The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:CarlBenson6
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (382)  German (1)  All languages (383)
I got a bit bored with this book. The author likes to tell you every little thought in the protagonists head, and it gets a bit cumbersome. You are discovering the world with him, and at the times he gets frustrated you also get equally frustrated, if not more. I don't really know why he wrote the first half of the book the way he did. The protagonist will ask a question and get no answers, only to ask it to somebody else and get a part of the answer, and so on. But withholding the information or slowly dragging it out made no difference to the story. The other hard part is the author wants to tell you so much but rarely show you anything. Instead of using interactions, dialogue, environment, and so on to portray an emotion, he just tells you the emotion.

The book gets better in the second half. There are a lot of things the characters have to uncover or puzzle out, which is interesting but it is written in a way that you can figure out how to solve things or where events are going to go before the characters do. I can see this book being a better movie, but I am unsure if I will continue the series. ( )
  renbedell | Sep 15, 2014 |
So I've been wanting to read this book for a long time now, and when I heard that Dylan O'brien was going to be starting in the film version, I knew I had found the motivation to read it that I've been looking for. (I'm kinda in love with the dork haha).

The book starts of with Thomas arriving, without his memory or any clue as to how or why he is there. We learn pretty early on that for 2 years, everything has gone pretty smoothly and like clockwork, apart from being forced to run through a maze to find escape of course. Anyway like I said, everything has run like clockwork for 2 years. Once a month they get a new person arrive, once a week they get supplies at the same time every week. They don't ask questions anymore as their job is survival and finding a way out. That is until another new person arrives the day after Thomas, that would be strange enough if it wasn't for the fact that person is a girl. Since Thomas arrives he has the uneasy feeling like his been there before, but with nothing to back it up he puts it down to nothing other than deja vu, only as time goes on some of the other boys start saying they know him, that he has something to do with The Creators. Why should he believe them though? they are just delusional kids who have gone through the changing, something that happens after being stung by a griever right? only the girl who arrived on spoke one word before slipping into a coma, his name.

It's plain to see early on that Thomas has a bigger part to play than he knows, and while he is still trying to earn his stripes around the community its getting harder and harder to ignore. Faced with a massive maze that's constantly changing, life is pretty hard and when it seems like time is running out, desperation levels reach an all time high.

My thoughts?
Like I said, this is a book I have been waiting a long time to read. And at first it didn't disappoint. I loved the characters, Thomas as a whole was a good character, a bit whiny for my liking but I guess if I woke up somewhere and didn't know how the hell I got there or who I was before I would be the same. Some of the sub character were also really interesting. My favourite out of the lot would have to have been Chuck and Minho. Chuck was a very shy boy of around 12 or 13 who was the first to befriend Thomas, he didn't have many friends and was the newbie until Thomas arrived, he didn't always make an impact in the book but was loyal from start to finish. Minho on the other hand was a Runner (the people who search the maze each day), something Thomas decided from day one he would be. And even though he never said much he was yet again someone who was loyal from the second he met Thomas, and I liked that. Teresa (the only girl) was on the other hand one character I couldn't get on with, but having only read the first book so far I'm trying to reserve my judgement. All in all the character in general were ok and I'd like to get to know them a bit more.

One thing I will say I didn't like about the book was the swearing. Now they weren't swearing really, they had made up words to represent them, but said at least one of them in almost ever sentence and I just found it very pointless. It was as if it was James Dashners way of making it kid friendly without completely taking the words away, if that makes any sense at all?. It reminded me a lot of The Hunger Games too, and at times was hard to fallow. But for the start of the series I suppose it could have been worse. :) ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Thomas awakens in an elevator but has no memory of where he came from or where he's going. When the elevator doors open he finds himself in a place called the Glade, an enclosed area surrounded by massive walls and inhabited by a group of boys called Gladers, each of whom arrived there over the past few years just like Thomas, with no memory.

Beyond the doors leading out of the Glade are miles and miles of maze. Each morning the Gladers send out runners to explore the maze and try to find a way out. For two years they have explored the ever changing maze without finding an escape and they're time is running out. ( )
  Meggle | Sep 13, 2014 |
I read this book over the summer, sitting on a houseboat in Raystown Lake. Surrounded by nothing but trees and water. It was beautiful, I was in the middle of nowhere but by my own will Thomas was not. Placed in a maze not knowing his name to anything about himself. Until the only girl in the history of the glade shows up and says "Thomas" looking right at him. Now they know they need to get out and solve the maze. ( )
  sarahgraceweber | Sep 12, 2014 |
I wish I could give 1/2 stars because this was definitely a 31/2 star book. This is another YA book that I was really reluctant to read. I tried it once over a year ago and didn't get past the first few pages. The dialogue with words like "shank" and klunk" really turned me off. But with the movie coming out soon I decided to take another stab at it. Once you get past the hokey dialog, I actually found myself drawn into the story. It was suspenseful and definitely left me wanting more. I'll be adding it to me YA shelves. ( )
  asomers | Sep 11, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible