The Blood and Thunder Adventure on Hurricane…

The Blood and Thunder Adventure on Hurricane Peak (1989)

by Margaret Mahy

2 (1) 3 (1) 5 (1) 1991 (1) adventure (7) boarding school (3) children (5) children's (12) children's fiction (2) disasters (2) education (1) elementary (1) ex-library (1) fantasy (10) fiction (11) humor (9) hurricanes (8) identity (2) illustrated (2) magic (7) New Zealand (7) novel (2) read (4) school (5) schools (3) science (3) sfbooks (1) to-read (2) weather (1) zany (2)

Sure it's a humorous book; it's got nonsense, word-play, slapstick, parody, and satire.
But it's also wise & magical, rewarding the careful reader with snippets of provocation in amidst the adventure.

Fans of [a:Daniel Pinkwater|20575|Daniel Pinkwater|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218645652p2/20575.jpg] will especially enjoy this, and when they grow up just a bit, they'll probably enjoy [a:Douglas Adams|4|Douglas Adams|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1189120061p2/4.jpg] and [a:Terry Pratchett|1654|Terry Pratchett|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1235562205p2/1654.jpg].

Love the names. For example, the wizard is Heathcliff Warlock, the scientist-inventor Belladonna Doppler, the founder of the Unexpected School is Desiree Thoroughgood.

I've marked the quotes below as spoilers, because they do come in the last quarter of the book. But only the most sensitive among you need skip them, imo:

There are no forests around here," blustered Sir Quincy....
"Oh, we all carry a forest in our heads," Heathcliff answered. "Red Riding Hood's wolf is always waiting for us if we stop to gather flowers. Chicken Licken cannot stop himself from meeting Mr. Fox."

"Can it be that besides photons and protons, neutrinos and quarks, there really are forests of echoes and snarks?" [Belladonna wondered.]

"It took sorcery to get us into the forest," Belladonna pointed out, "but it has taken science to get us out."
?" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I picked this up because I love several of Mahy's novels and at least one of her picture books.

According to the back cover: "Characters include an inventor, an adopted aunt, a boy and girl in need of education, a cat masquerading as a head prefect, and a school teacher who is a practising magician. Improbable characters and a far-fetched plot but lots of fun."

Honestly, this was too silly for my taste. It's a bit Roald Dahl-esque, but Dahl manages to balance out his silliness with cleverness better. (I think. It's a while since I've read anything by Dahl.)

Even Tango did not notice this. He was too busy concentrating on his own plans. Cats are like that. ( )
  Herenya | Mar 29, 2016 |
At the Unexpected School, you won't study science and maths. Your head prefect is a cat, and the head mistress has been missing for years. A hurricane comes around several times a day, so if you're going out, you will want your stone boots. Silliness abounds, words are mixed up and so are people. Clever and entertaining. A great read aloud. ( )
  nittnut | May 10, 2015 |
Margaret Mahy is an extremely versatile writer. This book has an out-and-out villain of the Wicked Industrialist variety, a very peculiar school carved into the stone on top of Hurricane Peak (the hurricane comes round every three hours) and much more. The whole effect is rather Roald Dahl-esque, only better. ( )
  muumi | Sep 7, 2007 |

The students of the Unexpected School on Hurricane Peak have adventure and solve a few mysteries along the way.

Relates the tangled events that lead the students of the Unexpected School on Hurricane Peak to foil the wicked Sir Quincey and his accomplices and to solve several mysteries.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible