The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:CarlBenson6
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (465)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (468)
I didn't finish this one... and I don't even want to. I likely should give this book a second chance - but I'm unlikely to do so for a long time. I just couldn't get into the story - it seemed a little Hunger Games-ish, except with all the characters missing their memories. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jul 3, 2015 |
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews

I picked up The Maze Runner because I was preparing myself for the movie that's coming out this same year.I can't believe I hadn't read it sooner!

This is a dystopian that anyone could enjoy. There's secrets, conspiracies and betrayal around every turn.

Since I can't seem to produce coherent words to express how I feel, I've decided to use GIF's as a way to review this book. After all, an image is worth a thousand words...

First off, the characters were all so complex. I never met a single character who wasn't important in this story. Thomas was the protagonist, and he was so likable! But, he was also an unreliable character. (One of my favorite types of characters!). He didn't remember anyone or anything from his past, and yet being in the Maze reminded him of something, something bad.

The "villains" in this story were mostly unseen, yet feared all the same. I couldn't help but feel despair and angst as much as the other boys did. It kind of felt like the villain was "Big Brother" from 1984. Unseen but terrifying!

I also loved the fact that this book also introduced a paranormal aspect. That aspect definitely helped this story grow.

The book also has a slow start, but once the "good things" start hapenning, you won't be able to put down the book.

Reading Process:

Rating: 4 stars.
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

I couldn't stand one thing, though and that was the made up swear words! It was so annoying! I mean, if you're going to swear just do it. Don't make up words for it. It makes me feel childish.

Rating: 4 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
I'll admit...this book had me going and going and going. I really wanted to know what the ending would give me. I had all these theories in my head as to what was actually going on and where it could lead to...and then I reach the ending and I just felt...meh. It's an okay book if you like young adult thrillers, but pick up something like The Hunger Games if better writing is more your type. Like a lot of other reviewers said, much of the plot of the book revolved around people withholding information...much of which could have made this a much shorter novella. The characters were flat and uninteresting, and I was more amused than anything when anything of importance happened to them...like dying, for example.

After watching the trailer for the movie, I think this one time, the movie might be better than the book. Guess I'll wait till it's on tv to find out. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Interesting premise -- reminds me of William Sleator's House of Stairs. It also seems as though it can be the first book in a series. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,936,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible