Maze Runner by James Dashner

Member:sgrame
Title:Maze Runner
Authors:James Dashner
Info:
Tags:teen fiction, science fiction, survival, dystopia, cooperation

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (550)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (558)
No wonder this has been compared to The Hunger Games! Although it took a while to get going (it took me about 50 pages), once it hit its straps there was no stopping and the action proceeded at break-neck speed until the surprise ending. Well, when I say ending, it's really just the beginning and I can't wait to read the next 2 sequels. Hopefully they are just as good! ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
Thomas comes up into a place named The Glade.
He notices a labyrinth, which they call the Maze, which dangerous creatures roam.
He enters the maze with Minho, and Thomas manages to kill one.
With the newly obtained information, they head into the maze to find the exit.
They find creatures that guard the exit, after a bloody fight, they find the way out of the horrific maze. ( )
  MarG.B3 | May 29, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This book had been staring to me for the last few years. When I heard they were going to make it into a movie, I decided I should probably read it first. Not sure if I'm happy with that decision.

Around me I've heard a lot of my friends telling me this is such a wonderful novel, but I really can't feel that thrilled. I was slightly bored reading it and even worse, the world didn't make any sense. At all.

I've been trying to work out just about how many people there would have to be in this boys-only world. There seem to be quite a lot of them, which doesn't feel right as there is just one new arrival every once in a while, there are a dozen or so kids in the graveyard (dead I mean) and the people who've been here the longest have stayed there for about 2 years! Where do all the characters come from? (I mean, even there council is crowded).

And in those 2 years you'll be happy to learn they spent their time basically running around a maze like headless chickens, and working out sadistic expulsion ceremonies for the people who won't obey the rules. Seriously, whoever thought that one out (and created the belt) has some mental issues.

The whole maze doesn't make sense, no matter how you look at it. Why do these people keep running there? More importantly, why is it there in the first place? The answers given are - to say the least- weak and I'm not buying it. The characters are also flat and so very special, I couldn't care for them. The story ends on a massive cliffhanger, so if you want to know what happens you'll have to continue reading... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
The Maze Runner concerns Thomas, a boy who arrives in the isolated, and seemingly paradise-esque, Glade, where a group of boys—and only boys—await him. The next day, unexpectedly, a girl arrives—the first girl to ever enter the Glade. This series of events triggers a sort of apocalypse, and Thomas must band together with his comrades to find a way out of the maze. The progression of events keeps you engaged, and the story ends with a cliffhanger that encourages you to buy the next book, which happily, is readily available.

This is a book that progresses very quickly, so if you’re looking for something to-the-point, and along the same vein of “dystopian adolescent nightmare” (think Ender’s Game, The Hunger Games, etc), then this is an okay book to pick up.

The concept is great—A group of boys are trapped in the center of a maze, trying to search for a way out with no memory of the outside world, why they’re trapped, nor the point of their situation. However, the amateur prose; and general skepticism that I unfortunately could not let go of; throughout the book dampened my enjoyment of it. It was difficult to connect to characters in a way that made me care about them, and I only empathized with Newt and Alby because their relationship was more realistic and engaging than the one between Thomas and Chuck, or even Thomas and Teresa.

The prose is simplistic, which is acceptable as this is for a younger age demographic—perhaps 10- to 13- year-olds?—but often falls into stating emotions rather than explaining them, “Thomas was humiliated and scared. He felt like he’d shrunk to the size of a small rat.” [Dashner, 20]

The prose can also be repetitive at times, possibly in an attempt to hammer home emotions and plot points. This author seems to lack faith in his readers to make connections on their own; emotions are told rather than shown. This ends up making the final scenes a lot less visceral than they could have been—Dashner seems to show real passion and ability in this scene but the lack of buildup makes the moment fall flat.

That said, a huge positive of this book is that the characters’ reactions to things are realistic to their situation—after his first night in the maze, Thomas breaks down crying and does not stop until he cannot physically cry anymore, and Minho does not judge him at all. Crying is healthy and accepted; rage, terror and pain all appear here, often in dangerous cocktails that lead to violent encounters, but the characters all do extremely brave and resourceful things, and learn to control their emotions when required—and you believe that this is exactly how a group of boys in their situation would behave.

Overall, The Maze Runner is a good read if you’re looking for something engaging and quick. While the prose may throw you off once in a while, it’s worth getting through—the concept is riveting and if Dashner can master his story, the next installment could be better. ( )
1 vote Rituleen | May 22, 2016 |
I read this book after I had seen the movie and because I liked the movie so much. The premise of "the Glade" was a fascinating one for me; I found it new and fresh. Even though I knew the outcome (more or less) of the first book, I was still hanging on every word of the book. A rollicking good read! ( )
  OzzieJello | May 12, 2016 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible