The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (2009)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (417)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  All languages (421)
Wow. A lot of my GoodReads friends have read this and really liked it. I did not. I feel like I missed something that everyone else sees in this book. What did I miss, people?

I was slightly engaged in the plot at the very end of the book, but it took me until page 264 to even start to be interested. And perhaps I was picturing the grievers completely wrong, but rolling slugs with things that stick out of them didn't feel very threatening to me. Also, the writing was really weird and hyperbolic. Everything felt overly spelled out to me. And the fake slang! Granted, I have a extremely low tolerance for fake-y slang in books (I almost gave up on the Uglies series for the same reason), but I struggled with it. ( )
  knsievert | Nov 25, 2014 |

knsievert | Nov 25, 2014 |
I often struggle with categorizing this book. Is it a dystopian? Sci-Fi? Both? I don't know. All I know is that I like it. This book might be a quick, short read, but it is certainly sweet. This book moved quickly, not leaving any time for even the most distracted reader to be bored or lose interest, and I really enjoyed the quick action and fast pace.
I think part of the reason I liked this book so much is that I read it at the right time. I was old enough to appreciate it, and not be freaked out by the daunting maze and violent deaths, but not so old that I was nitpicky or expecting too much. I think this book is geared towards a bit of a younger teen audience, and I fell right within the target range. Maybe if I had read this book for the first time now, when I'm older, I wouldn't appreciate it as much. But, luckily, I read it at the right age, and was able to fully appreciate it.
One of the best things about this book is it's plot line. It may not be the best, most igneous plot line ever, but it IS original. To date, I cannot say that I've read anything like it, and I really appreciated the change in pace, especially when so many books are so similar. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and it kept me turning pages, something that can sometimes be difficult to do. I enjoyed the characters, and found myself rooting for all of them from start to finish, and found myself even liking some of the characters I maybe wasn't supposed to like.
This book might not be some genius literary accomplishment, but it was an enjoyable read. I remained interested throughout the whole thing, and found myself highly invested in all the character's outcomes. And while the rest of the series may have been less likable than this first book, I will always consider this book to be one of my favorites.
Four point Five out of Five stars
Want to discover more reviews like this? Find them here: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-maze-runner-maze-runner-1.ht... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
First, there was vampire romance. Now, there is survival in dystopian future. I have to admit – I like the second YA theme MUCH better than the first.

Another great read in this hot trend of post-apocalyptic literature: The Maze Runner is the first in a series (as is custom in this genre) about young Thomas, a 16-year-old-ish survivor who wakes up in an elevator with no memory of his life before that day. All he can remember is his first name. Thomas. Elevator stops. Thomas gets out. And he is in the Glade, a pastoral environment populated entirely by other 16-year-old-ish survivor boys who all have the same affliction: no memory of their lives before they too woke up in the elevator.

Turns out the Glade is surrounded by a giant maze, and every day, select survivors from this pool of 16-year-old-ish boys head out into the wilds of it to try and find an exit. They are the Runners. And though Thomas himself cannot explain it, he wants to be a Runner too. But wait. The Maze changes every night – the walls shift and new routes are established every day. And there are giant, bulbous, half-slug / half-machine killer monsters called Grievers that also roam through the Maze too. Don’t want to run into those guys. It gets nasty.

So, here Thomas finds himself plunked down into this surreal landscape with these hideous monsters and a handful of young survivors who have no idea why they are there or what is going on. They all just have one goal: find a solution to the Maze and get out. Then things take a turn for the super weird when the day after Thomas’ arrival in the Glade, the elevator brings up another young survivor. Only this time it’s a girl. The first girl that has ever arrived in the Glade as far back as any of the boys can remember. And she blurts out “everything is about to change.” Uh oh.

And off we go on our wild adventure. I have to admit I enjoyed the ride. Very unique premise – as the mysteries unfold, I found myself plowing through since the reveal of one mystery only led to more that needed solving. And the “twist” at the end was a stroke of creative genius. I enjoyed the characters, especially Thomas, Minho, Newt, and Chuck, and my heart palpitated a few times as they found themselves staring death straight in the eye. I was rooting for them.

The only critique I really have is Dashner’s attempt to inject emotion into the story. I sometimes wondered if, as he was writing, he suddenly thought to himself that he needed to make sure Thomas’ emotions were clear. So he would drop in random lines about Thomas being pissed, or scared, or sad, or what-have-you. Problem I had: these random lines of text were a bit jarring, and they distracted me from what was happening. I could understand Thomas’ emotions just fine without the added text. I also found it hard to believe that this kid vacillated so frequently and so widely in his emotional-spectrum in such short bursts of time. I don’t know how many times I read that Thomas was terrified in one paragraph and then at peace in the next even though his situation had not changed. I know there is the possibility of experiencing a host of different emotions at one time, but that seemed to happen an awful lot to Thomas. Kid is gonna need massive therapy to cope with all that shifting emotion. Forget about the Grievers and the Glade and the Maze and all that other stuff.

But that critique aside, this was an excellent piece of fiction, and I’m definitely heading straight on into Book 2 to continue the story. What happens next?? ( )
1 vote parhamj | Nov 16, 2014 |
I’m a huge fan of dystopian fantasy novels and read them whenever I get the chance. I waited a long time to rent this book from the library because of the highly anticipated movie version of the book that was coming out. I must say that despite the hype surrounding the book, was a little bit disappointed. It was a good book overall, but the plot was a little bit dry. However, the main disappointment surrounding this book was the characters. Usually, dystopian novels present their main characters in a sort of “orphaned kid has to become strong in order to escape society” manner. You find yourself rooting for the protagonist, because they have everything going against them and still prevail. Although the main character, Thomas, fit into many of these stereotypes, I couldn’t seem to identify with him. He was very hard to relate to, and almost seemed a little bit annoying. As a result, it was difficult to get into the book. It is amazing how something as simple as a single character can detract from the entire book. I would give the first book in the series a three out of five. This was actually the one I like the most. I read the second book, but couldn’t bring myself to get very far into the third. I guess I have high standards in dystopian fantasy novels. I think the main idea of this book is that humans are capable of bringing chaos to the world while still thinking they’re doing it for the right reasons. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Nov 15, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,039,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible