Bubble Trouble by Margaret Mahy

Bubble Trouble (1991)

by Margaret Mahy

Other authors: Polly Dunbar (Illustrator)

Molly Who Flew Away by Valeri Gorbachev (ASKier)
    ASKier: Nice compare/contrast for young listening observers.

This was a tongue twister with some odd word choices. This may be the only children's book I have read with the word "nefarious" in it. That isn't a bad thing, just unexpected. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
a little boy got stuck in a bubble! he floats around the town in his bubble and finally comes home safe
1 large book
  TUCC | Jun 26, 2017 |
Bubble Trouble is about a young girl who was blowing bubbles by her little brother and one accidently captured her brother and wafted him away. You would expect the baby to start crying in fear but he enjoyed being high up in the air inside the bubble. The little sister gets her moms attention and they try to save the baby. As they are running through the neighborhood, the baby in the bubble being chased by two screaming people captures the attention and they all help to try and save the baby. I like how the book has the community come together helping someone out in need. Sometimes you can't expect people to do that. The book was VERY tricky to read because it was filled with rhyming and it even had some tongue twisters for me. So reading it out loud to a class would be very hard but I could probably get a laugh out of my students. I think this could teach a class a lesson about helping others out in need. The illustrations are really good too. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Apr 25, 2017 |
This book shares the story of a young girl who's baby brother gets wafted away by one of her bubbles. The baby brother then floats away and bubble bobbed all over town. Along the way he catches the attention of friends, family and towns folk all running after the help save him from the bubble. Eventually almost the whole town learns to come and work together after the bubble is popped and the baby starts to fall. They catch the baby and it is happily ever after. This book makes great use of rhyming as well as the use of alliteration consistently throughout the story. The amount of words on each page is fairly small however the sentences are quit tricky. This would be more of a challenging book for some younger students to read. The story line itself is detailed and pictures are very detailed as well as interesting to look at. While reading this book I felt both intrigued and interested. I also feel the ending continued an excellent lesson for a classroom to learn. ( )
  cejones4 | Jan 26, 2017 |
Summary: This is a cute book that is about a bubble trapping a little baby, and he is Mabel's brother. The neighborhood follows the bubble trying to rescue the baby that has been trapped inside. They do not know what will happen when the baby comes out of the bubble or how to pop the bubble and let the baby out.
Personal reaction: The book itself starts out to be good, but it gets very confusing. I actually read it to my little cousin who is three years old, and dozed out of confusing. I would not recommend this book, personally.
Classroom extension idea:
1.) I would get the children to make their own bubbles with a water bottle and some dish soap.
2.) After the children make the bubbles, we would go outside and have them blow the bubbles on the playground to see how hard it is to blow bubble and how hard it is to catch bubbles, because that is how hard it was for them to catch Little Mabel's brother that was trapped inside a bubble. ( )
  GiselleNieto | Oct 27, 2016 |

Mabel blows a bubble that envelops her baby brother, gently wafting him all over the village, causing shock and excitement among the population. Chrysta and Greville Gribble, Tybal and his mother Sybil, the crabby Copples, feeble Mrs. Treeble and Canon Dapple come up with an improbable plan to catch the bubbled baby. Meanwhile, mischievous rebel Abel bursts the bubble with his slingshot and the villagers gallantly come to the rescue by catching him in a quilt. The action moves with breathless frenzy. Mahy is a master at creating verse that is as light and airy as the baby's bubble. Filled with lovely Briticisms, alliterative nonsense words, double, triple and internal rhymes, it's meant to be read aloud—"Again!"—and will lead both breathless readers and listeners to delighted giggles. The text floats across the pages in waves and arcs, and Dunbar's joyous watercolor-and–cut-paper illustrations are wonderfully expressive, a visual treat moving apace with the text. A frothy, effervescent gift. (Picture book. 4-8)

Mahy, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunbar, PollyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Harry & Elsie - natural bubblers! - M. M.
For Holly, Craig & Marbles - P. D.
Little Mabel blew a bubble and it caused a lot of trouble...

Another hilarious rhyming romp from the team who brought us the popular DOWN THE BACK OF THE CHAIR.

When little Mabel’s bubble gets away from her, it’s her baby brother who gets into trouble. Soon he’s floating out of the house, above the fence, and all over town! And it’s up to Mabel, Mother, and the rest of the townspeople to get him safely back down. Who knew that so much trouble could come from one little bubble?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:49 -0400)

Mabel blows a bubble that captures Baby and wafts him away, resulting in a wild chase that involves the whole neighborhood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,302,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible