired to restore, is a prison for the five Untouchables, the most powerful demons in the history of the world. Plus, there’s a guy she’s falling hard for—and there’s something about him that’s not quite right.

But rocky romances and demented demons aren’t the only problems in Dreamland: Mab’s also coping with a crooked politician, a supernatural raven, a secret government agency, an inexperienced sorceress, an unsettling inheritance, and some mind-boggling revelations from her past. As her personal demons wreck her newfound relationship and real demons wreck the park, Mab faces down immortal evil and discovers what everybody who’s ever been to an amusement park knows: The end of the ride is always the wildest.

When Mary Alice Brannigan comes home to Ohio to restore the Dreamland amusement park, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a clown. Nor does she expect to find that she's the newest recruit in the Guardia, an elite team of demon fighters formed centuries before to guard the five Untouchables, the most powerful demons in the history of the world, now imprisoned right there in Dreamland.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,987,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible