The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (edition 2010)

by James Dashner

Member:peter.postma
Title:The Maze Runner
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Editie: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pagina's
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, science fiction, dystopia, mystery, amnesia

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (390)  German (1)  All languages (391)
A very, very good book... like the Hunger Games but even faster-paced and better-written. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Excellent! Non-stop action, cliffhangers and plot twists will keep you turning the pages until the very end, then anxiously waiting for book 2. A great read. ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Not bad. It's for kids, but overall written quite well. Just a fun read. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Awesome! I enjoyed this (yet another) young adult dystopian novel. I especially enjoyed that the protagonist is a male. Lots of twists and turns, much like the maze itself. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  silva_44 | Sep 25, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This book had been staring to me for the last few years. When I heard they were going to make it into a movie, I decided I should probably read it first. Not sure if I'm happy with that decision.

Around me I've heard a lot of my friends telling me this is such a wonderful novel, but I really can't feel that thrilled. I was slightly bored reading it and even worse, the world didn't make any sense. At all.

I've been trying to work out just about how many people there would have to be in this boys-only world. There seem to be quite a lot of them, which doesn't feel right as there is just one new arrival every once in a while, there are a dozen or so kids in the graveyard (dead I mean) and the people who've been here the longest have stayed there for about 2 years! Where do all the characters come from? (I mean, even there council is crowded).

And in those 2 years you'll be happy to learn they spent their time basically running around a maze like headless chickens, and working out sadistic expulsion ceremonies for the people who won't obey the rules. Seriously, whoever thought that one out (and created the belt) has some mental issues.

The whole maze doesn't make sense, no matter how you look at it. Why do these people keep running there? More importantly, why is it there in the first place? The answers given are - to say the least- weak and I'm not buying it. The characters are also flat and so very special, I couldn't care for them. The story ends on a massive cliffhanger, so if you want to know what happens you'll have to continue reading... ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air. Metal ground against metal; a lurching shudder shook the floor beneath him.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible