The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:creighley
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Futuristic-fiction; Dystopia; YA

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (437)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (440)
Not bad, but not great. Definitely a plot driven novel that is geared toward young adults. The concept is fascinating, but the characters are very one dimensional in this first book of the series. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
Author James Dashner creates a sub-language all its own for teens trapped in the Glade, and it’s totally convincing, easy to follow, and a very cool adjunct to the description of a very strange life. Readers share Thomas’s sense of confusion right from the start, and are pulled straight into his thoughts and fears. As the Greenbean (newest member) learns his way around, the Glade becomes scarily real, but change is coming. And change is always scarier than following the status quo.

The Maze Runner offers a taste of isolation, rebellion, change and mystery, with dangerous threats, monsters all the more scary for being so scarcely described, and the battle for control, of self, others, or destiny, rising to the fore. The story’s complete by the end of the book, but more is most urgently promised and it’s hard not to insist on picking up the next book straight away.

I don’t know what the movie will be like, but I can imagine they’ll do a good job. The Maze Runner is the sort of book that creates just enough to imagine it all without boring readers in the telling; highly recommended.

Disclosure: I kept reading bits of it in stores, so I asked for it for Christmas and I’m glad I did. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Feb 18, 2015 |
Good Read, extremely emotional and overall enjoyable. I look forward to seeing more from the characters and see friendships develop. Newt is my favourite character from the book and I cannot wait to delve deeper into his story and maybe learn a bit of his background in future books. Scorch Trials, here I come! ( )
  hannahnicole | Feb 17, 2015 |
A lot of people gave this book 2 stars here. I gave it 5 starts because I couldn't put this book down. I really liked it. I thought maybe I wasn't going to read the rest of the series, but now I want to because I want to know what happen to these kids. It's a Third person POV but it is descriptive that you still feel the character as if it was a 1st person POV. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
2.5...ish.

The book was alright. I think if I'd been a loooooot younger, like maybe 10, I would have liked it a lot better. as it happens I'm not 10 and so I didn't get to enjoy it the same way.

The characters were bland, Thomas spent an awful lot of time saying how Smart he thought he was (but doing nothing smart); one thing the characters had in their favor though was that they actually acted perfectly the role of teenagers: they were all just as annoying and infuriating.
I can't say I cared for many of them. Literally. Characters died and I did not give a damn. Newt and Minho were okayish. Alby was an idiot.

The idea of the maze was interesting, but that it was "unsolvable" and the only way out was so... dumb, that no one thought to compare the sections was unbelievable, and it made it really bad. I'm not sure why they're building up to, but right now I fail to see how having the kids through any of that will solve anything. Interesting concept, doubtful way to get results.

Will read more and see how it goes. ( )
  AshuritaLove | Feb 11, 2015 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible