The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (2009)

by James Dashner

Series: The Maze Runner (1)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (430)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  All languages (434)
I really loved this book. I think the storyline is very original and creative. I was entertained from beginning to end and I really liked trying to solve the puzzles and maze patterns before the characters did. I would never survive in the maze, but I certainly like to think I could have solved the maze pattern faster than those boys did! Great book for young adventurous readers.
  lucindafair | Jan 27, 2015 |
Moving along at a break-neck pace this book would be great for reluctant readers who enjoy action, adventure and mystery.

That said, there is not a lot of character building and the author constantly withholds information from Thomas and the reader in order to keep up the mystery pretense, which can be quite frustrating at times. I was also surprised that there was almost no growth in any of the characters including the protagonist, which is odd for a young adult novel.

I was also surprised that none of the boys shared information with each other after the Changing, which I felt was a bit implausible.

"The Maze Runner" is a light enjoyable read that will entertain you as long as you're not looking for deeper substance. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
I wasn't sure about it at first I hated the lingo but the more I read the move I began to fall in love charters. I love the twist and turn I'm on the second book and so far it's just as good ( )
  lululovebaby | Jan 21, 2015 |
Thomas, who remembers nothing about himself other than his name, finds himself to arrive in the small community of Glade. Glade is a square chunk of land surrounded by the Maze. Every Glader is a boy who, like Thomas, knows nothing about themselves other than their names. Every Glader has a job, and the most important job in Glade is being a Runner. Runners go into the Maze looking for a way out because for years teenaged guys have been stuck in Glade. The next day after Thomas's arrival a girl arrives in Glade unconscious with a note in her hand that says "She's the last one." This starts a lot of confusion in glade and everyone blames Thomas because he was the second to last one. Eventually Thomas becomes the head of the Runners and he and the Gladers find a way out of Glade.
Personally the book was not my favorite. There weren't too many likeable characters and some parts of the story were confusing for me. I felt like some parts were draged on for too long and there were a few unnessasary parts. I would suggest this book to people who like action and sort of sci-ffi genres. This book was a quick read and in my opinion was OK. ( )
  AnatoliaR.B1 | Jan 12, 2015 |
Rather disappointing. This had tons of potential, but was terribly flat in execution. The characters were one dimensional, I formed no attachment to either the characters or the plot. I fell asleep during the last 20 pages. I have no interest in picking up the sequels. I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing this will be one where the movie is better than the book. ( )
1 vote Lucifey | Jan 10, 2015 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,174,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible