The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

The Undomestic Goddess (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Sophie Kinsella

4,913None933 (3.66)76
Member:Lolly352
Title:The Undomestic Goddess
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella (2005)

2005 (16) 2006 (15) 2007 (14) 2008 (16) audio (11) audiobook (18) British (50) chick lit (537) comedy (20) contemporary (22) contemporary fiction (21) England (52) fiction (333) funny (14) housekeeper (12) housekeepers (16) humor (119) lawyers (59) library (19) London (18) love (20) novel (20) own (20) read (85) read in 2006 (18) romance (148) sophie kinsella (36) to-read (47) unread (15) women (15)

English (129)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (139)
So funny, and so painful, because it's true.

With bands it's posh to say that this is that group is "victimized by the machine" or something along those lines, although usually this is code for saying that they talk about love, and not *death from the darkness*. It's actually, amazing, I guess, how painful it is how obviously a phrase like this applies more realistically to, say, *lawyers*.....

It's funny because it's a little stab of pain, reading about this girl.... which is why she exasperated the other girl trying to help her in like the first four pages....

Although it helps that the whole spirit of the book is that you can learn not to have a "heart of steel", as I once heard an indie guy insult a lawyer as being. "Scary, brainy power" in Kinsella's words. Unrelenting rationality, the unrelenting mind.

How it's possible not to neglect yourself on their behalf. You don't have to give yourself up to it.

..... If there's one thing that makes Kinsella's stuff less than perfect, it's that it's very worldly, I guess, if that's the right word, and that she (the girl) is always dealing with her (funny little) maladjustments-- " 'I'm an associate at Carter Spink,' I explain. 'I don't *have* my own time.'"-- which take her a long time to deal with, I guess. The way Sophie is you always know there's hope, but I guess her great skill is that she makes it a little bit more okay reading about people who would just be painful to know in real life. But then the thing is it would be so hard to find someone who isn't maladjusted, you know!

So you may as well be perky about it, even if it hurts!

[And it should also be mentioned that Sophie has the real gift for names.]

...............................

Some people might not like Samantha, might even get angry at her, and it's clear that at least for awhile she causes the same hurt in those around her that her family caused in her. But I think that it's better not to hate her, but to simply wish her well and understand what happened to her, and say that it's a shame.

.............................~

Then again, this book is the forbidden fruit. ("She's English!") After all, she's the domestic goddess....

(9/10) ( )
  fearless2012 | Mar 26, 2014 |
Cute, entertaining read ( )
  marichu77 | Feb 2, 2014 |
I really liked this book. It was a funny light read and I really enjoyed it. It is about a big-time London lawyer who makes a mistake at her firm that she can't come back from. She finds herself in the country taking a job as a housekeeper. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
I didn't like this book as much as other Kinsella works, I have to say. It's all perfectly fine, but the high-pressure lifestyle of the heroine just made me feel terribly anxious - memories of my London days, no doubt - and the way she escaped it all was utterly unrealistic and made me even more anxious.

So not really a fun read, though it's all fine and the romantic ending is nice enough. A bit average, all in all. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Nov 22, 2013 |
I HATED this book, yes, ladies and gents you have finally heard me say it. I feel bad for the goodreads followers because I kept updating them about the book progress and how much I disliked Samantha less than half way into the first chapter. I have very rarely hated characters, mostly I will put the book aside then go back to it when I am in a better mood, but this time I disliked this character from jump. The premise sounded fun, until you realised she's a coward and a liar. In everything she does.

Before the big 'mistake' there is her hint that she knows nothing about being domestic, heck she didn't even know how to work a vacuum cleaner. Let me tell you when exactly I hated Samantha, she makes a comment on page 37-38. This is where she makes the comment that it's not 'feminist' to be domestically inclined because the next door neighbour asks her why she didn't sew on the button on her shirt. Bitch?!?!?!!! Just because you're incompetent doesn't make it un~feminist to know how to cook, clean or freaking feed yourself. That's when I started to despise the character.

Let's start out with what starts the problem, she makes a mistake at her high profile corporate law position and she freaks out when she learns the bottom has fallen out and she has cost her company fifty million dollars. Now I will say that would freak me the hell out too. I might pass out, but I will not in anyway shape or form just run away, not only run away but instead of coming back to the office to work it out and fix the problem she hides from her boss, jumps on a train and runs away.

Then she goes to someones house for some help and there she gets mistaken for a housekeeper, it happens people make assumptions, which she NEVER tried to set right, especially when she realised that they weren't going to hire her at all. This is where the lying starts and it just keeps rolling on from there. Page after page of her lying to her employers; she gets help lying from the gardener whose mom helps her learn to cook. Even when the reporters showed up on her doorstep, she lied to her employers on page 315, the house is on fire but she still stands there pretending it's just warm.

She has nothing that makes her a great female character, she hides from her problems, then lies, then hides from the outfall of the 'mistake' she doesn't try to clear her name, she doesn't take responsibility and when she discovers that she wasn't responsible she doesn't take action, she goes to another person to fix the problem. YOU are the top of your class and you have no friends in high places?? Seven years in the business and you have no favours you can call in?? Your Mom is a top profile lawyer, she has all these favours she called in to get you a job and you don't think she may have some friends who would be interested in this??? How about going to the bar association? The UK version of the FTC?? There is no way I can accept that your this smart but so colossally stupid. Just no way.

Because fraud, identity theft, lying to employers, and running away from your problems are the grown up thing to do. I'll admit I had laughs reading this book, but on the whole this book was and is trash. She's supposed to be a genius and a college educated woman who becomes one of the best on the fast track to being partner and she's a f**king moron. I have four lawyers in my family who range in several different fields of law, and I can personally tell you from visiting their offices several times, there is no way in hell you would make partner if your assistant isn't top shelf, your office is spic and span and your organisational skills are on the top. No one would think you have it together if your desk is a clusterf**k every single day.

I'm well aware that need for suspended belief is what make romance novels and fiction books awesome, but there is suspended belief and then there is just sheer stupidity and this character??? Despite what the author kept saying about her 'genius' is an idiot at best. You literally needed to remove your brain for any of this to even be considered worth it.

I thought this sounds awesome she'll find herself and become someone greater but this whole 'new life' is a freaking farce and she's lying to everyone. and NO one finds out?? Who in there right mind makes it through grad school and doesn't know how to make a sandwich?? Her best friend helps cover her butt and even makes her seem (okay i take that back there isn't much my bff(s) and I wouldn't say to cover each other but really though). Trish is an idiot you hire someone and don't do a reference check?? and your letting them in your home?? I'm sorry they are all idiots, this isn't chick lit, it's a moron book that the author expects us to swallow,

Someone is looking at a brochure with your face on it and NO ONE recognises you ??? I freaking call bullshyt. You go to the place you have worked in for seven years and managed to get inside when your supposed to be banned and not one person freaking recognised you??? And these are supposed to be the best and smartest.

Man I bitched and complained about this book, but because I was so far in I didn't want to not finish it because then it would haunt me and I don't want Samantha haunting me.

I star, and if i could give it less to show how much i hated it I would. I was severally disappointed because I loved "Can you keep a secret" by the author and I expected the same thing here. I can't in good conscience say anyone should read this at all. Two whole days I won't be getting back.
1 vote AishaOak | Sep 26, 2013 |
To Linda Evans
Would you consider yourself stressed?

Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She’s made a mistake so huge, it’ll wreck any chance of a partnership.

Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she’s mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they’ve hired a lawyer–and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can’t sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the #@%# ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope–and finds love–is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.

But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:14 -0400)

Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She's made a mistake so huge, it'll wreck any chance of a partnership. Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she's mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they've hired a lawyer--and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can't sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope--and finds love--is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible