Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Ash by Malinda Lo
    The Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Another old story (this time, the Greek myth of Persephone) retold as a romance between two young women.
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Kerian)
    Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both Cinderella reimaginings with similar atmospheres, although Ash is more fairy-ish and Phoenix and Ashes is about magicians and WWI.
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Deftly told fantasy narrative (in this case dealing with werewolves), in which a lesbian relationship is done right.

English (156)  German (2)  All languages (158)
The lovely writing and interesting world-building made for a delightful afternoon's read. I enjoyed the way the mysterious Woods and the fairies were handled, the contrast between the city and the country and between old ways and new.

My favorite passage, spoiler cut simply because it's from rather late in the book:
"That was not a particularly happy tale."

"No," Ash agreed, "but I think that few of them are."

"Why is that?"

"I think they are meant to be lessons."

"For children?"

"For life," said Ash. "Do not be seduced by false glamour; do not shirk your duties; do not wander off alone into the Wood at night." As she spoke she thought wryly, not that I've always followed those rules.

"Do not fall in love with those who cannot love you," added the huntress. "Did you learn from those lessons?"

"Not all of them," said Ash. "Did you?"
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Readable enough but it never catches fire for me as a love story. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
With it’s slightly different take on the Cinderella theme, Ash by Malinda Lo uses both lyrical writing and magical storytelling to enhance and give this age old story some depth. I think the lesbian viewpoint will enthrall many readers while many others will be taken slightly aback. My personal view is that it is hard to find someone to love and who loves you back so wherever or whenever this happens, rejoice in it.

There was never any doubt in my mind as to whether Ash would choose the beautiful huntress or the magical fairy prince, but I would rather have been shown how her feelings developed rather than simply be told. This quibble may arise because this is a YA story and so graphic details are not included. I, being a vindictive sort, would also have loved to see the wicked stepmother get her just reward.

Ash is a lovely retelling of a classic fairy tale, the author supplies a dreamlike atmosphere and a gentle romance that sees the heroine chose real life over a beautiful illusion. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 20, 2018 |
Retelling of the Cinderella fairytale with a "twist." Great concept, not so great in execution. I really wanted more of the fairy part of the fairytale, and it was a massive letdown when Ash's time in Fairy was explained away by "and then she woke up," or something to that effect. All in all, an easy read, but mostly just left me with a meh feeling. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Plot:
After her mother's death, Ash and her father were very close until he brought home a new wife. When he died shortly thereafter, and Ash was left alone with her stepmother, things turned for the worst. Now, with a stepmother prone to violent outbursts, the only solace Ash can find is in the fairy tale books she reads. It's no surprise that she starts to wish, fairies would come and take her away. What is more surprising is that an actual fairy prince, Sidhean, seems to hear her wishes and comes to bring Ash some solace. But then she meets Kaisa, a beautiful, strong huntress, and her wishes start changing.

Ash is a beautiful, queer retelling of Cinderella with the dangerous kind of fairies - what's not to love about that? I don't know, because I sure did.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2017/09/22/ash-malinda-lo/ ( )
  kalafudra | Feb 7, 2018 |
Malinda Lo’s somber and lovely “Ash” is a lesbian retelling of “Cinderella”... It features a beautiful orphan — Ash, short for Aisling, and a perfect play on the name “Cinderella” — a ­cruel, social-climbing stepmother and two sneering stepsisters. Lo gives us a vaguely medieval setting, royal hunts, grand balls and an unquestioned class hierarchy. Not until the introduction of Kaisa, the king’s gorgeous young huntress, do we get a spin on tradition.

In memory of my grandmother,

Ruth Earnshaw Lo

(1910-2006)
Aisling's mother died at midsummer.

From Barnes and Nobel

SynopsisIn the wake of her father's death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, rereading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King's Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash's capacity for love-and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.Entrancing, empowering, and romantic, Ash is about the connection between life and love, and solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

In this variation on the Cinderella story, Ash grows up believing in the fairy realm that the king and his philosophers have sought to suppress, until one day she must choose between a handsome fairy cursed to love her and the King's Huntress whom she loves.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,519,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible