Maze Runner by James Dashner

Member:sgrame
Title:Maze Runner
Authors:James Dashner
Info:
Tags:teen fiction, science fiction, survival, dystopia, cooperation

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (463)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (466)
This is a dystopian that anyone could enjoy. There's secrets, conspiracies and betrayal around every turn.

First off, the characters were all so complex. I never met a single character who wasn't important in this story. Thomas was the protagonist, and he was so likable! But, he was also an unreliable character. (One of my favorite types of characters!). He didn't remember anyone or anything from his past, and yet being in the Maze reminded him of something, something bad.

The "villains" in this story were mostly unseen, yet feared all the same. I couldn't help but feel despair and angst as much as the other boys did. It kind of felt like the villain was "Big Brother" from 1984. Unseen but terrifying!

I also loved the fact that this book also introduced a paranormal aspect. That aspect definitely helped this story grow.

I couldn't stand one thing, though and that was the made up swear words! It was so annoying! I mean, if you're going to swear just do it. Don't make up words for it. It makes me feel childish.

The book also has a slow start, but once the "good things" start hapenning, you won't be able to put down the book.

Rating: 4 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
I'll admit...this book had me going and going and going. I really wanted to know what the ending would give me. I had all these theories in my head as to what was actually going on and where it could lead to...and then I reach the ending and I just felt...meh. It's an okay book if you like young adult thrillers, but pick up something like The Hunger Games if better writing is more your type. Like a lot of other reviewers said, much of the plot of the book revolved around people withholding information...much of which could have made this a much shorter novella. The characters were flat and uninteresting, and I was more amused than anything when anything of importance happened to them...like dying, for example.

After watching the trailer for the movie, I think this one time, the movie might be better than the book. Guess I'll wait till it's on tv to find out. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Interesting premise -- reminds me of William Sleator's House of Stairs. It also seems as though it can be the first book in a series. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
The book succeeds at being entertaining, but not at being satisfying. It's a "this is the way we've always done it" story. You know those? Some new guy comes into a group or society that lives in a closed circle. He throws a spanner in the works, breaks all the rules. The leaders try to punish him and his friends pressure him to stop, but he becomes the hero anyway. Like if White Man's Burden was a novel. "Sword of Truth" did it. And it's a plot that I'm not thrilled with. Too heavy-handed with the Jesus-savior-chosen one having to save everyone from the sins of humanity. But that's not all I don't like.

James Dashner went to the "Dan Brown School of Writing". Short chapters, each ending with some kind of shock cliffhanger. False thrills that are melodramatized. And it NEVER explains anything. The main character gets amnesia and everytime he asks a damn question, people say "you'll find out" or "we don't talk about that" or they just shake their head sadly as if too depressed to speak. It's aggravating, because there's no reason for them to be so obtuse. You'd think they'd want to bring him up to speed to get him helping everyone else out faster. But no, everyone subscribes to the "Antagonistic High School Jock" handbook. No one understands how to work together.

And finally, this whole "stick kids with no memory in a maze" concept is the biggest, most ridiculous Xanatos Gambit I've ever heard or seen. It's all a plot to find children who will be smart enough to get rid of a plague that's affecting the world on the outside. Huh?! So what do the maze monsters have to do with that? How do they get built? Why are two of you telepathic? Why isn't anyone else? How were they able to create their amnesia? How does any of this help survive the plague? And it's all through a company named "WICKED". I mean, come on, how heavy-handed can you get? How can I take a company seriously that names itself WICKED? And to boot, the ending negates everything before it, turning the story into garbage.

It feels like a cheap thriller that somehow gained popularity on little more than originality of concept. But the insides are as flimsy as a cracker. ( )
  theWallflower | Jun 8, 2015 |
AFter getting injected into an unknown world Thomas tries to get information about the place he has been sent to. After never getting responses Thomas goes into the woods and finds a graveyard. At the graveyard he is attacked by someone who has been stung by a Griever.Grievers are the robots that protect the maze. Thomas wants to know whats on the other side of that maze and he's not going to let anything get in his way.
I personally enjoyed this book because it has good writing and is easy to follow. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Science fiction and dystopian novel. ( )
  GabiJ.G1 | May 31, 2015 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,861,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible