The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (edition 2010)

by James Dashner

4,135None1,209 (3.91)234
Member:taleofnight
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

2012 (22) action (23) adventure (92) amnesia (71) ARC (28) boys (29) dystopia (232) dystopian (106) ebook (33) experiments (29) fantasy (79) fiction (194) friendship (26) labyrinths (50) mazes (74) mystery (41) post-apocalyptic (84) puzzles (29) read (22) read in 2012 (22) science fiction (302) series (81) survival (117) suspense (34) teen (55) thriller (34) to-read (143) YA (167) young adult (230) young adult fiction (31)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)

English (332)  German (1)  All languages (333)
No love, no hate, but a solid LIKE.

I was quite happy with this book. I was eagerly anticipating its release for months and I think I chose well. For me, there are a lot of Young Adult books out there that seem hastily written or that seem like the author is not confident in the direction of the plot. This is not one of those books. I felt Dashner was in control of the plot and his characters the entire time and that this story was well thought out. I liked that I was figuring out the secrets of the Glade right along with the main characters. One warning to squeamish readers: this book is not for the faint of heart. Death is a major topic in this story and is not treated in a "fade to black" manner but rather tackled head on.

The only drawback to this book for me was the writing got quite dense at points. For instance, some may find it hard to get into initially because the Glade and the Glader's are described several times over. I understand that the extra description may have been an attempt to pace the story or to give the reader a strong sense of place, but for me it just took me out of the story and gave me a hard time with the first 50 or so pages. After that though the repetitious description falls to a minimum and the meat of the story starts to kick in.

The characters might be a bit underdeveloped, but not tragically so. There is enough mystery and suspense in the plot to make up for a lack of development in other places.
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
For fans of the Hunger Games, Divergent and the Uglies. I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept my attention. I was disappointed about the ending, it was in conclusive and pretty much lead right into the next book. I plan to read the next book and I think it will make a great movie. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Apr 8, 2014 |
Ok, can we just stop what we're doing? Because this book deserves it!! OMG And it came out 4 years ago! I can't believe that I found out about this 2 weeks ago.. I just can't!
So the properly way to start this is saying that it is a Saga, called ''The maze runner saga'' duh?
And it has 4 book (so far) I just want moree!

1- The Maze runner
2- The Scorch trial
3- The death cure
4- The kill order

And guess what? I read the first 3 in only a week! yep yep
I'm dying to get to read the 4th one but unfortunately it hasn't come to my school's library yet.. so i will have to wait!
is an exciting book and very difficult to put down.
I love how I wanted to stop reading at the beginning but then i didn't want to put it down!

I REALLY RECOMMEND THIS.
Bye ( )
  NathaliePolanco | Apr 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book a lot. Once I started I couldn't put it down. The book is very suspenseful. In the parts with the grievers it is especially fast paced. The ending is also good. I liked the twist on how they were actually "rescued" by the people who work for WICKED. I am looking forward tor reading the next book in this series. ( )
  blueguy08 | Apr 6, 2014 |
While reading this book, there were spots where I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know what happened next and there were other spots were I really couldn't care less what happened to the boys (and girl) in the Glade. In the end, I think I just really didn't like this book. The premise was interesting, which is what attracted me, but the character development left something to be desired and the bizarre addition of words that didn't mean anything annoyed me as did the fact that the reason behind their inclusion was never explained. The whole book felt forced to me. I do not plan on reading any of the other books in this series.

SPOILERS
It also irritated me that the Creators thought that the boys had done a wonderful job when, in reality, they had spent two years failing miserably and only got out of the Maze because the kid they sent in their with special memories helped them. It was unrealistic. If they hadn't sent Thomas in to the Maze, those kids would have died there. ( )
  eheinlen | Apr 4, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible