The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (edition 2010)

by James Dashner

4,749381987 (3.89)249
Member:peter.postma
Title:The Maze Runner
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Editie: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pagina's
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, science fiction, dystopia, mystery, amnesia

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12)
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.

English (377)  German (1)  All languages (378)
I realize that I'm late to the party, which is weird considering that the Maze Runner was a series that I've been meaning to read, but never had the chance to.

Till now!

It all started when I found out the movie came out. After discussing the trailer with a friend of mine, I decided to read it. She said the trailer looked amazing and had tons of action, so as someone who loves action and amazing stuff I decided to take a closer look at the Maze Runner.

Reading this was a struggle. A really big struggle. If I didn't agree to read it and have my friend check up on my reading status, I would have dropped this book. Why? It's because of the first half of the novel.

The beginning is so excruciatingly boring, so painful to read that I'm surprised I made it out okay. Thomas, the main character of this story, details the mundane life of a bunch of boys trapped inside a Maze. They don't know why they are there, but only that this is where they live now. This should have been interested, especially since outside of their home there are creatures that try to kill them and that the maze moves every day, but instead of having an air of mystery it was boring.

Thankfully, things do pick up and it does get really interesting, but that first part....I dunno man, the new lingo, the fact that nothing happens, and that it takes so long for the story to pick up made me wonder why I was reading this and why it was so popular. When things do start to get pick up, they move quickly and pack a punch.

I was thankful for that.

I was especially glad to see a group of guys take the lead in a YA novel and that they worked as a team. No Lord of the Flies rock killing happening here. People do die though, which is great considering the world that Dashner set up. If everyone lived, I think I would have thrown my ereader to the ground.

I do think that the special gift that Thomas has is a bit pointless. Yea, pointless is a good word for it. Considering how gruesome the world is, his little quirk seemed out of place. I still don't really understand the world, but I'm sure all of that will be revealed in the following books.

Overall: This is a hard book to get into. Really hard, in fact. The pacing is slow, in the beginning, and you never really get a good grasp at Thomas as a character. However, once things pick up, they really do pick up and I found myself glued to the pages to see what would happen next.

If you can get over the first hurdle, you might find yourself enjoying this novel. I do wonder how the movie will deal with the slow beginning though.

Review can also be found on BookingRehab
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Read for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating:4.25
Character Rating: 3.75

Read It Rate It: I enjoyed The Maze Runner by James Dashner so much that I ended up buying the series because I didn't think the Library wanted me to keep it. Who says the Library doesn't sale books! ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 7, 2014 |
RGG: A cross between Lord of the Flies and Ender's Game, while the character development is strong, the plot moves frustrating slowly as the clues to what's happening seem to take forever to be revealed. Reading Level: 12-14; FP X.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 7, 2014 |
  rgruberexcel | Sep 7, 2014 |
Posted first to Blog Critics as Book Review: 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner.

What would happen if you found yourself in a strange and dangerous place with no memory of your past? What if the only thing you could remember was your name?

In The Maze Runner by James Dashner, you are introduced to a world where death is often just around the next corner. A group of boys find themselves in a strange place they call the glade, trying to survive, and if possible escape back to their home. Yet, while they know they have a home, they have no memory of anything prior to the maze. With above average intelligence they have found a way to build a society of sorts in order to survive.

When Thomas finds himself in a box with no memories, he is terrified when the box begins to move, and stopping abruptly opens to his vision of a strange group of teens he does not know. They pull him out of his trap only to treat him unkindly, and in fact seem somewhat threatened by him. His fear only further increases as he slowly learns more of this place where he finds himself. As the danger of his situation comes somewhat clearer, he tries to find any memory, even a small speck to help him understand. There is nothing there.

There are dangerous creatures outside the walls of their protection called grievers. Within the walls they are safe, except from each other, but the world outside the walls is treacherous. The society each has a task to do to keep the peace, and one of the most dangerous tasks is that of the runners. They must find the secret of the maze hidden outside their walls in order to return home. Every day the maze changes and every day the changes are mapped for some form of answer.

Strange things appear to be happening, even more so since Thomas was discovered in the box. Although that is how everyone arrived, his presence seems to cause a shift. That distrust only becomes clearer when a new inhabitant is introduced through the box. This time it is a girl. Initially uttering strange phrases, shock emanates from the team when she immediately recognizes Thomas and calls him by name. Yet as she is pulled from the box she too no longer remembers. The tension only thickens as they realize she is the last. No more members will be coming through.

When Thomas breaks the rules by rescuing two of the runners from outside the walls he causes a rift, and yet creates believers as well. Is he their doom or their resurrection? The time of the maze is closing. Can they save themselves or will they perish, never knowing the answers.

Dashner creates a world of danger and suspense. His creatures are a cross between technology and the ugly things that go bump in the night. He has done an amazing job of creating characters that are likable, and those who are the bullies and jerks, just as we see in the real world. The fear is pervasive, creating uneasy hysteria and nervous inhabitants. The intelligence of those selected helps them to form a society, one necessary to sustain them and to help them come up with answers. The danger feels real and the fear follows you as you begin to understand the characters. The confusion keeps you guessing, cheering and hoping.

This is a great work full of danger and fear, and riddled with suspense. While a great YA novel, adults will also be interested in the depth of the story. This would be a great addition to your book shelf, as well as that of your teen. ( )
  wrighton-time | Sep 5, 2014 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey, and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Teen must run through maze / To figure out his past and / Survive scary plot. (legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:17 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape.

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible