The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy…

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy (Hardback)) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by James Dashner

7,849593426 (3.82)1 / 323
Member:booksrock94
Title:The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy (Hardback))
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    The Last Girl by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy) by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)

English (585)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (593)
This book is about a boy named Thomas and they are trying to escape a maze. Their is a deadly virus outside the maze but they are immune to it. So the people at wicked are testing them trying to cure the disease. So they put them in maze without their memory. They have to face many challenges to get out of the maze. They have to get to know the maze and they have to watch out for the grievers. They have to risk their life to get out of the maze.

I really liked this book because it had a lot of action. It also never had a dull moment. So if you like fast paced books then read this. The people that like action will like this book believe me. It always keeping you on the edge of your seat. I gave it 4 stars because it was a really good book. You will like it I promise. ( )
  Perata | Jun 1, 2017 |
So there's a movie. Based on a book. And the trailer looked intriguing. So I read the book. Decidedly weird. The first half was one of the slowest frenetic jumbles I've read in a while. Slow in a way that a director can probably condense to 10 minutes tops. Frenetic in that lots of stuff happens, but nothing really...that slow part. Cute gimmick on the author's part...parceling out inchorent tidbits. And bizarre slang...never something I like...but after a while one gets inured.

This is fodder for a 20 minute movie that can be stretched with lots of CGI. But it was engaging enough to get to the "Are you kidding me?" ending. Haven't decided if the cliffhanger warrants reading the next. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I believe this is now my fourth young adult/teen dystopian novel. Some novels strive to give you details through flashbacks and such, others for you to discover. I prefer the former, but Maze Runner is feeling more like the latter. As I read, I fought the urge to compare this to the Hunger Games, Divergent, and 5th Wave.

A lot of the first half of the book is set up. Kinda expected, but lengthy for my taste. Action was limited, even though the tension was ratcheting.

It annoyed me that I made it more than half way through the book and they've detailed how ONE replacement word got selected. Klunk is another word for Poo, which is better than the actual word it could be. But they use Shank, Shuck, and a few others interchangeably and don't really explain why. They just do. And MC Thomas uses them almost from the beginning too. He's never really taught their swears.

Knew the twist was coming. When they find the Griever Hole, that's like showing a gun in the first act. It has to factor into the plot somehow. Though to be honest, the more the book goes on, the more Thomas bugs me, the more the "Above Average" kids seem rather dumb. I suspect Chuck really was Thomas's little brother. That would explain a few things.

Somehow, I expected the ending. Decent overall book, though not something I'd rate top of the pile. Not sure I am ready for book 2 just yet... ( )
  gilroy | May 16, 2017 |
Genre: Science Fiction
Summary: In this book a boy named Thomas wakes up in a strange maze with only males living at the center of it. Then one day a girl shows up with a note saying she is the last one. Scary grievers lived inside the maze, so the boys didn't try very hard to get out. Until one day, the grievers came into where the boys (and 1 girl) lived. At this point, the group all had to find their way out of the maze. Thomas leads the group and they eventually make it out, only to realize that they aren't yet safe. This is science fiction because grievers are made up, and the world is not falling apart with a deadly disease. It was a story about a dystopia set in a very science ridden world.
Use in classroom: I think this book would be too scary to read outloud, but would be a good book to recommend to boys in the classroom.
Age appropriateness: Intermediate ( )
  mdalbeck15 | Apr 9, 2017 |
This is one of those books that sits in the young adult in dystopian world genre. In this book, we have a bunch of teenage boys, being sent to the maze, with no memories of their adult life. They don't know why they are there, or what they might have done to deserve this.

In some ways, it is typical, in others, not so much. I found it interesting the society that this group makes, with law and order. In a book like this, I would have expected the author to go with a less coherent group, more tribal.

The story itself is interesting, but it is way too long for what it tells. There is too much focus on the day to day, with action only happening in the last few chapters. There is also not enough explanation - the book ends on a cliff hanger.

Without giving spoilers, the reason for the maze is convoluted - and too wasteful. I can't imaging a society short on resources being willing to have the best and smartest teens killed. The other thing that baffles me is the solution to the maze... even if the meaning of it isn't apparent, the kids should have found the key fairly quickly into their imprisonment.

The writing is spare, characters while a bit above stereotypes - still fairly cardboard. The ending seemed too easy and does not actually explain anything. However, its a fast read and is exactly what it seems to be - a Young Adult Dystopian Novel. ( )
1 vote TheDivineOomba | Mar 19, 2017 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,255,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible