The Maze Runner (Book 1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner (Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by James Dashner

9,204636487 (3.81)1 / 332
Member:Lauren_Salem
Title:The Maze Runner (Book 1)
Authors:James Dashner
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (smammers)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (aeleone)
    aeleone: More sci-fi than Maze Runner, but the characters experience a similar situation as the boys in the maze. Plus, it's super classic.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (bookworm12, trillianiris)
    trillianiris: When I read this, it reminded me of an orchestrated Lord of the Flies.
    Gone by Michael Grant (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Incredible world-building and suspense-building featuring a plethora of interesting and sympathetic characters.
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Bit more fantasy than The Maze Runner, but a similar setup (hero who's trapped) and pace.
    Running With the Wolves by J.E. Reed (paigemartin)
    paigemartin: The characters are placed in a foreign environment without an understanding of how they got there or who put them there. The battle to escape back to reality is filled with monsters and adventures that lead to an incredible amount of character development.… (more)
    Wool by Hugh Howey (KatyBee)
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Waterbuggg)
    Waterbuggg: Both books are action-packed and have a similar premise and secret.
    The Last Girl by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)
    Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi (bluenotebookonline)
    bluenotebookonline: Also action packed, has a dystopian setting, includes quite a bit of kids vs. adults, etc. Prinz award winner.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (Anonymous user)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (gaialover)
    Das Labyrinth erwacht by Rainer Wekwerth (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Gardener by S.A. Bodeen (kaledrina)
    The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy) by Joe Hart (LiteraryReadaholic)

English (626)  Spanish (6)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (636)
Pretty good, but it didn't stay with me afterwards. I wanted to understand the scale and structure and purpose of the maze better. I understand that's being saved for the sequel, but we should get at least a few answers in the first book. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is, unsurprisingly, a far better experience than the movie, though I definitely enjoyed the movie well enough and found that it actually followed the book pretty well. It's a fast, engaging read, and worth it if you found the movie plot at all intriguing. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Aug 26, 2018 |
Thought it was decent first novel in the series. Hope some of the questions that the initial book left me with get explored and answered in the second ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
This is a fun little book, and I can see why it's grown in popularity lately. A little predictable, but I had some fun reading it. Might pick up the next one, but I'm not certain right now. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Aug 14, 2018 |
An interesting middle grade dystopian novel in which the main character wakes up as he is about to enter a small community of boys surrounded by a maze. He only knows his name, and remembers nothing of life before this, and has to adjust to his new surroundings, which he seems to do with ease. The reader ends up learning about him and life in the Glade, as it is called, as he learns about it himself, from the social structure to the mysteries of the maze around them. I read this after my 10 year old got it from the library, prompted by a summer reading list. I think it was an interesting choice for the list, and only wish that I had realized when I picked it up to read it that it was a series - I enjoyed it enough to be curious about what happens in the next book.
  GretchenLynn | Aug 8, 2018 |

The story reads like a maze with erroneous turns, dead ends, and a plot that should work but falls short.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Media Connection, Constance G. Pappas (Nov 1, 2009)

James Dashner has created a thrilling dystopian novel.

The Maze Runner has a great hook, and fans of dystopian literature, particularly older fans of Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember (Random, 2003), will likely enjoy this title and ask for the inevitable sequel.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Kristin Anderson (Oct 1, 2009)

With a fast-paced narrative steadily answering the myriad questions that arise and an ever-increasing air of tension, Dashner's suspenseful adventure will keep readers guessing until the very end.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 21, 2009)

James Dashnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musselman, DanExecutive producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reichler, MitchellAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straub, PhilipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lynette. This book was a three-year journey,
and you never doubted.
He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air.

Sixteen-year-old Thomas wakes up with no memory in the middle of a maze and realizes he must work with the community in which he finds himself if he is to escape. (Novelist).
Teen must run through maze
To figure out his past and
Survive scary plot.
(legallypuzzled)

The first book in the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series—The Maze Runner is a modern classic, perfect for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

James Dashner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,805,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible