The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (481)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (486)
Review Posted on Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2014/07/29/the-maze-runner-by-james-dashner/

The premise of this book is quite intriguing. A boy wakes up, no memories of who is, where he came from much less where he is now. Perplexed by the nature of memory loss that allows him to remember mundane details, but not important things, he has to just go on, and figure out a way to live in the bizarre world he has found himself a part of. Sounds cool. Then you learn a bit about the world he lives in, and it sounds promising. But then you read, and nothing just ever seems quite as exciting as you think it should.

So what is this world like that he wakes up in? It seems to consist of pretty much just teenage boys. They have broken themselves into group to perform all the tasks that need to be done to keep their society running. Oh, and everyone here suffers from the same type of memory loss he has. They wake up one day in what they call The Glades, and its like their life starts fresh from that moment.

I also expected to be more taken by The Maze or the monsters (Grievers) that roam it, but honestly, I just wasn’t. Once again, the concepts are great, but somehow the maze never seemed as ominous or mysterious as I expected. I anticipated high suspense when grievers showed up, but I think I was detached enough from the story, that I just never really cared.

Also, the characters in this book are all supposed to be quite intelligent. I have a hard time with books where characters are supposed to be intelligent, but just come across as clueless lemmings that go with the norm. Whatever. This review is so hard to write because I cared so little about the characters, and eventually the story, that I just want to be done and quit thinking about it. The book is not horrible, but I did feel like my time could have been much better spent reading or listening to something different.

And finally, this is one book where I suspect I will enjoy the movie more, because surely they will give a little more personality to these characters than I got during my read. I don’t feel this competes with Hunger Games, which it’s often compared to. If you want another dystopian read, I say go try Red Rising by Pierce Brown instead.

Side note: This is the second “memory loss” book I have read in the past couple of months, and given my rating of the first was about the same, it may be a while before I give that particular plot line a chance again. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Oct 6, 2015 |
A boy named Thomas finds himself called the Glade with no memory of where he came from in a place . The Glade is home to a community of only teenage boys. He finds out that each month the "creators" send supplies and a new boy to the Glade whom they call "Greenie". While finding a suitable job he befriends a young boy named Chuck. After a while of getting used to the Glade, Thomas makes the discovery of the maze's horrible creatures the Gladers call, Griefers. He discovered this after one of the Gladers were stung by one, which led to a disease that was ,at the moment, incurable. Soon after, Thomas finds that same boy yelling at him that he was the cause of all this. Apparently, this is the doing of the disease caused by the sting. So, to make sure this doesn't happen again, the Gladers decide to banish that boy into the maze. After awhile, Thomas still needs to find his job at the Glade when he comes upon the job of a runner, which is a person who explores the maze. One evening, Thomas finds himself trapped outside the maze with Minho, and an unconscious Alby who was stung by the dangerous griefers who wander the maze. After surviving the night, he is given the job as head runner. Soon after, a girl named Teresa is found in the box with a note saying she is the last one. Teresa appears to be familiar to Thomas in some strange way. She is soon sent into a coma. After awhile it is found that the maze is in danger. The sky was grey and dark, and the wall wouldn't close. Their only hope was to find a way out. After searching, a way out is found, but they must take a huge risk to escape the maze. Half of the Gladers are left dead while the rest escape into the lab of the creators! Sadly, Thomas' best friend, Chuck, is killed in the lab. They then find out that the rest of the world is dying, and they are a group of orphans that were being tested. It is up to them to find a cure for the dying world.

To me, the maze runner was an amazing book! I think that way because it was very exciting and unique.it also keep me in suspense at the end of each chapter.I've ever read. I hope that the next two books are just as amazing. ( )
  TessW.b1 | Sep 8, 2015 |
What a wonderful book! The characters are interesting and believable, it is easy to be swept up in the excitement and urgency of the various problems that Thomas, and the other characters are facing I cannot wait to read the next books in the series! ( )
  BridgettKathryn | Sep 6, 2015 |
I finally got around to reading Maze Runner and I have to say it took me several chapters to warm up to the story. However, once I started getting into it, I couldn’t put the book down. The story is about a group of young men who are mysteriously trapped in the Glades and are forced to adapt to their new environment. To make matters worse, they don’t remember anything about their past except their first names. Add to that the fact that they haven’t found the solution to escape their maze-like prison that are viciously guarded by Grievers. One day a girl was sent to the Glades, something that never happened before, and then chaos ensues. Usually when I’m reading a book or watching a movie I can predict what’s going to happen next (which sometimes irks my daughter). This is why I enjoyed reading this book, (albeit it’s a bit creepy and a tad violent for my taste) it kept me guessing until the last page. I give this 4 stars. I’m curious to see how the film measures up. I’m still debating whether to read the next books in this series though, we”ll see… ( )
  VavaViolet | Sep 1, 2015 |
It was good and I liked reading it but Thomas was almost too perfect. It was like he was the only one who was intelligent in the whole thing. I almost sympathized with the other Gladers for getting ticked with Thomas all the time. He was kind of a know it all. However, his frustration and strong emotion, especially horror with everything, made it easier to connect to him. And damn it all if I didn't love Chuck. He was just sweet and lovable, like a puppy dog. The book kept me reading though so I'll definitely look at the next one. Hoping Thomas's head will deflate somewhat during it. ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)
James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.
The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)
With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,776,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible