The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (2009)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (423)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  All languages (427)
PERSONAL RAMBLINGS- I read The Maze Runner in record time it was just so good! I had never even heard of The Maze Runner until I stumbled across the game on my phone (which is totally awesome by the way! All you fans of Temple Run 1 and 2, I highly suggest you get it!). The game includes the trailer to The Maze Runner movie that just came out, I watched it and immediately looked forward to watching the movie. But then I found out that there was a whole series, so of course I bought all the books (which were on sale at Amazon;-) So here is my review for the first book in The Maze Runner Series, The Maze Runner!

ACTUAL REVIEW-The Maze Runner grabbed my attention from page 1 and still has yet to let it go as I continue the series. I love the way James wrote this book, in 3rd person but focusing solely on Thomas so we are not jumping around from character to character. The story was greatly thought out and I loved each and everyone of the characters. Even though this book was on the tense side, my favorite character (Minho) kept the book light and I found myself laughing in some of the tensest moments because of his sarcastic comments.

QUESTIONABLE CONTENT- I was very surprised at how little the Q.C was, there was absolutely no cussing and no kissing. But there was some crass talking that some might find irritating and the Gladers have their own vocabulary that they use to "cuss" (For example "shuck-it"), and they call each other many things such as "shuck-face", "shank", "klunk-head" etc. The words in our vocabulary that are used by the Gladers, are "sucks", "crap" and a few others along these lines, but again no cuss words. The violence in The Maze Runner was mild throughout the book, but sky-rocketed towards the end. Though the violence was not overly detailed, it was enough to give you some visuals that could be somewhat disturbing depending on how well the reader pictures what he/she is reading.

OVERALL RATING- I rate The Maze Runner 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who is an avid fan of Y.A. You will not regret reading this series!

*Note: I am already over halfway finished with book 2, The Scorch Trials. And I am just giving a small warning, the violence in The Scorch Trials is A LOT more than that of which is present in The Maze Runner and I have stumbled across several cuss words and God's name has been taken in vain many times.*

You can read this review, as well as others, at http://acceleratethejesusmovemtn.wordpress.com ( )
  RayleighAnn | Dec 20, 2014 |
An interesting novel of intrigue and mystery. I can see why it's become so popular. Not something I'd ever re-read though. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 18, 2014 |
Although I do understand where some of the negative criticism for this novel has come from, I found it to be an engrossing and thoroughly enjoyable read. I even thought the made up curse words were rather cute (though appreciate that many people seem to find them annoying).

The characters were likable and I enjoyed that fact that the story put the reader in Thomas's shoes, leaving them just as confused about what was going on as he was. While the first half of the novel was quite slow moving, it never seemed to drag as it took its time to extensively explain how the Glade functioned day to day. The story rapidly gained pace in the second half and quickly became difficult to put down.

There are only a couple of issues that I had with the story. Firstly, I grew a little frustrated towards the characters that kept important information from Thomas with no good reason (answering his questions by telling him he didn't need to know). Secondly, I didn't feel as though Teresa had much chance to shine. While her intelligence and strength of character is revealed, she did not really contribute much in the climax of the story. I hope that she has a far larger role to play in The Scorch Trials.

All in all, it's a brilliant start to the series and I can't wait to get my hands on the next instalment! ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Dec 16, 2014 |
Thomas is the latest arrival to The Glades, a community of teenage boys slap bang in the middle of a great big maze. With no memory of their former lives the boys are expected to run their homestead, farm, tend to the animals, feed themselves while also trying to solve the riddle of the maze. All newcomers undergo a period of induction to see which of the many jobs they are best suited for but all Thomas wants is to be a Runner. One of those that go out into the maze and search for a way out. Just after Thomas' arrival an unusual event happens, another newbie. Usually they only turn up once a month but what's even more shocking is that this time it's a girl. She's almost dead and holding a note saying she will be the last. What does this mean for the Gladers and how will it shake things up?

After a bright opening that asked a lot of questions (many of which are not answered in this volume) this book proved to be a slog to get through the next couple of hundred pages. Not one likeable character appeared especially with the main character having a superiority complex. Thomas is also the only one who wants to question everything with all the others seeming to just accept their situation and carry on with their lot as given to them. It's not until later in the book that things pick up and the story moves to its inevitable conclusion. That was another problem that this book had as for me there were no surprises. Every major plot point was signposted beforehand and it was really only a matter of who survived the ending. It wasn't an awful book, just not a very good one and because I bought the trilogy in a pack I will probably at some point continue with the next in the series with hope that it will get better. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Dec 12, 2014 |
This is a chapter book that draws you in right from the beginning and keeps you hooked. Issues that are dealt with include loyalty, trust, perseverance, etc. Though this book is the beginning of a series, I believe it can stand alone if subsequent books are unavailable. Students can also be encouraged to read the rest of the series on their own. Because of some heavier, more graphic content I would only share with 7-8 grade.
  sbutler9 | Dec 3, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,445,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible