Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can…

Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Jamie Oliver

Member:othersam
Title:Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
Authors:Jamie Oliver
Info:Michael Joseph (2008), Hardcover, 359 pages
Rating:*****

Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver (2008)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Another good one, with folks who don't have specialty food stores in their neighborhood. Or town. Or county!
Plain ol' Joes learning how to make good food, nice read, excellent recipes. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
It is hard to not get behind a book with such a worthy message. The photos are great - lots of steps and ingredient shots. The food looks good and I look forward to testing some of these recipes out. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Ideal for when you need something tasty in a hurry, with simple ingredients ( )
  Melanielgarrett | Apr 2, 2013 |
Jamie Oliver needs no introduction from me – and no help with his book-sales either! But I recommend Jamie’s Ministry of Food anyway, for one simple reason. It’s brilliant.
Cooking good meals from scratch for yourself and those around you is one of the most useful skills you can learn as a human being. It’s also fun. If you’ve spent the rest of the day doing something cerebral and abstract – such as writing – the act of making something physical (and delicious!) can be extremely satisfying. This book will show you how to do it.
There’s a short section on what equipment you’ll need and another on what basics to keep in your store cupboard: both are minimal, unextravagant and unpretentious. Then there are the recipes themselves: clear, straightforward (if enthusiastic!) instructions on how to make a great mix of dishes including roasts, curries, stir-fries, puddings and a feast of other goodies to try.
Jamie’s Ministry of Food is written and constructed to tempt people who’ve never cooked before, but as a reasonably well-seasoned (or is that pickled?) kitchen dabbler I’m finding plenty in the book to get my teeth into. The results of his instructions for how to make home-made curry pastes are extremely impressive – every bit as delicious as recipes I’ve tried from specialist curry cookbooks. Jamie’s use of a ‘vegetable trivet’ – a sort of platform of veg at the bottom of the roasting tin on which to rest your meat so its juices will combine with it to form the basis for amazing gravy – was a revelation. And the ‘twenty-minute meals’ section is just awesome.
Mr Oliver is on a crusade to persuade people to eat better and more healthily by cooking for themselves. While I have to say I’ve sometimes found his missionary zeal on tv a bit offputting, this book won me over completely. In its introduction Jamie asks everyone to ‘pass it on’ by teaching a recipe to two or three people they know. Whether I’ll go that far I don’t know, but I’ve no hesitation in recommending the book itself: it’s terrific. Give it a try. ( )
  othersam | Mar 8, 2011 |
Media Room baskets
  vstoner1949 | Apr 17, 2010 |

Presents easy, healthy recipes, including breakfast, pastries, soups, and entrees, and encourages readers to pass the recipes on to friends and relatives.

Hyperion and Voice

2 editions of this book were published by Hyperion and Voice.

Editions: 1401323596, 1401310478

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,187,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible