The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama

The Samurai's Garden (1994)

by Gail Tsukiyama

1,513464,889 (4)73

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
This book has a "read more than once" tag because I did read it more than once. When I got to the last third of the book, it started to sound more and more familiar. It is a good story; just not one that I would have read twice had I realized! ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
Love and lessons learned growing up during war-time Japan. Sand, a garden, storms, and recovering from TB. Understated, lovely story filled with poignant wisdom. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Gentle loving book about a young man with tuberculosis that is sent to his family's rural home to heal. Set in the background of the war between the Japanese and the Chinese, it also discusses the shared life of a woman with leprosy and the older man who takes care of both the village and the sick man. Additional story is the discovery that his father has a long term mistress. I want to read more by this author. ( )
  Pmaurer | Oct 16, 2015 |
When a story comes back to you after many years that means it left an impression. Gathering good books again and building a library of them to study this one resurfaced. The gentle weaving together of characters becomes a powerful meditation on the meaning of love, family and culture. Able to reach across time and space, this book touches strong emotions and provides the stepping-stones to help the reader imagine places we have never been and times we have never seen. Like a skilled gardener, Tsukiyama takes her time and leads one through an experience that does some of the great things literature is capable of. ( )
  a_forester | Sep 12, 2014 |
I finished The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama in tears. Stephen, a young Chinese, is at college when he contracts TB and his family sends him to their summer home in Japan to get well. He will be in the care of Matsu, an elderly caretaker whom Stephen always felt was very remote. Away from the hectic, frenzied world of China, Stephen finds himself in the quiet remote village. This book is not for anyone that demands action or conflict or high drama but it will be one of the treasures on my bookshelves. The writing is spare, clean and lovely. ( )
  mysterymax | Jun 11, 2014 |
Tsukiyama's writing is crystalline and delicate, notably in her evocation of time and place. This quiet tale of affection between people whose countries are at war speaks of a humanity that transcends geopolitics.
added by mysterymax | editPublisher's Weekly (Feb 27, 1995)

No one spoke, the host, the guest, the white chrysanthemums.
In memory of Thomas Yam
I wanted to find my own way, so this morning I persuaded my father to let me travel alone from his apartment in Kobe to my grandfather's beach house in Tarumi.

The daughter of a Chinese mother and a Japanese father, Tsukiyama uses the Japanese invasion of China during the late 1930s as a somber backdrop for her unusual story about a 20-year-old Chinese painter named Stephen who is sent to his family's summer home in a Japanese coastal village to recover from a bout with tuberculosis. Here he is cared for by Matsu, a reticent housekeeper and a master gardener. Over the course of a remarkable year, Stephen learns Matsu's secret and gains not only physical strength, but also profound spiritual insight. Matsu is a samurai of the soul, a man devoted to doing good and finding beauty in a cruel and arbitrary world, and Stephen is a noble student, learning to appreciate Matsu's generous and nurturing way of life and to love Matsu's soulmate, gentle Sachi, a woman afflicted with leprosy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:18 -0400)

In 1938, Stephen Chan, 20, who lives in Hong Kong, is sent to recover from tuberculosis in his family┐s summer house in Japan. While there he becomes privy to a romantic triangle between a beautiful woman leper and two men, a romance he records in his diary. A tale of Oriental love and friendship by the author of Women of the Silk.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible