The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (edition 2010)

by James Dashner

4,143None1,209 (3.91)234
Member:CarlBenson6
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

2012 (22) action (23) adventure (92) amnesia (71) ARC (28) boys (29) dystopia (232) dystopian (106) ebook (33) experiments (29) fantasy (79) fiction (194) friendship (26) labyrinths (50) mazes (74) mystery (41) post-apocalyptic (84) puzzles (29) read (22) read in 2012 (22) science fiction (302) series (81) survival (117) suspense (34) teen (55) thriller (34) to-read (143) YA (167) young adult (230) young adult fiction (31)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)

English (335)  German (1)  All languages (336)
I enjoyed this book immensely! It kept me guessing, it was very hard to put down and I am excited to read the next one! It's nice to read a YA that doesn't read like it was necessarily written for kids. ( )
  snoble23 | Apr 15, 2014 |
Most of the time I don't read the second book in a series. I especially hate cliffhangers without any resolution. The Maze Runner is a cliff hanger but it also has enough resolution to make the reader feel satisfied, much like The Hunger Games.

The story is intriguing, suspenseful, and fast-paced. The characters are likable and genuine. I like the fact that the boys do not degenerate into a Lord of the Flies subculture but still have their flaws.

I'm already looking for the next book in the series. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |
The Maze Runner by James Dashner is a book that takes place in the future in an attempt for an Ethopian community. The protagonist, Thomas, is brought to the Glade with his memory wiped clean and he and fifty other teenage boys call themselves the Gladers. Most notably, they are trapped in the Glade because of an always changing maze and evil mechanical animals that are called the Grievers that never allow their victims to stay alive. Thankfully, the Doors to the Glade close every night stopping the Grievers from killing all of the boys in go. Shortly into the book, a girl is brought into the Glade and all the boys are excited because she comes with the message that she is the "last one". Thomas is brand new to the Glade and he learns that everyone in the Glade has been trying to understand the maze for a couple of years. Thomas makes one close friend who goes by the name of Chuck who is always at Thomas's side. The Maze interests Thomas and he yearns to become a Runner which is a person who travels through the Maze to try and find an end. After Thomas saves one of the leaders of the Glade from a Griever he is assigned his dream job of a Runner and in the first couple days, he finds something he calls the Griever hole in which the Grievers come out of every night and go back inside every dawn. After that things go a little crazy and the one girl starts to telepathically speaking to Thomas and he becomes close to her. Shortly after, Teresa (the girl) wakes up and then "the end" starts in which the Doors do not close leaving the Gladers completely vulnerable to the Grievers and they require one tribute each night. Things are looking really bad for the Gladers right about now and to find out if they even make it out of the Glade alive, you should read this book and find out!
  TomasJefferson | Apr 10, 2014 |
No love, no hate, but a solid LIKE.

I was quite happy with this book. I was eagerly anticipating its release for months and I think I chose well. For me, there are a lot of Young Adult books out there that seem hastily written or that seem like the author is not confident in the direction of the plot. This is not one of those books. I felt Dashner was in control of the plot and his characters the entire time and that this story was well thought out. I liked that I was figuring out the secrets of the Glade right along with the main characters. One warning to squeamish readers: this book is not for the faint of heart. Death is a major topic in this story and is not treated in a "fade to black" manner but rather tackled head on.

The only drawback to this book for me was the writing got quite dense at points. For instance, some may find it hard to get into initially because the Glade and the Glader's are described several times over. I understand that the extra description may have been an attempt to pace the story or to give the reader a strong sense of place, but for me it just took me out of the story and gave me a hard time with the first 50 or so pages. After that though the repetitious description falls to a minimum and the meat of the story starts to kick in.

The characters might be a bit underdeveloped, but not tragically so. There is enough mystery and suspense in the plot to make up for a lack of development in other places.
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
For fans of the Hunger Games, Divergent and the Uglies. I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept my attention. I was disappointed about the ending, it was in conclusive and pretty much lead right into the next book. I plan to read the next book and I think it will make a great movie. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Apr 8, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible