Maze Runner by James Dashner
Member:sgrame
Title:Maze Runner
Authors:James Dashner
Info:
Tags:teen fiction, science fiction, survival, dystopia, cooperation

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    The Last Girl by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy) by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)

English (584)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (592)
This is one of those books that sits in the young adult in dystopian world genre. In this book, we have a bunch of teenage boys, being sent to the maze, with no memories of their adult life. They don't know why they are their, or what they might have done to deserve this.

In some ways, it typical, in others, not so much. I found it interesting the society this group makes, with law and order. In a book like this, I would have expected the author to go with a less coherent group, more tribal.

The story itself is interesting, but its way to long for what it tells. There is too much focus on the day to day, with action only happening in the last few chapters. There is also not enough explanation - the book ends on a cliff hanger.

Without giving spoilers, the reason for the maze is convoluted - and too wasteful. I can't imaging a society short on resources being willing to have the best and smartest teens killed. The other thing that baffles me is the solution to the maze... even if the meaning of isn't apparent, the kids should have found the key fairly quickly into their imprisonment.

The writing is spare, characters while a bit above stereotypes - still fairly cardboard. The ending seemed too easy and does not actually explain anything. However, its a fast read and is exactly what it seems to be - a Young Adult Dystopian Novel. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 19, 2017 |
(5/10) I really wanted to like this book, I persevered in the hope it would improve and there would be some reward or revelation for me that would make me desperate to read the next book (because I have the whole trilogy in my possession). Alas it would appear I waited in vain as I am no more knowledgeable now than I was going in.

The key thing that really annoyed me about this book was the total lack of explanation throughout. The characters seemed to spend all their time withholding information from each other for no apparent reason. Just to be clear these boys are supposed to be smart and the best they can come up with is to continuously run around the maze making maps and keeping it a total secret from the majority of the group. They kept saying "we have tried everything", well clearly not as within a few days of the introduction of Thomas the code has been cracked and they were escaping I just got so tired of hearing it, if you're trapped in an apparently exitless maze why are you literally running in circles achieving precisely nothing?!

On the up side it was a light read for a young adult dystopia, don't expect any The Hunger Games emotional weight as the characters here are more two dimensional than a piece of paper. I know that sounds harsh but I actually like a bit of substance to my characters and just because this is young adult I see no need to dumb down their plight.

On the whole this was a bit of a miss for me, I'll read the rest of the series but if I didn't already have them on my bookshelf I don't think I'd care enough to hunt them down. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
Interesting science fiction book for young adults. ( )
  Baochuan | Jan 27, 2017 |
its really weird to b done a book and have more questions now than i did after the first 5 chapters. yet im interested and happy that i bought the scorch trials. onto the next i guess ( )
  jordanakaforever | Jan 13, 2017 |
Wasn Scheiß. Die Story war unausgegoren, hanebüchen; der Schreibstil als hätte sich eine 14-jährige an einer Geschichte versucht und die wäre zufällig im Druck gelandet.

Ständig wurde etwas wiederholt. In einem Kapitel wollte Thomas gleich 3 mal aufstehen und jemandem Applaudieren, der seiner Meinung etwas gutes gesagt hat. Thomas lässt sich von jemandem etwas erklären, um dann zu denken "Ach ja, das hat mir ja schon jemand anderes erzählt." Ja, und daran kann sich der Leser auch noch ganz gut erinnern, weil das erst letzte Seite passiert ist.

Die Charaktere haben keinerlei Persönlichkeit. Jedes mal wenn einer gestorben ist war das eher eine Och, hm, ja.-Reaktion. Nicht nur vom Leser, Thomas interessiert sich auch einen Dreck für seine Mitmenschen. Angeblich ist das anders, weil der Autor ständig schreibt, dass das nicht so ist, aber gefühlt habe ich davon nichts. Genausowenig von anderen Emotionen. Dashner schreibt, dass Thomas irgendetwas fühlt, aber merkt es der Leser? Nö. Ihr würdet mir jetzt auch nicht glauben wenn ich schreibe, dass ich diese Rezension schrieb als ich vollkommen glücklich war, als hätte ich mir gerade Hundewelpenfotos angeguckt. Man kann als Autor nicht einfach eine Puppe hinstellen und sagen, das fühlt sie jetzt. So funktioniert das nicht. Die restlichen Figuren waren genauso interessant.

Das "Labyrinth". Man sieht davon als Leser überhaupt nichts. Beim Lesen hatte ich den Eindruck, das ist nur ein einziger Gang, der zur Klippe führt.

Dann gehts weiter mit dem Bauernhofleben: Die Jungs versorgen sich selbst. Dennoch gibt es jeden Tag zu jeder Mahlzeit Fleisch. Morgens, Mittags, Abends, Zwischendurch. Wie? Müssen die das Vieh nicht erst großziehen vor dem Schlachten? Ansosnten könnten sie ja damit nicht weiter züchten. Sehr seltsam.

Ein anderes Problem waren die Uhrzeiten. Die Tageszeit war, was der Autor bestimmt hat. Es kann sein, dass Thomas aufwacht, drei Schritte läuft, und dann ist es plötzlich Abend. Überspitzt ausgedrückt. Es kommt einfach nicht rüber, dass in der Zwischenzeit mehrere Stunden oder sogar ein ganzer Tag vergangen sind.

Plotmäßig passiert auch nicht wirklich was. Deus ex machina. Deus ex machina überall. Alles in allem sehr langweilig weil die Charaktere nie vor Herausvorderungen oder Verluste gestellt werden (naja, ausser, dass konstant welche sterben. Aber das interessiert ja keinen).

Warum zur Hölle da plötzlich überaus für das Buch unwichtige Superkräfte bei Thomas aufgetaucht sind soll mir der Autor auch erst mal erklären.

Leckomio, war das schlecht.

Und die wichtigste Frage: Was ist mit dem Hund passiert?? ( )
  Nomnivor | Jan 12, 2017 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,224,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible