The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1) by…

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by James Dashner

7,021565515 (3.82)1 / 314
Member:inkstained
Title:The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Dystopia, Fiction (Young Adult & Middle Grade), Science Fiction & Fantasy, Your library, To read

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (557)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (565)
Probably more like 2.5 stars. It's fast-paced and intriguing, but the execution is a little annoying. How many times do we need to read about Thomas asking questions and then being told not to ask questions? If you like this genre, you'll probably like the book; but honestly, you could probably just watch the movie. It's one of the rare instances where I think not very much is lost in the adaptation. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
Meh. It was fine. I enjoyed listening to it with my kid but it's not something I would have finished if it were just me. We'll be listening to the second one in the near future. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
This book doesn't give you any real history. You don't know why these boys are being sent to this place. You don't know why they can't get out. They have been in the Glade for 2 years and haven't figured out how to get out/escape. The "runners" go into the maze when the walls open up during the day and they try to see if they can find an opening. Then Thomas shows up and then Teresa and everything changes. It's an interesting read and I wanted to get to the end to see what happens. Do they get out? Do they all die? Or do they stay there forever? what does, is pulls you into the story. On to Book Two! ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I was a bit disappointed with this book compared to all of the praise it got in reviews and blogs. The main character, Thomas, woke up in a box that was seemingly going up. When it reached the top and opened he was met with a large group of boys who all lived there. They were in the middle of a huge maze and had everything they needed to survive, although they are looking for a way out. I thought the whole idea of this wasn't very interesting or unique because throughout the book they refer to the people who put them there as "Creators". I thought that this was not very different then other dystopia novels. Many of them involve a bad government forcing them to do something cruel or to be subject to them. I thought the character development was pretty decent. Especially due to the fact that Thomas does not find out his name until a bit later in the book. The other characters in the book are all very different from each other so it provides a good dialogue. With a lot of humor and a plot twist later on it was a pretty good book. The only thing I didn't like was how it wasn't very different compared to other dystopian books and did not live up to its reviews because of this. ( )
  fennsli7903 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Mind blown! This was a thinking woman/man's kinda book. It constantly kept me thinking, wondering, trying to work out what was going on. I only had a good idea about what was happening once throughout the entire story.

This was really good. It kept me interested the whole way through the book. I was cheering and jeering for characters and getting completely wrapped up in the story. I think this is one of the best plots I've read in a long time. Maybe because this isn't my usual type of story, but it captured me. I am very much looking forward to starting the next book in the series and am seriously happy with myself for buying the whole series at once!

Also, Dylan O'Brien is gonna kick so much ass as Thomas! Looking forward to the movie even though I know there's a high probability that they will ruin it. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,605,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible