The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

6,919562523 (3.82)1 / 311
Member:CarlBenson6
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (554)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (562)
Mind blown! This was a thinking woman/man's kinda book. It constantly kept me thinking, wondering, trying to work out what was going on. I only had a good idea about what was happening once throughout the entire story.

This was really good. It kept me interested the whole way through the book. I was cheering and jeering for characters and getting completely wrapped up in the story. I think this is one of the best plots I've read in a long time. Maybe because this isn't my usual type of story, but it captured me. I am very much looking forward to starting the next book in the series and am seriously happy with myself for buying the whole series at once!

Also, Dylan O'Brien is gonna kick so much ass as Thomas! Looking forward to the movie even though I know there's a high probability that they will ruin it. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
(Sigue leyendo para encontrar la reseña en español)

This must be one of the very first books where I loved the book, but disliked the main character. He does become more bearable towards the end of the book, but I found him very annoying at first. He’s not a bad person and I can see why he dislikes the people there because very few make him feel welcome when he arrives at the village, but I didn’t like the way that he so quickly discards other people’s experiences and knowledge of the village and the maze.

I wish that we knew more about the secondary characters, as I found them much more interesting than Thomas. The story is told from his point of view and it only covers a few days, but I think that characters such as Minho and Newt and underrated, as they’ve survived running in the maze for about two years. They must have interesting backstories that I hope will be explored in the rest of the series.

I loved the mystery and the questions and the intrigue and it’s a book that I found very difficult to put down and not peek at the end. Not all of the questions are answered at the end, but it’s not a bad thing because it left me very curious the rest of the trilogy. I don’t know if I’ll be disappointed at the end, but this book was an amazing start of a story. However, one thing that I didn’t like was how convenient some situations turned out to be. There are people in that village who have been studying clues for two years and Thomas arrives and solves it all in a couple of days.

--------------------------------------------------​

Éste es uno de los primeros libros que me gustó mucho aunque no me gustara nada el personaje principal. No es tan inaguantable hacia el final y entiendo por qué no le gusta mucho la gente del pueblo porque no le hacen sentir bienvenido cuando llega, pero no me gustó el modo en que pasa completamente de la experiencia y el conocimiento que tienen otros del pueblo y del laberinto.

Me gustaría haber sabido más cosas de los personajes secundarios porque me parecieron mucho más interesantes que Thomas. La historia está escrita desde su punto de vista y sólo cubre unos pocos días, pero creo que personajes como Minho y Newt están infravalorados, ya que sobrevivieron corriendo en el laberinto unos dos años. Tienen que tener historias interesantes que espero que descubramos en el resto de la serie.

Me encantó el misterio y las preguntas y la intriga y es un libro que me costó dejar de leer y no mirar el final antes de llegar a él. No se descubre todo al final, pero no es malo porque me dejó con mucha curiosidad de saber qué pasa en el resto de la trilogía. No se si me decepcionará el final, pero es un principio increíble para una historia. Sin embargo, hay algo que no me gustó tanto y es cómo de convenientes son algunas cosas. Hay gente en ese pueblo que lleva estudiando pistas a lo largo de dos años y Thomas llega y lo soluciona casi todo en un par de días. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
#1 Maze Runner
Audio narrated by Mark Deakins

Fairly good premise for a dystopian YA novel. A group of teenage boys in a dangerous world full of creatures called Grievers that kill anyone who is caught outside of the boys' home base ("The Glade") after the immense walls close up at night. Each kid is given a different job in the Glade (gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc.) or end up being a "runner"--kids who spend their days running through a huge maze outside the walls of their compound looking for an escape route. There are no adults present, but order is kept by a council of older boys and a strict code that everyone must follow. This is no [book:Lord of the Flies|1167532], although their punishments can be very harsh (banishment).

They regularly receive supplies shipped to them from an unknown entity which they call their "Creator". The shipments may contain clothing, food, medicine, etc. Sometimes they also contain a new teenager, one who is frightened, confused, and who has no memory of where they came from, who they are, or why they have been sent there. After the last two teens, Thomas and Teresa--the only girl--arrive, they learn quickly that their time is running out. They have to defeat the Grievers (and their Creator) and find a way out.

This is geared for kids 12 and up. One issue I have with this story is that they have tweaked their vocabulary to some extent, usually just replacing curse words with milder terms. The kids don't ever really swear, but they are constantly calling each other "klunkhead" or "shuck-face" or saying, "I don't give a klunk". They are basically speaking Smurf. It was distracting. I'd rather they just talk like normal teenagers--some will swear, some won't. It seemed like the author was trying not to be offensive for younger readers but I thought it had the opposite effect. The replacement words were used so often it made me think of the real versions much more than if they just would have said them.

Although this book isn't perfect, I enjoyed the story and would have loved it when I was in middle- and high school. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Jun 9, 2016 |
Eh, mixed feelings. Some really neat ideas, but some really clumsy writing. Imo. I won't read the next. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The Maze Runner is about this kid named Thomas wakes up in a elevator rising. When the elevator gets to the top he looks out and he sees they are in a maze. They are trying to excape the maze so they can have a free life. So the two people go out into the maze to fin d the way out. Once they find a way out they go back to the camp and show everybody where the exit is. The maze changes every time. At night time there is spiders that kill people. Thomas kills one and finds a divice that can get then out. So everybody follows him. Some people die because there are too many spiders and some people live. The people that lived went outside and there was a helicopter waiting for them. They go to the helicopter and they go to a safe place.

I gave it a four out of five stars because I like how it starts of him going up on and elevator. Also it has a lot of action. Another thing is that is has a lot of people then only a few people survive. I like how the spider has a divice hidden in it. Aonther one is that if you stop at a page you want to know what happens next.Last thing that I liked is that the maze changes every night. One thing I didn't like is that the people that go in the maze has to get out before night. Last thing is that when Thomas comes to the maze they find a way out. ( )
  AnhtonyL.B3 | Jun 2, 2016 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,879,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible