The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:taleofnight
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (440)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (443)
Just as good the second time through! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Well, I had been in a reading slump. I finally found a book/series that can drag me out of it. I had actually started reading this book because I received a later book in the series, The Death Cure, through ARCycling and figured I should really read the rest of the series before I read and reviewed that one. So here I am.

The book opens with Thomas, one of the main characters, waking up inside “the box” and having no idea who he is or where he is or where he came from. When the box opens, he is dumped into a glen of teenage boys. Life as he knows it (well, actually, he doesn’t because his memory has been wiped out) is about to change very, very drastically.

Anyone ever read the short story in high school, something about a group of people dumped in a jungle and turns out they are being hunted because the property owner got bored with the other big game out there? I cannot remember what it was called, but in a sense, this kind of reminded me of that. You learn pretty early on that this is some part of a very strange experiment.

I felt myself being manipulated right along with the characters, and I was only able to anticipate what was coming next mere sentences before it happened in the book.

I liked that this was so different from a lot of the other YA literature out there right now. I think part of why I ended up in a slump is I have read so much of the same thing.

This was actually one of my first (I think, but please feel free to correct me if something else I have reviewed is considered in the same category) dystopian novels I have read and I am completely and totally hooked. Something about a group of teenagers having to fight for survival and the fate of the world hinging on what happens, something about that just drew me in like no other has been able to thus far. In short, The Maze Runner was just what I needed to escape the reading doldrums that I find myself in.

Excellent story and a must read.[a:James Dashner|348878|James Dashner|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1204922790p2/348878.jpg][b:Maze Runner|14547545|Maze Runner|James Dashner|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1355054094s/14547545.jpg|6366642] ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Not bad, but not great. Definitely a plot driven novel that is geared toward young adults. The concept is fascinating, but the characters are very one dimensional in this first book of the series. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
Author James Dashner creates a sub-language all its own for teens trapped in the Glade, and it’s totally convincing, easy to follow, and a very cool adjunct to the description of a very strange life. Readers share Thomas’s sense of confusion right from the start, and are pulled straight into his thoughts and fears. As the Greenbean (newest member) learns his way around, the Glade becomes scarily real, but change is coming. And change is always scarier than following the status quo.

The Maze Runner offers a taste of isolation, rebellion, change and mystery, with dangerous threats, monsters all the more scary for being so scarcely described, and the battle for control, of self, others, or destiny, rising to the fore. The story’s complete by the end of the book, but more is most urgently promised and it’s hard not to insist on picking up the next book straight away.

I don’t know what the movie will be like, but I can imagine they’ll do a good job. The Maze Runner is the sort of book that creates just enough to imagine it all without boring readers in the telling; highly recommended.

Disclosure: I kept reading bits of it in stores, so I asked for it for Christmas and I’m glad I did. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 18, 2015 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,761,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible