The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

6,686559559 (3.83)1 / 306
Member:creighley
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Futuristic-fiction; Dystopia; YA

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (547)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (555)
Amazing! ( )
  ethanlu121 | May 2, 2016 |
3.5 ( )
  irishred5 | Apr 30, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book very much. It is very easy to read and it kept me interested. I hope to read the other ones in the series. ( )
  LMacLean | Apr 14, 2016 |
This has been a popular book for several years ,and I knew I wanted to find out why. It has a intriguing story from the first page and kept me reading to find out more. This book would appeal to middle school or young adult readers. And, since the main characters are boys, I think this would be a good choice for male readers.
  KristenNevala | Apr 9, 2016 |
Had a hard time putting this down to do anything I needed to do in a normal day! It was very addicting. As I write this review, I'm already antsy to get back to book 2 which I started immediately upon finishing The Maze Runner. I think the main character Thomas is incredibly likable and relatable. I felt his emotions like they were my own throughout the story. I'm still a little confused as to what is going on, even having read The Kill Order first, so I'm anxious to see what more clues we gain from the next installment! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible