The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1) by…

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by James Dashner

Member:inkstained
Title:The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Dystopia, Fiction (Young Adult & Middle Grade), Science Fiction & Fantasy, Your library, To read

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (452)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (455)
This was our YA book club read for September, and there's a movie adaptation currently in theaters. The storyline was interesting. I liked how we learned things as Thomas did about the Glade/Maze/Etc. I liked the introduction and mystery of Teresa. I liked the whole telekinesis thing between them. Overall, though, I felt this one fell short, for a couple of reasons:

While I appreciated the absence of "real" curse words, the kids in this book had made up their own cursing vocabulary, so basically, the book was full of substitute curse words, which it used a LOT. I understand that when you throw a bunch of teen boys in an environment together, there's going to be swearing, but the overuse of it just seems to detract from the book in my opinion.

I greatly dislike the current trend of writing series books that cannot be read as stand-alones that finish a story. It bothers me when I get to the end of a book and none of the big questions are answered. Sure, they obviously achieved something, but the last few chapters of this book are just a set up for the next book, and nothing is answered. None of the questions that are raised throughout the book have resolution. Ugg.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? No. It wasn't that awesome.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Probably not, but I wouldn't prevent her from reading it if she were wanting to.

3 of 5 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
Eh, mixed feelings. Some really neat ideas, but some really clumsy writing. Imo. I won't read the next. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
RGG: A cross between Lord of the Flies and Ender's Game, while the character development is strong, the plot moves frustrating slowly as the clues to what's happening seem to take forever to be revealed. Reading Level: 12-14; FP X.
  rgruberexcel | Apr 13, 2015 |
  rgruberexcel | Apr 13, 2015 |
Personal Response- I truly enjoyed reading this book. It was was fast paced and kept me wanting to continue reading late into the night. I enjoyed that it was a mystery and the inner dialogue Thomas had throughout the novel.

Curricular Connections- At my school we actually have started to read this novel in the 6th grade. In the book there is quite a lot of vocabulary so that can be used for language arts. The idea of working together and having certain jobs can lead to good discussion on what those students would do if they were in that situation. ( )
  amy.wesen | Apr 12, 2015 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,721,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible