The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:taleofnight
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (364)  German (1)  All languages (365)
i really enjoyed this book.... for me it was kind of similar to the hunger games at some extend but the story really caught me and i liked it, i actually already read the second part and it still kept me interested... i would recommend it ( )
  angie.arciba | Aug 9, 2014 |
I'm still reading this book and i do like it. it just was really hard to get into at first but now i can't stop so hopefully it will end good. ( )
  tiffanyL22 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Interesting story with enough action to keep it moving. However, it is VERY predictable. I guarantee that you will figure out the major plot points well before they are revealed.

As some other reviewers have mentioned, the fact that so many supposed uber-geniouses were unable to figure out simple problems/puzzles is a major flaw in the story.

Still, worth reading if only for the originality. ( )
  levasssp | Aug 6, 2014 |
The Maze Runner is a read in an entire day sort of book. It’s fast paced and never lets up. The continual questions kept me glued to the pages. What is going on here? My imagination ran wild with the possibilities and I was afraid that in the end I’d be disappointed, but surprisingly I wasn’t. The conclusion actually made sense and didn’t seem contrived just to explain the author’s cool concept.

I would have liked more character development, so that I could get to know the characters better and care about what happens to them more. (Though this is the sort of book I don’t dare get attached to anyone going in.) I understand that it must have been hard for the writer to show characterization when none of the characters has a past. Yep, that’s right none of the characters can remember anything before the maze.

Thomas wakes up in an elevator box with no memory other than his name. He’s greeted by other teenage boys in an area called the glade. The glade is surrounded by a massive maze that the boys are trying to solve to escape. Surprisingly for a group of kids they’ve established an organized society where everything works. I can’t really say anything more about the premise without spoiling things. The whole point of the book is to keep reading to figure out the why behind the maze.

The Maze Runner is a quick book. There are no slow spots with flowery descriptions here. Other than height, age, and shoe size all we know about the main character’s appearance is he has brown hair. I like a bit more than that, but that’s not the sort of book this is. Maze Runner’s also light on romance, which is odd for a young adult book, but it worked. There wasn’t time for romance. (Though there is more romance in the Scorch Trials.)

The Maze Runner is almost an eight star book, but fell just short of great for me. I can’t explain without minor spoilers and I know how some people are with spoilers of any kind. I have no problem with characters dying, but I didn’t like the way a certain character died. It didn’t feel necessary and it was too brutal for me. (Though it was tame compared to a death in the Death Cure. I just know I’m going to have nightmares about that.)

The rest of the trilogy- (Spoiler free) I haven’t been so disappointed in an author in a long time. These books had such potential! Most of the story is good, but the Scorch Trials and The Death Cure had some serious flaws. (In my opinion) They were too gruesome, (scary doesn’t have to be gross) there was too much pointless action, (it got a bit much after a while) certain parts made no sense, (and I didn’t like them) and the main character kept acting stupid. (After the Maze Runner I expected more out of him, he is supposed to be a genius after all.)

So my recommendation is you should read the Maze Runner, it’s a good, unique book, but skip the the Scorch Trials and The Death Cure. (Though I doubt I’d be able to follow my own advice. I just have a need to find out what happens.)

The Maze Runner: 7/10 Stars

The Scorch Trials: 5/10 Stars

The Death Cure: 4/10 Stars

~Molly Mortensen ( )
  mollymortensen | Aug 5, 2014 |
Review Posted on Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2014/07/29/the-maze-runner-by-james-dashner/

The premise of this book is quite intriguing. A boy wakes up, no memories of who is, where he came from much less where he is now. Perplexed by the nature of memory loss that allows him to remember mundane details, but not important things, he has to just go on, and figure out a way to live in the bizarre world he has found himself a part of. Sounds cool. Then you learn a bit about the world he lives in, and it sounds promising. But then you read, and nothing just ever seems quite as exciting as you think it should.

So what is this world like that he wakes up in? It seems to consist of pretty much just teenage boys. They have broken themselves into group to perform all the tasks that need to be done to keep their society running. Oh, and everyone here suffers from the same type of memory loss he has. They wake up one day in what they call The Glades, and its like their life starts fresh from that moment.

I also expected to be more taken by The Maze or the monsters (Grievers) that roam it, but honestly, I just wasn’t. Once again, the concepts are great, but somehow the maze never seemed as ominous or mysterious as I expected. I anticipated high suspense when grievers showed up, but I think I was detached enough from the story, that I just never really cared.

Also, the characters in this book are all supposed to be quite intelligent. I have a hard time with books where characters are supposed to be intelligent, but just come across as clueless lemmings that go with the norm. Whatever. This review is so hard to write because I cared so little about the characters, and eventually the story, that I just want to be done and quit thinking about it. The book is not horrible, but I did feel like my time could have been much better spent reading or listening to something different.

And finally, this is one book where I suspect I will enjoy the movie more, because surely they will give a little more personality to these characters than I got during my read. I don’t feel this competes with Hunger Games, which it’s often compared to. If you want another dystopian read, I say go try Red Rising by Pierce Brown instead.

Side note: This is the second “memory loss” book I have read in the past couple of months, and given my rating of the first was about the same, it may be a while before I give that particular plot line a chance again. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Aug 4, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,101,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible